Talk to me about stand mixers

29 replies to this topic

#1 miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18

5000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 7,167 posts
  • Interests:
    A few of my favorite things: Joss Whedon, Tim Horton's coffee, my iPhone, Walk Off The Earth, Nathan Fillion, birth & breastfeeding, Felicia Day, anything made with sugar as the primary ingredient, The Walking Dead.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

What do you like about yours? What features do you use all the time? What do you wish yours did?
Rachel#3
co-moderator of the second year & breastfeeding forums

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

#2 JicJac

JicJac

25000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 27,413 posts
  • Interests:
    kids, scrapbooking, outdoors

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

I have a kitchenaid mixer. It was a gift. I like it but since I do not do a lot of baking, do not use it too much. I have an add-on shredder which is nice. :) Bowl is big so I can mix up two batches of choc. chip cookies at once with no problems.

Jackie
Identical Twin to Jennifer
Mom to Clayton & Audrey (Summer 2005)
and Evan (Spring 2008)

Audrey's Caringbridge Site
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 itsnancycozzi

itsnancycozzi

25000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 26,674 posts
  • Interests:
    my little darlings, reading, cats, long walks on the beach and sitting by the fire looking at the moon...

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

I also have a Kitchen Aid mixer that is primarily used for baking and making homemade mashed potatoes. I am sure it has features that are awesome that I don't use. I like the fact that it can mix on it's own while I do something else. For what I use it for, I have no wishes that it did anything else.

Nancy

Co-moderator of the Second Year and the Weight Loss, Health and Fitness forums

Posted Image

#4 idril

idril

2500-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Mine is a KitchenAid too, and I love it. I use it for pizza dough, cookies, mashed potatoes, and making whipped cream. It does everything I could want, and I like that I can buy add ons for grinding meat, shredding cheese, etc. The splash guard is helpful so that flour doesn't spill out everywhere when pouring in. Everything I've read says it's worth spending the money on a KitchenAid (the professional series) because it's the only stand mixer you'll ever buy. The lesser priced ones have motors that will blow out in a few years.
Tricia

Posted Image

#5 danibell

danibell

5000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 6,736 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have a kitchenaid too, not a pro just the standard and I love it. I do hate that it's soooo heavy though, so I leave it on my counter even though I don't really have the space to leave it out.

I use it for cakes, cookies, icing, mashed potatoes...etc. I have the attachments for grinding meat, and two other ones I can't think of what they are now, but I rarely use them. Mine gets used about once a week. I got a great deal at costco on it and it was well worth it.

Danielle
Co-Mod of Twins age 2-4

Sean David (11 yrs), Kaelyn Faith (6.5 yrs), Posted Image Liam Carl & Rylee Ann (4 yrs)
Birth: DD ~ 7.2 lbs 20 in ~~ DS ~ 6.4 lbs 19 in
6 months: DD ~ 19.2 lbs 26.5 in ~~ DS ~ 16.12 lbs 27 in
12 months: DD ~ 22 lbs 7.5 oz 30 in ~~ DS ~ 19 lbs 15.5 oz 30 in
18 months: DD ~ 25 lbs 33 in ~~ DS ~ 24.2 lbs 32.5 in
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Katheros

Katheros

2500-Post Club

• 3,673 posts
  • Interests:
    Reading, Sleeping

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

I also have a Kitchen Aid, and have had it since before the twins were born, so at least 7 years. I've never had a problem with it and use it on a weekly basis. I don't have any of the attachments, though.. maybe I should look into them!

~Kate~Married to a US Marine~Referee to Three Sons~

Nick & Alex ~ May 2005    Joshua ~ Nov 2011   Gabriella ~ Feb 2014
2pNwm6.png

#7 Mom to Jack and Anna

Mom to Jack and Anna

7500-Post Club

• 7,921 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

We are on our second Kitchen Aid. After about a decade, it started leaking oil or grease. It still worked, but that was annoying so we got a new one. I love it. It does everything I need it to do, and you can buy attachments to do things you never thought you'd need to do.
Rachael

Jack Harrison and Anna Elise
Born February 3, 2008 at 37 1/2 weeks
7 lbs. 13 oz. and 6 lbs. 2 oz.

