Reading Books

464 replies to this topic

#321 ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy

5000-Post Club

• Root Admin
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

Wow, Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon was REALLY good!

I just downloaded this one based on this thread. Can't wait to start it!
Stephanie- mom to Alexis and Samantha, wife to Paul.

Posted Image

"It's harder to talk about how crazy in love you are with your kids than playing along with the narrative that parenting is terribly hard. If you decide you want kids, don't do it expecting happiness or exhaustion or perfection or anything at all. Do it expecting your life to be ripped wide open and to keep expanding."-The Rollergiraffe

Like Twinstuff on Facebook!

Become a Rewards Member to support your Twinstuff Community!

#322 Mom to Jack and Anna

Mom to Jack and Anna

7500-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

One Day was fabulous. Really great relationship story with interesting "child of the 80s," "idealist young people growing up" tones. I laughed and cried and felt like smacking each of the characters at times, but ultimately loved them both.
Rachael

Jack Harrison and Anna Elise
Born February 3, 2008 at 37 1/2 weeks
7 lbs. 13 oz. and 6 lbs. 2 oz.

#323 mama23boys

mama23boys

5000-Post Club

• 7,414 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

I just downloaded this one based on this thread. Can't wait to start it!

I hope you enjoy it! It was intriguing and a really quick read for me!
Jori, mom to 3 beautiful boys

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy." ~Author Unknown

#324 MamaKim

MamaKim

30000-post club

• Hall of Honor
  • 30,070 posts
  • Interests:
    Does the noise in my head bother you? Into healthy living, Aerosmith (and all music), reading, my kids, my dog, and life!

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

One Day was fabulous. Really great relationship story with interesting "child of the 80s," "idealist young people growing up" tones. I laughed and cried and felt like smacking each of the characters at times, but ultimately loved them both.

Thanks for the review, Rachael. It does sound quite good.
Kim Posted Image --
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. ~ the Demon of Screamin', Mr. Steven Tyler

Married to my college sweetheart, Lou, since 4/27/85 Mom to Sean Patrick, 6/30/90 Posted Image and identical boys, Brian John and Craig Francis, 7/6/94 Posted Image

Our furbaby, Piper Rose, 4/13/03, (a Cairn terrier terror)

And on the eighth day God created ^(A)^EROSMITH . . . Posted Image

#325 *Sully*

*Sully*

500-Post Club

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Wow, Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon was REALLY good!

I finished this one last week. Great book. I read "Don't breathe a word" first and now just want to read all of her novels.

I read Never let you go by Erin Healy
over the weekend and it was a good story and a quick read.

I'm picking up two more Jennifer Mcmahon titles at the library this week.

This is a great thread! I've gotten so many great suggestions from it.

~ Kerry ~
Mommy to Grayson & Clara
Oct 27, 2007 @ 34w2d

Posted ImagePosted Image

#326 MamaKim

MamaKim

30000-post club

• Hall of Honor
  • 30,070 posts
  • Interests:
    Does the noise in my head bother you? Into healthy living, Aerosmith (and all music), reading, my kids, my dog, and life!

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

Just picked up State of Wonder by Anne Patchett but haven't delved in yet. Looks good though.
Kim Posted Image --
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. ~ the Demon of Screamin', Mr. Steven Tyler

Married to my college sweetheart, Lou, since 4/27/85 Mom to Sean Patrick, 6/30/90 Posted Image and identical boys, Brian John and Craig Francis, 7/6/94 Posted Image

#327 jandcsmom

jandcsmom

500-Post Club

• 728 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

Finished State of Wonder a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'd tried to read Bel Canto when it first came out and couldn't get into it. After I finished State of Wonder, I felt like I could appreciate Ann Patchett's writing style a little more and so went back and read Bel Canto. I really enjoyed it the second time I tried it. Then I read Patron Saint of Liars and also enjoyed that one. Ann Patchett has a definite writing style that was fairly consistent across the three books, so if you like one of them, you would probably like the others. I don't know if it was because I read it first, but I did like State of Wonder best.
Vicki
Mom to Jordan and Conner
Born 8/27/99

#328 Utopia122

Utopia122

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 7,656 posts
  • Interests:
    8th grade math teacher who loves to run and read, but not at the same time.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:51 AM

The Particular Saddness of a Lemon Cake is what I am reading at the moment.....but I can not wait to get my hands on Charles and Emma: The Darwin's Leap of Faith. Haven't read a non-fiction piece in a while and it should be good!

