Duggar baby born 4 months early

37 replies to this topic

#21 HollyP

HollyP

100-Post Club

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

I had my gallbladder removed in 1998. That said - it plays an integral role in the behavior of my liver and my bile duct, which both have caused elevated liver enzymes and HBP in my first pregnancy (HELLP), and liver enzymes and pancreatitis in this pregnancy, and now suspected cholestastis. So she is at an increased risk going forward regardless.

However, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, regardless of my opinions on her reproductive history. I do think she's getting a wake-up call that maybe she will have to consider these complications going forward.

The media stating the baby will be fine fascinates me, since we all know at 24 weeks, the ability for this baby to survive, let alone, and then live with major medical complications is not "fine." I suppose they are just staying positive and not putting a negative spin on it, which I'd want for my privacy sake too.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 mama23boys

mama23boys

5000-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

I am amazed that people can ask a question like that at a time like this! I hope they both are able to go home soon! It's so very sad!

I don't think anyone would ask this type of question to your average family dealing with a premature infant...but when you have your own TV show, just had your 19th child, and frequently state things like "God will provide for us, we will have as many children as God provides, etc.", you are setting yourself up for questions like this. It is really easy to say statements like this when you have 18 healthy children. Maybe not quite as easy when you are dealing with the rollercoaster of emotions that comes along with having a preemie (not to mention a micropreemie) who quite possibly could have long-term health and developmental complications.

It's horribly sad and I feel terrible for the family and especially for baby Josie. But really, when you are as up front with your lifestyle and your birth control (or lack of) as the Duggars are, you are going to be faced with some difficult questions from the media. They've certainly happily celebrated the birth of many of their children with the media, sharing the delivery room, announcing pregnancies, etc. It is just part of being "famous", I think. You take the good with the bad.
Jori, mom to 3 beautiful boys

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy." ~Author Unknown

#23 Kendra

Kendra

25000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 26,176 posts
  • Interests:
    reading, royalty, multiples

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

I agree with everyone on the 24 week issue. They have a long road to anywhere where they can say "shes fine".

Now, about the name. They now have a Josie, Josiah (1996) and a Joseph (1995).

Kendra
identical twin to Connie

The Good Enough Crafter (my blog)

#24 dlong83

dlong83

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

Wow, 24 weeks is so early. I do hope she does well.
Debbie wife to Matt
Mom to beautiful momo twins, Hailey and Hannah born 2-5-08 at 29w2d

Posted Image

#25 TwinLove

TwinLove

35000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 37,628 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Many thoughts and prayers with their family. :hug:

Liz Posted Image

Proud Mama to Anthony & Angelina who entered the world on June 6, 2006 at 39 weeks... and ... Alexander who entered the world on
October 6, 2011 at 40 weeks!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins

2500-Post Club

• 2,696 posts
  • Interests:
    music, computers, friends, cooking, singing, making websites, reading, writing, Wildlife warriors, scrapbooking, songwriting, photography, making home videos.. and lots more

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

I agree with everyone on the 24 week issue. They have a long road to anywhere where they can say "shes fine".

Now, about the name. They now have a Josie, Josiah (1996) and a Joseph (1995).

and also a Johannah
four kids with the Jo sound.
I'm Tamara - Identical Twin Sister to Alisha from Brisbane, Australia
Stage 2 - TTTS Survivors and Born 16 Weeks Premature
Tamara & Alisha (22 Years Old) 22 May 1991
Email me: tamara@maraslastingmemories.com

Mara's Lasting Memories: Digital Media Business:

"Dont Let them fade away with time, affordable prices for all your digital needs."
My Website|| My Business Facebook Page||

#27 GemelliBoys

GemelliBoys

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:
    Being outdoors, reading, being on internet (Twinstuff), listening to interesting people, learning new things and NOT WORRYING ABOUT EVERYTHING!!

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

I feel terrible for the baby. I do like the Duggar family. I think they seem very nice. BUT... they are really asking for trouble when having THAT MANY KIDS! They've gotten carried away and now it's catching up w/ them. I think this is the beginning of the "end". Her body seems to be F I N A L L Y (God bless it!) saying... "HELP HELP I need a freaking BREAK Woman!!!"

Best of luck! The odds were/are definitely WITH them with all of those healthy kids. That is sort of a miracle right there!
Meredith
Mommy to Gabriele and Nicolas 9/26/2007

#28 MichelleL

MichelleL

27500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 27,885 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

The media stating the baby will be fine fascinates me, since we all know at 24 weeks, the ability for this baby to survive, let alone, and then live with major medical complications is not "fine." I suppose they are just staying positive and not putting a negative spin on it, which I'd want for my privacy sake too.

That's just what I was thinking too.

Regardless of what I think about how many they have, I do hope little Josie is okay. :(

MichellePosted Image
Mom to Lauren and Emma, 9.1.06

#29 Susanna+5

Susanna+5

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

One article I saw said she developed pre-e after having gall bladder surgery. Doesn't that mean she's at higher risk to develop this condition in subsequent pregnancies? I always thought that people with pre-e tended to have similar issues in all their pregnancies. That's gotta be rough...recovering from gall-bladder surgery, c/s and pre-e all at the same time. Ugh. hope she and the baby recover quickly.
Susanna
Posted Image6.5 year old dd who loves to read
Posted Image4.5 year old precocious b/g twins
Posted Image2 year old giggle baby girl
Posted Image big newborn boy! 9lbs 15oz!!

Posted Image

#30 Susanna+5

Susanna+5

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

It may not be significant, but most articles I read said she was at 25 weeks, not 24 weeks. I also would suspect that they probably had time to give the baby steroid shots since they knew Michelle was having problems already last weekend. So that's a boost in her favor. The articles which stated the baby was in stable condition also cited stats saying that the survival rate for babies born at 25 weeks is now 85%. I was surprised by that stat, but we have come a long way in our NICU care in this country.

