Food suggestions for twin toddlers

44 replies to this topic

#1 melissao

melissao

17500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

A very popular topic here in 1-5 is food/snack suggestions for toddlers. Please feel free to add your suggestions to this sticky to help others add some variety to their childrens' diets. Thank you smile.gif
Melissa (ID Twin), Proud Mommy to
Posted ImageAndrew Robert (4lb,12oz) and Catherine Jane (5lb, 7oz) born via c-section 10/16/04 at 34 weeks 2 days
Posted ImageElizabeth Ann (6lbs, 6oz) born via c-section 4/27/07
Posted ImageMatthew Harrison (8lbs, 13oz) born via c-section 8/20/09

Posted Image

Posted Image1/04
Posted Image3/06

#2 boysontheway

boysontheway

Twinstuff Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:40 PM

I hope to learn more tricks for healthy eating.

One healthy modification I have started is mixing in 1/2 a package of defrosted frozen spinach into regular Mac N Cheese. Mix it in very well. The boys don't even notice it. I don't even taste it.

#3 mel&2

mel&2

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

My DDs hate eggs, so today I tried a "quiche"- I lined a greased bowl with a tortilla, added (defrosted) frozen spinach, and 2 eggs beaten with a little milk, baked for 23 min at 375 degrees. Topped it with cheese and had to microwave another min d/t eggs not fully done. They ate it and didn't hate it at least, though I suspect Hannah caught on that it was eggs after about half the food was eaten, but they loove tortillas and green vegetables, so that helped

#4 Utopia122

Utopia122

7500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 7,656 posts
  • Interests:
    8th grade math teacher who loves to run and read, but not at the same time.

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

Whenever I fix homemade pizza I make a portion of it all veggies for the girls. I will steam squash, zucchini, or whatever I made have on hand, steam it, and then layer it on the crust with sauce and cheese. They eat it up and it is a nice change for us adults, too.

Rachel

Luke 12/18/97

Sarah & Allison 12/31/05

"...it's not just learning that's important. It's learning what to do with what you learn and learning why you learn things that matters."
Norton Juster

#5 ****mws****

****mws****

1000-Post Club

• Banned
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:22 AM

frozen peas,
frozen salad chicken. pre cooked. ( sams club)
cream cheese

mix and serve.. mine loveit..

~MWS~
*I HAD THREE BABIES IN 12 MONTHS !*

Now they are 5,4,&4 Oh how the years go bye!!!

#6 AmynTony

AmynTony

7500-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

mine love pasta so I use Barilla Plus which has more whole grain and much higher amounts of protein...also I add ground beef (90% lean) to the sauce for additional protein...my kids hate eggs and chicken (unless its nuggets) so its a way to get extra protein in them..

oh and they love onion, mushrooms and garlic...

Amy 40 (when the hell did I get THAT old)
Tony 44

gb.gif Ian & Abigail 5/9/06

#7 AmynTony

AmynTony

7500-Post Club

• TS Rewards Member: Gold
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

for those whom have conquered peanut butter I found that mixing it with applesauce thins it out a bit and makes it a more "whipped" consistancy and my kids ate a bit more of it (they're so far not crazy about it though...)

Amy 40 (when the hell did I get THAT old)
Tony 44

gb.gif Ian & Abigail 5/9/06

#8 Spuds

Spuds

500-Post Club

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

My kiddos favs (at 16m):
Snacks: Captain wafer crackers, stix crackers, graham crackers, animal crackers, cheeseit's, fig newtons, mini muffins, fruit cups.

Stacy, 29
DH, Shawn, 35

Born February 3, 2006 @ 36 weeks
Brandon ----------- Taryn
Birth 6lbs 5oz. ----- 5lbs 7oz.
6 M 21lbs 12 oz. ---17lbs 12oz.
12M 28lbs. 3oz. ----22lbs
15M 31lbs-----------24lbs. 5oz.
18M 32lbs-----------26lbs.
24M 37lbs-----------30lbs.

#9 Maytwinsmom

Maytwinsmom

100-Post Club

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

One of my kdis favorite: Culliflower gretin

saute 3-4 tomatoes, in some butter (however much you are comforatble with), add cheddar cheese, pepper and a little salt, serve over steam culliflower. It is good !!!!!
Nina - wife to Chris (4/9/05)
Mom to Anderson and Lilliana
Born on May 9, 2006
36 1/2 wks - No bedrest, No NICU, Andy 6.15 & Lilly 4.12

#10 double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

ok, I just tried this today for the first time and my girls GOBBLED IT UP!!! It may be something you have already heard of or tried but thought I'd share.

I lightly toasted 2 pieces of bread, then put cream cheese on it. Then I mashed up about a 1/4 of a banana and spread it on top like a jelly and cut it into bite size pieces. THEY LOVED IT!!!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Melanie

HolyBloggin Batman! A blog about writing YA for the YAt Heart

#11 2jellybeans

2jellybeans

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

Avacodos. I started them as one of our first solids, they are mushy enough that they handled them pretty young. To this day mine still love them! Also alfredo sauce, you can hide almost anything with it!
Kim
Posted Image

#12 motheringtwins

motheringtwins

100-Post Club

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:15 AM

Here are my 'never fail' meals:

1.Ok, this is a 1 minute cheese on toast.

put 1 or 2 slices of bread in the toaster, as its toasting, slice up a few slices of their favourite cheese, put it on the toast and stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Nothing to clean up, no appliances to plug in. Takes 1 minute and they love it.

2.Another favourite is chicken drumsticks. Brush them in oil, honey, soya sauce, mild mustard, (or leave any of those ingredients out) and stick it in the overn for about 40 minutes.

