Vitamin D?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kathy1109

Kathy1109

500-Post Club

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

Just a general question here. Is anyone taking Vitamin D to help build the immune system? If so, how much are you taking? My kiddos have been sick CONSTANTLY since starting preschool. At first, my DH and I weren't catching it, but now we are picking up their colds too! Anyone else have this problem? This is their first time in school, and they were not in daycare. I guess they are building their immune systems...but still....the sickness is making me crazy!!!!!
Posted Image

#2 Guest_becky5

Guest_becky5
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

Yes, I just started the kids and I on D3 after our bout with the flu. There is so much conflicting info out there on how much is necessary. The 'old' guidelines suggest 400iu, which is what most kid vitamins contain. But, most things I have read suggest a higher dose is necessary to be effective. Here are a couple of sites I have found interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

You also might consider a probiotic. It comes in capsule, tablet, and powdered form.

#3 tinalb

tinalb

12500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:47 AM

I, myself, have been taking 1000 i/u of D3, plus 150 mg Vitamin C, and a probiotic. I have just had the kids on a multi-vitamin plus an extra bit of Vitamin C because I found really conflicting info out there about how much Vitamin D you can safely give kids.

Tina

Posted Image

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Chief Seattle

#4 GeminiX4

GeminiX4

50-Post Club

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

I have been taking Vitamin D for two months, I think the 400 pill. While I don't think taking vitamins is going to prevent anything, it's extra insurance for me.

Having said that......so far, I'm the only one who did not get the swine flu in my house. Makes ya think.....

#5 seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 9,104 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

Recent studies

Recently, Cannell and colleagues have suggested that vitamin D deficiency is a major risk factor for influenza and that vitamin D may be effective in reducing influenza incidence and severity.[1][2]
In both publications, the authors concluded that physiological doses of vitamin D (5,000 IU/day for adults and 1,000 IU/day for every 25 pounds of body weight in children) might reduce the incidence of influenza, and proposed that pharmacological doses (2,000 IU/kg/day for 3–4 days) may have a treatment effect in influenza. The authors present epidemiological evidence suggesting that the seasonality of vitamin D deficiency may explain the seasonality of influenza epidemics and that the epidemiology of vitamin D deficiency may help explain the confusing epidemiology of influenza. However, the seasonality of influenza may also be explicable by other factors. For example, it has been shown that low absolute humidity favours the survival of the influenza virus.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia....D_and_influenza

I take D3 5,000 I.U and the kids take Animal Parade and theirs is 500 I.U.
Nicole

S and N- 7.24.06
K- 4.26.11

#6 DinaJ

DinaJ

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

Yep, the adults in our house take 2000IU and the kids take 1000IU daily.
Mikayla (18)
Jack (15)
Adam (10)
Austin (10)

#7 busymomof3

busymomof3

500-Post Club

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:32 AM

Everyone in our house takes it. All of my kids are getting 800iu a day as per the nutritionist suggestions and the rest they get from their diet. Our sons nutritionist told me that there is no harm in giving to much because they will just pee the excess that their body doesn't need out? My boys left NICU on 800 so I figure it should be fine.
37wks 6lbs 15oz Posted ImagePosted Image
31wks, 3lbs 11oz spent 67 days in NICU, 2lbs 8oz spent 74 days is NICU Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 here we go!

here we go!

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

It is sooo confusing because there is lots of different information out there! Here's yet another site to consider... How Much Vitamin D ?... It is also suggested that you get anyone taking vit D3 levels checked via blood test regularly to be sure you've the appropriate levels and not too much.... but this is something my family cannot get done right now so we are being a little conservative and hoping we'll just pee out what we don't need like the pp mentioned!!

Oh, forgot to mention.... I'm taking 4,000 IU's per day, DH is on 6,000 and my little girlies are on 500 (they get a lot from milk). That's based on 35 IU's per pound of body weight.

Edited by here we go!, 09 November 2009 - 01:32 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Guest_becky5

Guest_becky5
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

Don't you wish it was just as easy to get reliable dosing info for vitamins as it is for Rx drugs??!! :gah:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users