Photo

Getting Reluctant 10 month old to take a breathing treatment and oral anti-biotics

21 replies to this topic

#1 sullivanre

sullivanre

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,844 posts
  • Interests:
    Sociology (Race Relations; Family; Sexuality), Politics, Current Events

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

My son Eli is sick. It's pretty bad. He has an era infection, with a fever for two days, and last night he started wheezing. By this morning the wheezing was horrible. I called the doctor and took him in. Now he's getting Tylenol for the fever, anti-biotics for his ear infection, and breathing treatments for his wheezing. He's miserable--was up all night last night moaning and groaning in Mommy's and Daddy's arms .They don't know what he has, but I have to give him breathing treatments every 4 hours. I've already given up on getting him to take the mask, but for those of you who have to give a kid breathing treatments. How do you get them to hold still or just take the treatment for more than a minute or two? What about taking the pink liquid anti-biotics (right now he's spitting half of it at us)?

He's not gonna get better unless I can get him to take this.
Rachel Mom to
Lena Adaora 5/13/10 9lbs 3oz, 19 inches

Eli Matthew 6/13/08 7lbs 3oz., 19 inches
Mark Emmanuel 6/13/08 6lbs 5oz., 18 inches

Step Mom to Branden Uche 1/4/00

#2 mama23boys

mama23boys

5000-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Rachel,

I'm sorry Eli's so sick! sad.gif

Here are our "tricks":

1. Breathing Treatments - our older DS had to get them for a few months and it was horrible. He was right around 12-16 months and it was a 2-person job. One of us had to hold his arms down and use our legs to immobilize his head from jerking back and forth fighting the treatment and the other one had to get his legs in between our legs and immoblize his legs using our legs and that person also covered his mouth/nose with the spacer/mask thingy. Did I mention it was horrible? We seriously felt like we were torturing him - but we tried everything else we could think of; cartoons that would catch his attention and distract him (didn't work), a favorite toy that he only got during breathing treatments (didn't work), silly songs (didn't work) - and finally, we just had to do a "lock down" on him. I hated every minute of it. sad.gif

2. Antibiotics - whenever we do antibiotics one of us holds the baby in a cradle position (usually my DH holds) while I get the dropper as far back into the baby's mouth as possible (without gagging), quickly release the meds, close his mouth by pushing up on his chin and then blowing in his face (this always makes our boys swallow).

I hope our methods at least give you some ideas to help you figure out what will work with Eli. I hope you are able to find a method not quite as miserable as our's was for the breathing treatments. hug99.gif

Jori, mom to 3 beautiful boys

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy." ~Author Unknown

#3 sullivanre

sullivanre

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,844 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(mama23boys @ Apr 21 2009, 09:15 PM) View Post
Rachel,

I'm sorry Eli's so sick! sad.gif
Here are our "tricks":
1. Breathing Treatments - our older DS had to get them for a few months and it was horrible. He was right around 12-16 months and it was a 2-person job. One of us had to hold his arms down and use our legs to immobilize his head from jerking back and forth fighting the treatment and the other one had to get his legs in between our legs and immoblize his legs using our legs and that person also covered his mouth/nose with the spacer/mask thingy. Did I mention it was horrible? We seriously felt like we were torturing him - but we tried everything else we could think of; cartoons that would catch his attention and distract him (didn't work), a favorite toy that he only got during breathing treatments (didn't work), silly songs (didn't work) - and finally, we just had to do a "lock down" on him. I hated every minute of it. sad.gif

2. Antibiotics - whenever we do antibiotics one of us holds the baby in a cradle position (usually my DH holds) while I get the dropper as far back into the baby's mouth as possible (without gagging), quickly release the meds, close his mouth by pushing up on his chin and then blowing in his face (this always makes our boys swallow).
I hope our methods at least give you some ideas to help you figure out what will work with Eli. I hope you are able to find a method not quite as miserable as our's was for the breathing treatments. hug99.gif

we may have to resot to the lock down method. I've been trying the distract him with a toy method. It works ok. My DH tried the Daddy's getting a breathing treatment too method. (LOL, so far that worked the best, but Daddy's getting half the medicine.

BTW--Was your son bouncing off the walls after the breathing treatment? This kid is totally wound up, and I'm afraid there's no way he'll go back to bed any time soon.

Rachel Mom to

#4 mama23boys

mama23boys

5000-Post Club

• 7,409 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(sullivanre @ Apr 21 2009, 08:21 PM) View Post
we may have to resot to the lock down method. I've been trying the distract him with a toy method. It works ok. My DH tried the Daddy's getting a breathing treatment too method. (LOL, so far that worked the best, but Daddy's getting half the medicine.

BTW--Was your son bouncing off the walls after the breathing treatment? This kid is totally wound up, and I'm afraid there's no way he'll go back to bed any time soon.