It's quite possible though that the baby is doing so well already that the doctors are very positive about her. I had a friend deliver a 25 weeker 3 years ago, who was around the same size. Their baby miraculously never needed the vent, and only needed cpap the first day or so. She never had steroid shots, and this baby's lungs were nothing short of miraculous. She was a feeder and grower at 25 weeks with nothing else complicating her 9 week NICU stay. Hopefully Josie will have the same miraculous recovery.

I think the questions that were asked of Michelle were asked last weekend prior to the emergency c/s. It's quite possible that her opinion will be altered after this event. From what I've seen Michelle seems to respect the opinion of her ob/gyn. I'm sure she will value her opinion if her doctor indicates that she's at a higher risk going forward. Michelle has suffered at least a couple miscarriages early in their marriage, so I don't think she's ignorant of the emotional and physical risks every pregnancy entails.

I'm glad to see people here on TS are overwhelmingly 'nice' in their remarks to the Duggars. The comments I've seen on other sites have just been totally deplorable. You don't kick someone when they are down. It's almost like some people are relishing the fact that something went wrong so that they could say 'I told you so.'
Susanna

Posted Image

#31 Debb-i

Debb-i

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 2,049 posts
  • Interests:
    My children, fitness, interior design, travel

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

I'm glad to see people here on TS are overwhelmingly 'nice' in their remarks to the Duggars. The comments I've seen on other sites have just been totally deplorable. You don't kick someone when they are down. It's almost like some people are relishing the fact that something went wrong so that they could say 'I told you so.'

While it's certainly not my choice to have 19 children and I can't understand it, as long as THEY can care and love for them effectively....live and let live. People who need to kick another person down are usually people who have low self esteem. They get a weird thrill out of seeing others hurt. Sad! I do hope the best for their Josie. Being a mom of premmies myself, I wish all the love and support to ANY other parents in the same boat.
Debbi married to Fred on June 21, 1996

Luke & Ben are 6yrs old & will be starting 1st grade this fall.
Fraternal boys born on December 22, 2003 @ 34 weeks

..The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

#32 Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson

27500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 29,674 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Her due date was March 18 per there website.
Chrissy
Married to Devon
proud mom to identical twins
1-15-03 Allison and Zoe
Forever will miss Jimmy 2-26-02

Posted Image

#33 Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins

2500-Post Club

• 2,696 posts
  • Interests:
    music, computers, friends, cooking, singing, making websites, reading, writing, Wildlife warriors, scrapbooking, songwriting, photography, making home videos.. and lots more

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:15 AM

any more news on how michelle and the baby is going?

"Dont Let them fade away with time, affordable prices for all your digital needs."

#34 Susanna+5

Susanna+5

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

any more news on how michelle and the baby is going?

The only thing I've seen was something on the 14th saying that Michelle is still in the hospital, that the baby is in NICU long term (no kidding!) and that fans are being overwhelmingly supportive of them right now. I dropped in on their website, and it has not yet been updated. Hopefully no news is good news...it'd be hard for them to put out an overwhelmingly positive report on Josie right now even if she is doing well...just because with a baby that early you just never know from day to day.
Susanna

Posted Image

#35 momof5

momof5

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 6,472 posts
  • Interests:
    reading, sports

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:10 AM

We have a Level 3 NICU and I have never heard or seen a 25 week "feeder grower". Most 25 weekers have brain bleeds, gut problems, eye problems, apnea, bradycardia, etc etc etc. She will probably be on a vent or CPAP or at least cannulas for a long time and she will definitely have to be gavage fed. I wish them all the best but I hope they are being realistic.
~Tara~
Mom to one angel in Heaven and five miracles on Earth
Angel Boy lost at 16 weeks gestation January 1994
John Jr 4-16-95 our Easter baby and only boy
Erin 7-10-98 our first girl and our 10 lb baby
Allison 10-15-01 Twin A and our "stuck twin" TTTS donor
Ashley 10-15-01 Twin B and our TTTS recipient
Emma Grace 12-30-11 our caboose : )

#36 Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins

2500-Post Club

• 2,696 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:02 AM

The only thing I've seen was something on the 14th saying that Michelle is still in the hospital, that the baby is in NICU long term (no kidding!) and that fans are being overwhelmingly supportive of them right now. I dropped in on their website, and it has not yet been updated. Hopefully no news is good news...it'd be hard for them to put out an overwhelmingly positive report on Josie right now even if she is doing well...just because with a baby that early you just never know from day to day.

Thanks. Yes I know its long term. Alisha and I were born at 25 weeks. (16 weeks premature) and we spent 6 months in hospital. 4 months in NICU and 2 months in Special Care before we got home.. ups and downs all the time.. there was. Hard to explain but it wasnt easy on our parents... and then we had colic for about a year once we got home and i was diagonised with mild CP (Cerebral Palsy) at 2 years old.. So many risks.. so scary. Im just praying that they both will gain the strength and blessings from the Lord to pull through and for Josie to grow up into a beautiful little girl.

#37 JShardy

JShardy

50-Post Club

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Duggar baby update.

http://wonderwall.ms...story?gt1=28135

Edited by JShardy, 18 December 2009 - 10:02 PM.

Posted Image

Also mother to:
DS, 12 (1997)
DD, 8 (2002)
DS, 2 (2007)

#38 Code

Code

2500-Post Club

• 3,105 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

Thats good news thats shes doing well :)

ChloePosted ImageCodie
Facebook

The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.- Bob Moawad

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users