Rachel

Luke 12/18/97

Sarah & Allison 12/31/05

"...it's not just learning that's important. It's learning what to do with what you learn and learning why you learn things that matters."
Norton Juster

#329 MamaKim

MamaKim

30000-post club

• Hall of Honor
  • 30,070 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:20 AM

Finished State of Wonder a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'd tried to read Bel Canto when it first came out and couldn't get into it. After I finished State of Wonder, I felt like I could appreciate Ann Patchett's writing style a little more and so went back and read Bel Canto. I really enjoyed it the second time I tried it. Then I read Patron Saint of Liars and also enjoyed that one. Ann Patchett has a definite writing style that was fairly consistent across the three books, so if you like one of them, you would probably like the others. I don't know if it was because I read it first, but I did like State of Wonder best.

Thanks for the review. I appreciate it! I'll let you know how I like it.
Kim Posted Image --

#330 itsnancycozzi

itsnancycozzi

25000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 26,858 posts
  • Interests:
    my little darlings, reading, cats, long walks on the beach and sitting by the fire looking at the moon...

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

I'm reading The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory. Pretty good so far, it is the second book of her Cousin's War Series (novels that take place during the War of the Roses...the first one was The White Queen featuring Elizabeth Woodville-Henry the 8th's maternal grandmother). This one features Margaret Beaufort (Henry the 8th's paternal grandmother).

Nancy

Co-moderator of the Second Year and the Weight Loss, Health and Fitness forums

Posted Image

#331 double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

I just read one of the most amazing YA contemp books called The Sky is Everywhere. Beautifully written story about a girl dealing w/the death of her sister. I laughed, I cried, I swooned, and I laughed and cried some more. SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD! If you like YA, this one is a real winner.

Now starting on Looking for Alaska by John Green. It's a Printz Award book and another one of those books that I've only heard amazing things about.

Oh, and I also recommend Anna and the French Kiss (not quite what it sounds). Another one of the most amazing YA contemp books I've read. If you love Paris as a setting, you'll really enjoy this one.

Edited by double-or-nothing, 16 September 2011 - 07:08 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Melanie

HolyBloggin Batman! A blog about writing YA for the YAt Heart

#332 Leighann

Leighann

12500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

I love Ann Patchett's writing. One of my favorites is Truth and Beauty,about her friendship with another author Lucy Grealy.

Right now I'm just starting Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. Seems very interesting so far.

Oh and I just started reading my little ladies Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Roald Dahl)! Love his story telling!!!
-Leighann 
Posted Image

#333 Utopia122

Utopia122

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 7,656 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

I love Ann Patchett's writing. One of my favorites is Truth and Beauty,about her friendship with another author Lucy Grealy.

Right now I'm just starting Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. Seems very interesting so far.

Oh and I just started reading my little ladies Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Roald Dahl)! Love his story telling!!!

I tried to find Girl in Translation at the local library but they didn't have it. Update when you are finishe

Rachel

Luke 12/18/97

Sarah & Allison 12/31/05

"...it's not just learning that's important. It's learning what to do with what you learn and learning why you learn things that matters."
Norton Juster

#334 Utopia122

Utopia122

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 7,656 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

I just read one of the most amazing YA contemp books called The Sky is Everywhere. Beautifully written story about a girl dealing w/the death of her sister. I laughed, I cried, I swooned, and I laughed and cried some more. SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD! If you like YA, this one is a real winner.

Now starting on Looking for Alaska by John Green. It's a Printz Award book and another one of those books that I've only heard amazing things about.

Oh, and I also recommend Anna and the French Kiss (not quite what it sounds). Another one of the most amazing YA contemp books I've read. If you love Paris as a setting, you'll really enjoy this one.

I finished Looking for Alaska ( I'm pretty sure I called it Finding Alaska which has been stuck in my head for some reason) about two weeks or so ago. Not too bad, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I could definitely see high school students liking it though.

