Photo

Have you ever taken your twins out of the country solo?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan

5000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 5,982 posts
  • Interests:
    scrapbooking, working out, gardening, cooking/baking

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

I have a dilemma. It's a good dilemma to have, but still a dilemma. We are booked to take a cruise in early March. My DH was just promoted to his former manager's position. So he's now got a ton of responsibility, and needs to replace his former position, all with his manager leaving at the end of the month. But it was also a huge raise and another one coming in a year. :) So like I said, really good dilemma.

So, even though he believes he's got a great candidate that can start within 3 weeks, that only leaves 3 weeks of him being on board before we'd go on vacation, on a ship, unreachable. I understand that he just can't go. Now we're trying to decide whether to totally cancel or if the girls and I just go on our own. We're going to lose over $2,000 if we completely cancel (and the cruiseline won't credit it towards a later cruise), versus losing a little over $500 if he just doesn't go.

But I'm a little uncomfortable traveling out of the country with my girls solo. If we were going to Florida only, I think I'd be fine. It's the Honduras, Belize, and Mexico part making me nervous.

Have you ever done it? Am I being silly for worrying?
Susan
mommy to Lily & Gracie
born 3/26/06 at 31w0d, 3lb4oz & 3lb8oz, 5 and 6 weeks in the NICU
after 15 weeks of bedrest due to IC and PTL, emergency cerclage at 16w5d

Posted Image

#2 jenn-

jenn-

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 9,154 posts
  • Interests:
    Scrapbooking, photography, TS

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

You should go. Nothing says you have to roam far from the port when you get into those countries. Heck, some people don't even get off the boat at all. Hopefully DH will find the new person is very competent and able to do the job needed and he will again be able to go on the cruise with you. If I had to pick a vacation I was confident I could handle kids alone on, it would be a cruise. Between all the babysitting/kids' club services and a whole kitchen staff to wait on you for meals, life should be easy.
jenn-Posted Image
Mommy to
Alexis 5-13-00, William and Nathan 5-13-04, Brandon 4-13-06

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. " ~Native American Proverb~

Come and join us in the Scrapbooking Forum,
we can help beginners in digital scrapbooking, and love to see paper pages too!
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Meximeli

Meximeli

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Well, I don't think you should go on a cruise, but that's because I'm against cruising due to it's environmental impact, but....

I have taken my kids out of the country on my own--or should that be IN to the country on my own? Honderous, Belize and Mexico are all gorgeous amazing places--especially along the coast. Like Jenn said, some people never even leave the ship. But even if you do it's not like really "going" to those places. The ship's got you covered. If you get sick, you don't have to try to find a doctor, the ship has one. If you not sure what to see, the ship has planned an exscursion. If you forgot your swimsuit--the ship has a shop, so you don't have to go out searching for one. If you don't speak the language, the ship crew does. If you don't know where its safe to eat, the ship has restuarants.
So in that respect, I don't think you should be worried, and it's a great chance to start a tradition of a "girls retreat" for you and your daughters.
Melissa In Mexico

Posted ImagePosted Image Gabriela Itavii and Bianca Joy 9-24-04
Posted Image little brother Drex, 02-03-10

#4 TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom

5000-Post Club

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

You should go. Nothing says you have to roam far from the port when you get into those countries. Heck, some people don't even get off the boat at all. Hopefully DH will find the new person is very competent and able to do the job needed and he will again be able to go on the cruise with you. If I had to pick a vacation I was confident I could handle kids alone on, it would be a cruise. Between all the babysitting/kids' club services and a whole kitchen staff to wait on you for meals, life should be easy.

I'd would add to check out the excursions online. They should give you an idea of what you could handle with the girls. Usually if you go on cruise line certified excursions they will hold the boat or make sure you get to the next port.
TabbiSue Single MOM to Jazzlyn Ranee 4lbs 9oz....Jesslyn Dunae 2lbs. 13oz....Born Oct. 25th 2005 @ 34 weeks and 1 day due to IUGR and 2 vessel cord.
1 Year! Jazz 21lbs 4oz Jess 17lbs 4oz
2 Years Jazz 29lbs 35 1/2 in Jess 24lbs 33 1/2 in
4 years jazz 36lbs Jessy 30lbs
Jessy's Open Heart Suregery to correct ASD 1/7/10(2/15/10 went back to school)

RIP "Pa" Troy Lee Dooley 1/9/10
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 idril

idril

2500-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

For me, travelling out of the country with kids is very different if you're staying in the other country versus staying on a cruise ship. I think I'd be comfortable with my two girls on a ship because I'd have all the resources of the ship available if I needed them (tons of English speaking people, medical staff, etc.). The bigger question for me, though, is whether you'll have fun without your husband. I'm not sure I'd have a very relaxing time with my girls for a week all by myself so I might cancel. But maybe not, I don't really know. The safety issue wouldn't be the reason I'd cancel, though.

If you do decide to travel without your husband, check with the cruise line whether you need any documentation from him saying that you're able to take the girls out of the country. You don't want to get stopped on the way into the ship...

And, congrats to your husband on the promotion!
Tricia

Posted Image

#6 Mellizos

Mellizos

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Go, go, go. You girls will have a blast, while your husband can work like a maniac with the new employee without feeling guilty about the late hours.
Even if you never leave the ship, it will still be an adventure and create special memories. Have fun!

#7 isis

isis

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

I would probably try and go. But just in case, is there anyone else u know that could come along for a free cruise? How about an older niece or nephew? Brother or sister?
Ella & Evan born Jan 31,08 by C-section after 19 hours of labour, at 37wks 6days.

#8 Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan

5000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 5,982 posts
  • Interests:
    scrapbooking, working out, gardening, cooking/baking

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. We ended up cancelling. It just so happened that yesterday was the last day to cancel at a lower penalty, the penalty to cancel went up significantly today. Nothing like added pressure to decide!

Anyways, given the Italian cruise boat thing, my DH was just really uncomfortable with the 3 of us going or even taking someone else with us. My one daughter was SO disappointed, although in the end she'd be upset if her daddy didn't go. We're going to go on one sometime this summer instead.

We'll go to an indoor waterpark hotel as a treat sometime in March (when they turn 6).
Susan
mommy to Lily & Gracie
born 3/26/06 at 31w0d, 3lb4oz & 3lb8oz, 5 and 6 weeks in the NICU
after 15 weeks of bedrest due to IC and PTL, emergency cerclage at 16w5d

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users