3.Hash browns is also quite easy.
Grate up anything you have in the fridge (EG potato, zucchini, onion, carrott, cauliflower, whatever you have) mix in 1 beaten egg, a small handful of flower.

Turn it into patties and fry it in oil (dont need to deepfry) until golden brown.

#13 kaysyd

kaysyd

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

My girls are little for their adjusted age so I have to concentrate on adding calories. They don't eat meat (and if so- I am lucky for the day). Here are some tricks that have worked a couple times.

Stovetop dressing meatloaf- 1 bag stovetop stuffing, add to 1 lb raw burger meat, and add an egg. Cook. (Now my girls will eat this- I don't know if it lessens the smell of meat or what).

Quiches with sour cream in them- covers up the smell of the egg. This is the only way I can get Syd to eat eggs. I put them in the little muffin pan and it makes individualized quiches.

If you need to add calories to their meals- I make pudding with half and half and whole milk. I add avocado to things. I put a little butter on their veggies- I have no problems getting veggies or fruit in them.

Sweet potato fries- a variation of the "fry" but they taste great!

I'll have to post more when I have time.

Oh, Nutrigrain bars, cheerios for snacks.
Identical Little Lovebugs
Emergency C-section at 27 weeks:
Kaysandra Lin - 2 lbs.; 10 weeks in NICU, brain surgery May 2008 with great recovery!!!!
Sydney Korin - 1 lb. 14 oz.; 10 weeks in NICU

#14 micheleinohio

micheleinohio

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

My boys love frozen gogurt and fresh fruits. I'm not anywhere near as creative as the rest of you.
Michele

#15 Minette

Minette

7500-Post Club

• Members
  • 8,948 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

This is kind of random, but mine both seem to like enchiladas. biggrin.gif

Our fail-safe food is frozen mini-quiches from Costco. I dread the day they start turning them down.

They also like just about any kind of muffin or quick bread (banana bread, etc.), as long as it's not too crumbly.

Other faves:
cut-up fruit (esp. bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and AVOCADO)
fish sticks
scrambled eggs
multigrain crackers
Nutrigrain bars
pizza (including pizza with meat, which they pretty much don't eat in any other form)

And if I'm desperate to get a vegetable into them, I feed them baby food, which they love (goodness knows why).
Alden (39)

Posted Image Amy Elizabeth and Sarah Ellen, born 11/05 at 37w. Amy 5 lbs 10 oz, Sarah 6 lbs 0 oz.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 p31heather

p31heather

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:
    Music, sewing, cooking, all the basic SAHM stuff. I like to be crafty and do crafts with the girls.

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Chicken Rotel has been a recent hit.
PT if you want the recipe.
Heather

married for 12 yrs to Rob
Visit My Family Website

Fraternal Girls Born 5/13/05
Alexis Hope & Rachel Grace

#17 naomi02

naomi02

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,068 posts
  • Interests:
    TS...obviously ;) And taking pics of my beautiful babies!!

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

Frozen Yogurt-covered Cheerios:

mix a bowl of cheerios with just enough yogurt to coat....spread out on a plate/cookie sheet with wax paper & freeze. They love these & a great snack!!!
3Snugglebugs Etsy shop
Check out my etsy shop for super cute hats & headbands!
www.etsy.com/shop/3Snugglebugs
Or, find me on facebook: 3Snugglebugs facebook page

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 marieber

marieber

10000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 12,382 posts
  • Interests:
    Cooking, swimming, taekwondo, dogs, my girls, planting things for the deer to eat ;-)

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

Veggies they love: fresh roasted beets (they like canned ones too, but love fresh!), boiled carrots with butter and herbs, peas (all), creamed spinach, little spinach, zucchini and broccoli pancakes sold in the kosher section of the frozen foods aisle

Fruits: all

Meats: use dark meat chicken (goes down easier and tastes better), make meatballs of all sorts and add veggies like shredded carrots and spinach and freeze them in baggies

marieber (Marie) Posted Image

Mommy Melissa and Jade, and a goofy vizsla named Laszlo!

#19 kaysyd

kaysyd

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(naomi02 @ Jun 28 2007, 11:36 AM) View Post
Frozen Yogurt-covered Cheerios:
mix a bowl of cheerios with just enough yogurt to coat....spread out on a plate/cookie sheet with wax paper & freeze. They love these & a great snack!!!

can't wait to try them!!
Identical Little Lovebugs
Emergency C-section at 27 weeks:
Kaysandra Lin - 2 lbs.; 10 weeks in NICU, brain surgery May 2008 with great recovery!!!!
Sydney Korin - 1 lb. 14 oz.; 10 weeks in NICU

#20 marcy874

marcy874

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:
    Reading, travel, cooking (when I have time!)

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(kaysyd @ Jun 27 2007, 12:42 PM) View Post
Quiches with sour cream in them- covers up the smell of the egg. This is the only way I can get Syd to eat eggs. I put them in the little muffin pan and it makes individualized quiches.

If you need to add calories to their meals- I make pudding with half and half and whole milk. I add avocado to things. I put a little butter on their veggies- I have no problems getting veggies or fruit in them.

Sweet potato fries- a variation of the "fry" but they taste great!

These are great ideas! I have a mini muffin pan that has seen little use, so I need to try the mini-quiches - mine won't eat eggs or meat either!

Lately mine have been eating these fish nuggets I got (breaded chunks of fish, not minced fish) if they can dip them in ketchup. I've found out they they like everything better if they can dip it!!

Spaghetti is always a hit and about the only way they'll eat hamburger. They also love mac n cheese, so I've started putting a little canned tuna in it and they're not picking it out yet!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users