Yeah, we found the other methods to work for the first few days, maybe even a week - but after he got used to it and realized it was a 2xday thing, he was just mad! It wasn't fun, but the "lock down" definitely got the best results and he got all of the medicine that way, too.

And yes, he was always hyped up after it. We had to do it 2xday - so we tried to do it first thing in the morning and then right around 4:00ish so we had a little extra time before bed.

Good luck!

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy." ~Author Unknown

#5 moski

moski

22500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 23,686 posts
  • Interests:
    My Kids, The Beach, Red Sox, Patriots, Shopping, Cooking, and Fun

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Liam first started with nebulizer treatments at about 13 months old. It was hell. We started with Doug holding his arms while I held the mask. We moved on to putting a blanket over his arms and legs and tucking it tight around us while we did the treatment. He has been doing the treatments this week and now holds the mask himself!!! (When he gets a cold, we often have to resort to the treatments to help him clear it up).

As for the antibiotics, I used the little plunger thing they gave us with the meds. I would get it back as far as I could in his mouth and squirt it, then binky him right after so he was comforted.

Good luck! Hope he's feeling better.

And the Albuterol really gets their hearts racing so they can get pretty hyper from it. Unless they put up a really good fight for you, then they fall asleep while taking the treatment. The nurse actually said the crying while they took it was okay because then they are taking deeper breaths and getting more meds into their systems.

Maureen
Moderator of 5-11 and Book Club Forums
Mom to Three Funny Kids
Nolan 2-15-05
Meghan 2-15-05
Liam 1-25-07

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

#6 Guest_becky5

Guest_becky5
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Rachel, sorry to hear that Eli is so sick.

Have you tried taking the mask part off, and just letting him chew on the tube/putting the tube up to his face? That is ok to do too. And yes, the Albuterol makes them nutso. crazy.gif

I have found with my kids the sicker they are the harder they resist the antibiotics. wacko.gif I would try squirting tiny amounts in the side of his cheek.

Hope he feels better soon. hug99.gif

#7 Becca34

Becca34

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

So sorry! That sounds miserable, poor little guy.

Do you have a 5-point harness on your high chair or stroller? Strap him into that so he's already tied down, and then put him in front of the TV. It may distract him enough that it goes a little easier.

With meds, it always took DH and I both to hold down a baby and get the dropper as far back into the throat as possible, so they have no choice but to swallow it. It sucks!
Becca (36)
DH Bill (36)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 sullivanre

sullivanre

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,844 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Thanks ladies. I did let him chew on the tube without the mask; I guess that's less intimidating.

Unfortunately, I am supposed to give him treatments every 4 hours during the day and as needed at night. I'm really hoping he gets better soon.

The main problem I'm having with the anti-biotics is getting him to open his mouth. His dad squeezed his cheeks, but I had to squirt it in slowly because he threw up when we did it quickly.
Rachel Mom to

#9 DATJMom

DATJMom

17500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 19,955 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE(becky5 @ Apr 21 2009, 09:41 PM) View Post
Have you tried taking the mask part off, and just letting him chew on the tube/putting the tube up to his face? That is ok to do too. And yes, the Albuterol makes them nutso. crazy.gif

This is exactly how we did it at that age. I would take him (and his brother if I was home alone) in his room, bring some toys in, and shut the door. I would just let him be and I would hold the tube in front of his face while he was taking the clothes out of the drawers or taking the diapers out one by one rolleyes.gif Whatever he wanted to do to stay still for a bit was fine with me.

As for the albuterol, my Ped said that was common. There is another med out there called Xyopenex that is an inhalent that is supposed to have less effects. We were on that one and I did not have an issue getting him to go to bed after doing treatment. Maybe that is worth a try too.

Rachel

Leah 10/10/04

Derek and Tyler 12/05/06

#10 Jaimie

Jaimie

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

We also do our breathing treatments in front of the TV. Or I would let him play with something he was not normally allowed to have, such as crayons or my car keys. That seemed to distract him enough. We also did the tube and not the mask at first.

As far as the antibiotics, we have tried blowing gently in their face to get them to open their mouth, or a light pinch to the nose to force them to breathe through their mouth is usually enough to get the mouth opened, and then I just used my hands and keep his mouth pried open why I give the meds slowly. We also squirt the meds into their cheek instead of down the throat, that helps with the gagging and throwing up.

Jaimie Posted Image
Mommy to:
Posted Image Adam Jeremiah 11-13-98

Posted Image Noah and Abigail
Born 9-15-01

#11 4jsinPA

4jsinPA

2500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:
    Children

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

The Xoponex has a much better effect on my kids than the albuterol. The Xoponex doesn't make their heart race as much either.

For the breathing treatments we just put a video on. He never fought it. I am not sure why. Now he does inhalers every night so he is used to it. Some nights we sing songs to him and read books. I think its the noise that scares a lot of kids too. I wish they could make them quieter so it would be easier for all!!