#8 miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18

5000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 7,167 posts
  • Interests:
    A few of my favorite things: Joss Whedon, Tim Horton's coffee, my iPhone, Walk Off The Earth, Nathan Fillion, birth & breastfeeding, Felicia Day, anything made with sugar as the primary ingredient, The Walking Dead.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

We are on our second Kitchen Aid. After about a decade, it started leaking oil or grease. It still worked, but that was annoying so we got a new one. I love it. It does everything I need it to do, and you can buy attachments to do things you never thought you'd need to do.

This is probably not a good thing. ;)

Well it sounds like Kitchen Aid is clearly the front runner. Thanks!
Rachel#3
co-moderator of the second year & breastfeeding forums

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

#9 Mom to Jack and Anna

Mom to Jack and Anna

7500-Post Club

• 7,921 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have no attachments. Turns out I don't have a lot of need to make my own pasta or grind my own meat. Some of them are cool though.
Rachael

Jack Harrison and Anna Elise
Born February 3, 2008 at 37 1/2 weeks
7 lbs. 13 oz. and 6 lbs. 2 oz.

#10 cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24

5000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 6,912 posts
  • Interests:
    TV, reading, playing with cute babies, exploring Colorado.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

I have a KitchenAid, too. I like the splash guard for flour and powdered sugar. I had no idea there is a cheese shredder- I really want that, now!

Michelle
Moderator of the Breastfeeding & Pumping Forum

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 MarchI

MarchI

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I have a kitchenaid also and I love it for making bread, baked goods, anything requiring a batter etc. i have the professional one. We bought it from Costco 8 years ago and it still works perfect. Love the whisk for making homemade whipped cream/icings. It is 1 of 3 appliances allowed to stay out on the counter.
Irene
Aaron 12/7/04
Posted Image

#12 Utopia122

Utopia122

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 7,656 posts
  • Interests:
    8th grade math teacher who loves to run and read, but not at the same time.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

I just got my Kitchen Aid for Christmas and I use it when I make my cakes and icing. I also use it for big baking days. But I don't use it everyday. I still use my hand mixer for little jobs. I haven't bought any attachments yet, but if I were I really want the pasta attachments (which I will probably never get), or the ice cream maker attachment.

Rachel

Luke 12/18/97

Sarah & Allison 12/31/05

"...it's not just learning that's important. It's learning what to do with what you learn and learning why you learn things that matters."
Norton Juster

#13 Leighann

Leighann

12500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I heart my kitchen aid! We got it right after we got married, so its almost 12 yrs old and it still works great. On thing we especially love is the bread hook. When dh makes bread you can kneed it in the mixer! I mostly use it for baking cakes, cookies, etc. it's heavy so it has a dedicated spot on my counter, but I use it enough that it deserves that spot.
-Leighann 
Posted Image

#14 moski

moski

22500-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 23,681 posts
  • Interests:
    My Kids, The Beach, Red Sox, Patriots, Shopping, Cooking, and Fun

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have a Kitchen Aid as well and I love it. Very sturdy and I use it a lot.

On a side note, my mom has had the same Hamilton Beach stand mixer since she got married in 1959 and it still works perfectly.

Maureen
Moderator of 5-11 and Book Club Forums
Mom to Three Funny Kids
Nolan 2-15-05
Meghan 2-15-05
Liam 1-25-07

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

#15 idril

idril

2500-Post Club

• 4,028 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Oh! How did I forget? I have the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid and it's awesome. We haven't made pasta in awhile, but it's so much fun to do. And the dough hook is super cool too - I barely knead our pizza dough or breads because the hook does all the work.
Tricia

Posted Image

#16 MamaKim

MamaKim

30000-post club

• Hall of Honor
  • 30,058 posts
  • Interests:
    Does the noise in my head bother you? Into healthy living, Aerosmith (and all music), reading, my kids, my dog, and life!

