Postpartum Hernia?

2 replies to this topic

#1 2BMommyof2

2BMommyof2

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

I had a c-section at 38w1d and shortly thereafter discovered that I have a hernia. Apparently, I got so big when I was pregnant that my intestines ripped through my abdomen and are now just below my skin. When I lay down, you can see my intestines (gross, but it looks like a garden hose). When I had horrible gas following the c-section, you could see the gas passing through my intestines and it actually looked like there was a third baby still in my belly kicking. It doesn't bother me alot, but it is unsightly. My OB says that we should wait it out and see if it corrects itself as my uterus contracts, but if it doesn't, we may have to go in for surgery.

Has anyone had this happen and if so, did it correct itself?

B/B Twins born via scheduled c-section on June 8, 2007 @ 38W+1D
Talan Diego - 7lbs 8ozs
Conor Joseph - 5lbs 8ozs

#2 KCMichigan

KCMichigan

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

I have an umbilical hernia post partum....but mine is small (1 inch or so) and I visited a surgeon. He said he would fix it at anytime, BUT it would not close on its own- since it was small no hurry- though any other pregnancies may make it larger.

I would ask for a 2nd opinion after all your post partum issues resolved (c section healing) and then follow up. You can get intestine 'caught' in the hernia and it seriously hurts (I have had 2 other hernias repaired, I am prone to them). It MAY get smaller a bit after all heals, but will not likely go away.
Posted Image

#3 Nifty

Nifty

10000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 12,180 posts
  • Interests:
    Children, Writing, Gardening,Reading

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hi 2Bmommyof2!

That sounds like a huge hernia! I can hardly believe that the doctor told you to wait and see. Are you sure that it is a full hernia with that much of your internal organs visible through a thin layer of skin? I would have to wonder about your risk of a strangulated intestine in this scenario.

If I were you, I think I would bring this up urgently at the next OB visit (you must be due for the 6 week post partum checkup soon?). I am not a doctor, but I do not think I would be inclined to live with a hernia of that size for any length of time. Apart from the health risk of a hernia that large, I don't think you should have to live with such a disfigurement. PLease talk to your doctor and see what your options may be.

Good luck! hug99.gif Please let us know how you make out!
Renée Posted Image

SAHM to 5 Wonderful Children I am a moderate pro-choice Catholic free-thinker

Posted Image Jesus was the original liberal. Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users