As for the antibiotic...have you asked if you can hide it in anything? My oldest gave us the worst problems with taking it (even though amoxicillin tastes great!). They told us to hide it in chocolate syrup but I didn't try that. They say if you put towards the back of the mouth and tilt it towards the cheeks, it has to go right down. That has worked a couple times. I usually had a sippy cup right there for them to chug afterwards. Its soo frustrating I know! Hope it gets easier!
Jen
Moderator Health Issues/Special Needs & 5-11 Forum
Josie 1-06-00 (36 weeks)
Jack 1-02-03 (36 weeks)
Mitchell & McKenna 4-25-05 (28 weeks)
Babies B&C always in my heart (1-04-05)

#12 MomofMBA

MomofMBA

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

I have found with my kids that not turning it into a battle is the best way to get it done. A favorite TV show or movie I have found is the best way to get through a breathing treatment. I have been doing breathing treatments for years with my kids and it does get old for them when you have to do it all day long. Even if you have to put the same Baby Einstein movie on for every treatment until he is better it will be worth it not to fight him on it.

As for medicine. From very early on I learned that if my kids were in control they actually liked taking the meds. If you put the medicine in something he can "do himself" you might find he is more willing. I find the medicine spoons work best for this.

I hope he feels better soon.
- 7 years
- 3 years

#13 Lesley Anne

Lesley Anne

10000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

We had to do breathing treatments when Sophie was pretty little and I would just hold the mask near her face while she was sleeping-she would NOT wear the mask. As she got older I would tell her she had to wear it for 5 songs (that I knew she knew) and we would sing them together nice and slow-this distracted her enough for it to work.

As for the antibiotics-two of my kids actually like it-the one that doesnt and is currently taking it is Reese and it isnt the taste that bothers her because she wont even take grape flavored tylenol...anyway-currently I have been basically sitting on her and holding her arms down between my knees and squeezing her cheeks and putting the dropper clear back in her throat-if she is not swallowing it I plug her nose and she swallows to take a breath-it totally sucks! I hate every second of it!
We tried everything else from hiding it in icecream, juice, applesauce-and she was on to it immediately.

#14 omcc-mom

omcc-mom

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

All of my kids have needed nebs from an early age also... singing has usually worked best for them as infants, and then a video or show when they get older. My older DD would hold her own mask and sit quietly taking it by about 2 1/2 or 3. Up til then, it is a battle. My youngest DD needs them often now, and I basically do the "lockdown" method that someone mentioned. I hold her on my lap facing out, cross my legs with one of her legs between mine, then hold the mask on her face with one hand and hold her arms down with my other arm. She learned a great trick that none of the other ones had and that is to pull out the tube from the bottom of the canister that holds the medicine... disables the whole production! Usually singing to her works for a while to calm her, but never for the whole time and sometimes not at all

I have to say that I do all of this to keep the mask on and make sure all of the medicine goes in. Screaming does help accomplish this! It's great when you find a method that distracts them and they'll sit quietly, but if nothing works you really do have to just hold them down and get it done, as awful as it is for all involved!

I hope your little one is feeling better soon!
Eileen

Owen 3/02
Maeve 3/04
Colin and Claire 11/07

#15 sullivanre

sullivanre

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,844 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Thanks ladies I tried some of your tips. Now the other one is sick too.
Rachel Mom to

#16 lovelylily

lovelylily

1000-Post Club

• 2,402 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Sorry your boys are sick Rachel sad.gif I don't know if this would work for you, but DD is very particular with everything going into her mouth. So for the antibiotics I finally figured out that she would take them well if I just put them on a spoon and feed it to her like her purees. I think she just didn't like the forcefulness of the dropper with such a yucky medicine. No advice for the breathing treatments, but I hope your little ones are feeling better soon!
hug99.gif hug99.gif hug99.gif

Amanda
Ethan & Abigail born at 31.5 wks

1379314_228556017309698_1507571436_s.jpg
I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

#17 Guest_becky5

Guest_becky5
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(sullivanre @ Apr 23 2009, 12:22 PM) View Post
Thanks ladies I tried some of your tips. Now the other one is sick too.

Oh no. sad.gif hug99.gif

#18 sullivanre

sullivanre

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,844 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions ladies. It was very helpful. We used the TV technique and just let them bite the breathing treatment machine while they took the treatment. After a few fights they started to like the taste of the antibiotics, and I would let them suck it out of the tube; Eli even started crying and begging for more. laugh.gif

They are finally getting better, but they are still really stuffy. But we don't have to have one person up with them all hours of the night.
Rachel Mom to

#19 Guest_becky5

Guest_becky5
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

Glad to hear they are feeling better Rachel!

#20 mama23boys

mama23boys

5000-Post Club

• 7,409 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

Glad they are feeling better and that you guys are getting more sleep! banana.gif

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users