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Oh! How did I forget? I have the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid and it's awesome. We haven't made pasta in awhile, but it's so much fun to do. And the dough hook is super cool too - I barely knead our pizza dough or breads because the hook does all the work.

We are talking about getting this attachment. DH wants to make gluten free ravioli for me. :wub: I have the KitchenAid Pro and love it! Worth every penny.
Kim Posted Image --
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. ~ the Demon of Screamin', Mr. Steven Tyler

Married to my college sweetheart, Lou, since 4/27/85 Mom to Sean Patrick, 6/30/90 Posted Image and identical boys, Brian John and Craig Francis, 7/6/94 Posted Image

Our furbaby, Piper Rose, 4/13/03, (a Cairn terrier terror)

And on the eighth day God created ^(A)^EROSMITH . . . Posted Image

#17 Utopia122

Utopia122

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 7,656 posts
  • Interests:
    8th grade math teacher who loves to run and read, but not at the same time.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

We are talking about getting this attachment. DH wants to make gluten free ravioli for me. :wub: I have the KitchenAid Pro and love it! Worth every penny.

The kitchen Pro is what I have as well. All this talk about pasta makes me want the attachments even more! Does anyone know if you can buy just one at a time instead of all of them together. All of them is quite the investment at one time.

Rachel

Luke 12/18/97

Sarah & Allison 12/31/05

"...it's not just learning that's important. It's learning what to do with what you learn and learning why you learn things that matters."
Norton Juster

#18 ljcrochet

ljcrochet

10000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 11,718 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have the kitchen aid pro 6 quart mixer. I have had it for 10 years. In my last house I used it at least once a week. I hate my kitchen so it does not get used as much, but it sits on my counter. I'm going to use it after dinner to make banana bread with the girls.

I have the pasta roller attachment. I don't know if that was worth the price, since i probably have only used it a handful of times and the last time i used it, the pasta did not come out okay.
Lisa Joy

-The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do

Join us in our 30 day challenge . It is never too late to start!

#19 MamaKim

MamaKim

30000-post club

• Hall of Honor
  • 30,058 posts
  • Interests:
    Does the noise in my head bother you? Into healthy living, Aerosmith (and all music), reading, my kids, my dog, and life!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

The kitchen Pro is what I have as well. All this talk about pasta makes me want the attachments even more! Does anyone know if you can buy just one at a time instead of all of them together. All of them is quite the investment at one time.

I would think you probably can. What other attachments are there? I have the meat grinder attachment but I've never even opened the box. It came free as part of a rebate when I bought mine.

My next major appliance purchase is going to be a Vitamix. I want one so badly.
Kim Posted Image --
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. ~ the Demon of Screamin', Mr. Steven Tyler

Married to my college sweetheart, Lou, since 4/27/85 Mom to Sean Patrick, 6/30/90 Posted Image and identical boys, Brian John and Craig Francis, 7/6/94 Posted Image

Our furbaby, Piper Rose, 4/13/03, (a Cairn terrier terror)

And on the eighth day God created ^(A)^EROSMITH . . . Posted Image

#20 danibell

danibell

5000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 6,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

I love the meat grinder attachment. When I make beef or pork roast, I grind up the leftovers for sandwich meat. With beef, I grind up pickles or use relish, add mayo and mustard to it. Pork roast, I just mix some mayo in it. The kids LOVE it for sandwiches.

Danielle
Co-Mod of Twins age 2-4

Sean David (11 yrs), Kaelyn Faith (6.5 yrs), Posted Image Liam Carl & Rylee Ann (4 yrs)
Birth: DD ~ 7.2 lbs 20 in ~~ DS ~ 6.4 lbs 19 in
6 months: DD ~ 19.2 lbs 26.5 in ~~ DS ~ 16.12 lbs 27 in
12 months: DD ~ 22 lbs 7.5 oz 30 in ~~ DS ~ 19 lbs 15.5 oz 30 in
18 months: DD ~ 25 lbs 33 in ~~ DS ~ 24.2 lbs 32.5 in
Posted ImagePosted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users