Jump to content


Photo

WWYD?


6 replies to this topic

#1 MLH

MLH

    5000-Post Club

  • Members
  • 6,718 posts
  • Gender:
    Female
  • Location:
    Michigan

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:33 PM


My twins got their H1N1 shots on Oct. 29th and came down with what we were told was most likely H1N1 on Oct. 31st. I had one that had a really high fever (105.3) and the other that hung out around 101. My older daughter also got it and was like my son and didn't really get too much above 101. We are being asked to get the twins their 2nd H1N1 shot and for my oldest to get her 1st shot next week. I really don't want to do it b/c I feel like we've already gotten through it and they probably have immunity from being sick. But, there is not way to know for sure if they had it b/c they don't test for it around here. Abby had a hard time with her arm hurting for a month after the shot. She complained multiple times a day. So, would you get the 2nd shot (and 1st shot for the other child) if you were in my shoes? For those of you that had kids with H1N1, are you doing the vaccine or 2nd shot?
  • 0
--Melissa

Posted Image 2/21/03 Isabel 8# 8 oz. (8 yrs. old!)
~"Angel"~ Lost 11/23/04
Posted Image 9/20/05 Gabriel 6# 4 oz & Abigail 7# 0 oz (6 yrs. old!)

Induced at 38 wks, 1 day

#2 3xMomma

3xMomma

    1000-Post Club

  • Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • Gender:
    Female
  • Location:
    SC
  • Interests:
    reading,beach

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

Personally I would probably skip the shot period. If vaccinating you with the shot gave you the very same darn thing you were trying to avoid it is senseless to be vaccinated against it, IMO. I personally wwould and am skipping it. Scary but the right desision for my family
  • 0

#3 busymomof3

busymomof3

    500-Post Club

  • Members
  • 807 posts
  • Gender:
    Female

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

If you were told they already had it and you are not a fan of the vaccine then I wouldn't bother getting the second shot or the first shot for your other child. If they already had it then thats better coverage then the vaccine could ever give them. I personally wouldn't bother but go with your gut.
  • 0
37wks 6lbs 15oz Posted ImagePosted Image
31wks, 3lbs 11oz spent 67 days in NICU, 2lbs 8oz spent 74 days is NICU Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 summerfun

summerfun

    32500-Post Club

  • Moderators
  • 34,209 posts
  • Gender:
    Female
  • Location:
    Frederick, MD

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

If you don't know for sure that it was H1N1 that she had, I would get the 2nd shot.
  • 0
Amy Posted Image Moderator of Expecting TwinsPosted Image & NICU Twins & Beyond

Married to Patrick (11-29-97)
Caroline-13
Emilie-2-4-06(@ 25w3d)
Trevor-2-14-06 (@ 26w6d)
Yes, my twins were born 10 days apart!!!



#5 Minette

Minette

    7500-Post Club

  • Members
  • 8,950 posts
  • Gender:
    Female
  • Location:
    Boulder, Colorado

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

I would probably get the 2nd shot too. I am very pro-vaccine in general, so that informs my decision. But even though she most likely had H1N1, you don't know for sure, so I would get the 2nd shot.

Both of mine are getting their 2nd shots on Friday even though Sarah quite possibly already had H1N1 (before they got the 1st shots). I will also get vaxed if it ever becomes available for healthy adults, even though the virus has apparently already peaked in Colorado and I'm not really that worried about it anymore. I figure if there is another, more virulent outbreak, being vaxed for this strain will probably provide some protection (just like being exposed to the 1950s flu apparently is giving some protection to elderly people now).
  • 0
Alden (39)

Posted Image Amy Elizabeth and Sarah Ellen, born 11/05 at 37w. Amy 5 lbs 10 oz, Sarah 6 lbs 0 oz.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous

    500-Post Club

  • Members
  • 663 posts
  • Gender:
    Male

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

My twins got their H1N1 shots on Oct. 29th and came down with what we were told was most likely H1N1 on Oct. 31st. I had one that had a really high fever (105.3) and the other that hung out around 101. My older daughter also got it and was like my son and didn't really get too much above 101. We are being asked to get the twins their 2nd H1N1 shot and for my oldest to get her 1st shot next week. I really don't want to do it b/c I feel like we've already gotten through it and they probably have immunity from being sick. But, there is not way to know for sure if they had it b/c they don't test for it around here. Abby had a hard time with her arm hurting for a month after the shot. She complained multiple times a day. So, would you get the 2nd shot (and 1st shot for the other child) if you were in my shoes? For those of you that had kids with H1N1, are you doing the vaccine or 2nd shot?




My boys almost definitely had it (tested positive for type A influenza in AUGUST) and we're getting the shots.

I would get the 2nd shot. Unless you are positive they had H1n1. Your older daughter's fever around 101 is iffy... Dr.s have told us before in the past fever is almost always over 102 with H1N1. When ours probably had it their fever ranged from 102-102.9 WITH tylenol and tamiflu. (infectious disease specialist at Kaiser).


Even if they did have it, more immune reaction can only help. i don't know if you saw the information I posted earlier in the thread that it IS possible (though rare) to get H1N1 again, or after vaccination.
  • 0

#7 ourtwopeas

ourtwopeas

    50-Post Club

  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • Gender:
    Female

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

Can't they take a blood test to test for the presence of anti-bodies?
  • 0
They were born (after some convincing) at 39w3d in June 2009!

Posted Image



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users