Rachel

Luke 12/18/97

Sarah & Allison 12/31/05

Norton Juster

#335 EMMom

EMMom

100-Post Club

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

I broke down and started the Game of Thrones series and I love it! I don't think I will be getting anything else done for awhile.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#336 ckreh

ckreh

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,450 posts
  • Interests:
    TS, crochet, reading (if I find time), and baking.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

ooooh, Utopia, who else are you reading? and who wrote Fever of 1973? That sounds familiar. Is that LHA? Have you read any John Green. He's AMAZING. I don't know if it won any awards but I read Janice Hardy's books The Shifter and the sequel, Blue Fire. The thrid book in the trilogy comes out in Oct I believe. I LOVE Courtney Summer's books. Some Girls Are is INCREDIBLE. Also, if you have yet read Maggie Stiefvater's books (Shiver, Linger, Forever), you should check those out. For fantasy-Graceling is FANTASTIC!! If you need any other suggestions, let me know. I mostly read YA, but I read some MG here and there.

Just read, Siren by Tricia Rayburn, Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz and now I'm reading Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.

I have to admit I enjoy YA books from time to time. After reading Water for Elephants I was lost as to what to read, so when I saw your post about Vampire Academy it reminded me about other people telling me they were a good read. I downloaded it to my Kindle on 9/7/11 and about two hours ago I finished the 2nd book in the series so I had to get the 3rd book because now I am hooked. The funny thing is I thought I would be reading all six books over several months and at this rate I may have them done in about two months. Thanks for mentioning it here and reminding me about the series.

Kristin (43)
DH (42)

gb.gif - Max & Lily were born on our 9th wedding anniversary!

nc3fdty54.png

"Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today?" - Constantine Jefferson from "The Help"

#337 moski

moski

22500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 23,687 posts
  • Interests:
    My Kids, The Beach, Red Sox, Patriots, Shopping, Cooking, and Fun

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Just finished Night Road by Kristin Hannah. Absolutely loved it.

I am now reading Room by Emma Donoghue. Has anyone read this?

Maureen
Moderator of 5-11 and Book Club Forums
Mom to Three Funny Kids
Nolan 2-15-05
Meghan 2-15-05
Liam 1-25-07

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

#338 double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

I have to admit I enjoy YA books from time to time. After reading Water for Elephants I was lost as to what to read, so when I saw your post about Vampire Academy it reminded me about other people telling me they were a good read. I downloaded it to my Kindle on 9/7/11 and about two hours ago I finished the 2nd book in the series so I had to get the 3rd book because now I am hooked. The funny thing is I thought I would be reading all six books over several months and at this rate I may have them done in about two months. Thanks for mentioning it here and reminding me about the series.

Yay! I really LOVED Rose's voice. She is a bad-a$$, a$$ kicking MC and I love that. She's tough, snarky, and beautiful, yet she's vulnerable as well. I love that balance. I've heard 2 is good, but that 3 is REALLY good. I want to read them so badly, but I have to finish the other books I took out from the library, then I'll get that one. I'm also insanely stocked up on books I purchased at a library sale and from hitting Borders a few times before they closed. I think I bought like 30 books! So much greatness, so little time. sigh.

Also, does anyone here belong to Goodreads? It's such a great way to track the books you've read, are reading and want to read and to connect w/other lovers of literature. I use it a lot to get recs and stay up to date with what's coming out.

Edited by double-or-nothing, 17 September 2011 - 09:22 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Melanie

#339 TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

Rachelle meads adult books are good too. I also enjoy the house of night series by pc and Kristen cast
TabbiSue Single MOM to Jazzlyn Ranee 4lbs 9oz....Jesslyn Dunae 2lbs. 13oz....Born Oct. 25th 2005 @ 34 weeks and 1 day due to IUGR and 2 vessel cord.
1 Year! Jazz 21lbs 4oz Jess 17lbs 4oz
2 Years Jazz 29lbs 35 1/2 in Jess 24lbs 33 1/2 in
4 years jazz 36lbs Jessy 30lbs
Jessy's Open Heart Suregery to correct ASD 1/7/10(2/15/10 went back to school)

RIP "Pa" Troy Lee Dooley 1/9/10
Posted ImagePosted Image

#340 double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

Rachelle meads adult books are good too. I also enjoy the house of night series by pc and Kristen cast

I have the House of Night series. Actually won it from a contest on someone's blog. I started to read the first one, but it just wasn't keeping my interest. I'll have to give it another try one day. I've heard they are decent, so I won't fully give up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Melanie

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reading, Books

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users