5 replies to this topic

#1 Babigirl

Babigirl

Twinstuff Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

I am a 17 teen year old twin...doing a senior project on identical and fraternal twins. I would like to know if when you were born what did they doctors determine you as identical or fraternal and of those who has had a blood test to see if they are identical or fraternal as the doctor said. thank you

#2 Kendra

Kendra

25000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 26,223 posts
  • Interests:
    reading, royalty, multiples

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Our parents didn't know they were expecting twins so it was a surprise. The doctor (a general family doctor, not an ob/gyn) said we were fraternal when we were born because we had our own sacs and placentas. That was in 1974 and that still happens today. We took a DNA test (cheek swab) in 1998 and it came back that we are identical. We took another in 2006 and we are still identical.

Kendra
identical twin to Connie

The Good Enough Crafter (my blog)

#3 stinkyhobo10

stinkyhobo10

100-Post Club

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:
    I love volleyball, reading, Broadway, Idina Menzel, Alice Ripley, hanging out with my friends.

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

The doctors thought I was a boy and My sister was a girl based on heart beats. So apparently I was turned or something so they couldn't tell. Anyways once we were born they said if we looked alike we were identical and if we didn't then we were fraternal. They were not sure because the placentas were fused together. So we don't know for sure but we hink we are identical.
Sometimes it's tough having a twin. The love is so intense but so is the hate. (Nicholas Brendon)

melissa identical sister to melanie

#4 Twinrific

Twinrific

7500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

The doctors told my parents we were identical before we were born but tests als confirmed it after the birth.

I still don't think we look alike though blum.gif

Edited by Twinrific, 11 May 2009 - 02:55 PM.

2g.gif I'm Brenda, Identical twin sister to Gerda
Co-Moderator of the Fertility & Infertility and 19+ Forums

MOGVktB.jpgMOGVp2.png

#5 Joyce

Joyce

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,170 posts
  • Interests:
    Reading, Science fiction, Religion, Genetics, Twins, Stargate!!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(stinkyhobo10 @ May 11 2009, 02:02 AM) View Post
Anyways once we were born they said if we looked alike we were identical and if we didn't then we were fraternal. So we don't know for sure but we think we are identical.

Ditto to this.
We don't know for sure if we are identical so there's still a small chance we are fraternal.
I'd like to do a DNA test at some point in the future but since it's so expensive in here I will wait until I am financially
a bit more stable.
<- My nephew Jonathan and niece Gilana in the avatar picture

~When the door of life is closed,
The window of memories opens...~

I am Joyce, one of 26 year old (probably identical) Posted Image twins

Proud aunt to Jonathan (22 July 2009) and Gilana (15 July 2010)

#6 Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins

2500-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 2,696 posts
  • Interests:
    music, computers, friends, cooking, singing, making websites, reading, writing, Wildlife warriors, scrapbooking, songwriting, photography, making home videos.. and lots more

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

We were born 16 weeks premature and the doctors never told our parents whether way. They told our parents that we had TTTS, but didnt tell them that TTTS only happens to identicals sharing a placenta.. it is only until last year after doing research on here that we found out that TTTS only happens to Identicals, so that means my twin sis and I are identical. Though we have always thought we are identical before finding out that we are. I still cant tell whos who in some of our baby photos smile.gif
I'm Tamara - Identical Twin Sister to Alisha from Brisbane, Australia
Stage 2 - TTTS Survivors and Born 16 Weeks Premature
Tamara & Alisha (22 Years Old) 22 May 1991
Email me: tamara@maraslastingmemories.com

Mara's Lasting Memories: Digital Media Business:

"Dont Let them fade away with time, affordable prices for all your digital needs."
My Website|| My Business Facebook Page||

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users