• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Specky

Specky

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hey guys! We have 2.5 yr old twin boys that we concieved via IVF due to unexplained infertility. We couldn't be more in love!
DH and I would like another, but at this time, not willing to go through IVF at this point.

I had my IUD (mirena) taken out in Feb. And have gotten only 2 periods. Currently it's bern 78days since my last. I have never had irregular periods in the past.

I met with my doc last week and she wants me to start my period via progesterone (assuming my hpt's are still Neg.) And then start me on a clomid challenge again to test all my levels and such. My reserve, estrogen, prolactin etc...levels were fine 3 years ago when we started this, but I'm 38 now and she thinks things may have changed.

So here's my dilemma: I want to take advantage of the clomid, last time I took it I ovulated. But due to the increased risk of twins, dh is really nervous.
I don't want either, the financial, the pregnancy ugh...BUT as difficult as it would be I know we would be ok...I have always wanted to be a mom, and as hard as it is, I am in love with every aspect of it!

I also worry about the strain another set of twins would have on dh and my relationship, we went through a pretty rough patch a year ago, but after much work we are in an amazing place!

When we agreed to try for another we were going to not use any assistance, I am thrilled with the family I have now, and would be ok if we didn't have more...but I also feel that this might be our chance...so do I take advantage of the clomid or hold off because the risk is too high, even if it's really NOT that high?

Sorry for the ramble, thanks for letting me vent!
rebuilt

Me: Rebecca-40
DH: Gene-40
Furry Farm Babies: We are blessed with the animals no one else wants...
Small Farm: Dogs,Cats, Cows, Pigs, Chickens, Turkeys, Pheasants and Geese.

http://www.facebook....me.php?ref=home

ZwzHm4.png

UWSgm4.png

#2 Twinrific

Twinrific

7500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

First good luck for being back on the TTC roller coaster! I hope you have success soon.

As for the clomid, have you considered using a different medication? At my fertility clinic they use Femara a lot more than clomid because it has much less side-effects, it results in less follicles and better quality eggs. With Femara I got 1 or 2 decent sized follicles every time. I really do recommend it. It's not as cheap as clomid but also not that much more expensive and it's been proven to be very efficient. Also sounds like it would be perfect for you because the chances of multiples aren't as high. Just thought I'd mention it.

2g.gif I'm Brenda, Identical twin sister to Gerda
Co-Moderator of the Fertility & Infertility and 19+ Forums

MOGVktB.jpgMOGVp2.png

#3 Specky

Specky

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Brenda, I'm impressed you got through all that, I wastrying to type on my phone while being jumped on! Lol!

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of this medication...I am definitely going to check it out!! This is exciting! Thank you!!
Reb

Me: Rebecca-40
DH: Gene-40
Furry Farm Babies: We are blessed with the animals no one else wants...
Small Farm: Dogs,Cats, Cows, Pigs, Chickens, Turkeys, Pheasants and Geese.

http://www.facebook....me.php?ref=home

ZwzHm4.png

UWSgm4.png

#4 Twinrific

Twinrific

7500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Brenda, I'm impressed you got through all that, I wastrying to type on my phone while being jumped on! Lol!

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of this medication...I am definitely going to check it out!! This is exciting! Thank you!!
Reb

It's fairly new in the infertility community but has received a lot of good results and reactions. My clinic doesn't even want to use clomid anymore. Unfortunately I needed IVF to fall pregnant but I know of a few ladies in my clinic that had success with Femara. In my opinion it's worth a try especially if you can sidestep some of those clomid side effects! It was actually originally used in breast cancer patients when they started to realize it's advantages for conceiving as well. I needed a little higher dose (5mg instead of the 2,5mg) so you'll need to test which works best for you. Just as with clomid each woman differs in what amount is optimal.

Some more info: http://breast-cancer...nfertility.html but you can obviously also google it or ask your RE/FS about it. :)

2g.gif I'm Brenda, Identical twin sister to Gerda
Co-Moderator of the Fertility & Infertility and 19+ Forums

MOGVktB.jpgMOGVp2.png

#5 crazytwinmomma

crazytwinmomma

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Only some docs are willing to use femera because it's not FDA approved for IF. I can speak on the clomid that the risk is only 10% of multiples. I've been on clomid twice (2 cycles first time and 6 cycles this last time) and I'm only cooking one little bean. We were even kinda hoping for a second set of twins but are very excited to give my twins a little sister! Good luck with what you decide.

Shana

breastfeeding by choice, babywearing by necessity, working mama extraordinaire

Zoe Teresa and Xavier Vincent -- born 6/18/09 at 37 weeks

Gianna Sophia joined us on 10/14/11 at 39 weeks

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 cat mommy

cat mommy

500-Post Club

• Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

In order to check your hormone levels, they have to do the test using Clomid. They cannot substitute another drug. This is different than using Clomid to get pregnant, although it does have the "side effect" of people getting pregnant during the testing process.

Can you have them do a follicle count right before you ovulate, so you can decide whether it is worth the risk of twins? So maybe you would feel OK going ahead with 2 follicles but not with 5?

I probably would not risk twins, but there really isn't an easy answer here. :(
NICU grads born 11/11/09 at 34 weeks, 1 day
Twinkie 3 lbs, 5 oz--24 day NICU stay
Twinkette 4 lbs, 15 oz--19 day NICU stay

Proudly eating Similac since 1 week and 3 weeks old!

Posted Image

#7 Bonabee

Bonabee

Valued Twinstuff Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:
    Interested in regaining brain function to add actual interests to this section :o)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I can attest to using Femara vs. Clomid. I hated what Clomid made me become... and Femara did just as well (I assume, since the OB who put me on Clomid wasn't checking a darn thing) and I felt completely normal. I conceived my ID girls this time around on Femara. I also used Femara for 15 months, to conceive my first, which ended in miscarriage, and then spontaneously conceived my now 3 1/2 year old. I'd recommend Femara over Clomid any day! I also usually had 1 or 2 decent follicles while on Femara on only the 2.5mg dosage.

Bonnie
Posted Image 10/2007
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users