Postpartum bleeding after twins?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Twins08

Twins08

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi ladies, I'm due any day now and have lots of questins running through my mind.

My question is, did you bleed a lot more postpartum with twins than with a singleton pregnancy? I've heard it is much heavier bleeding after twins. Ughh! It seems as though each time I have a baby, the postpartum bleeding is heavier and worse! I can't imagine what it will be like with twins!!!

#2 DATJMom

DATJMom

17500-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 19,955 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

Yes, I did and I bled for alot longer on and off too. Congrats you are almost there!!

Rachel

Leah 10/10/04

Derek and Tyler 12/05/06

#3 EOMommy

EOMommy

100-Post Club

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

My doctor said you have less pp bleeding with a c-section.
I bled for a few days after and then it was merely spotting. By 3 weeks pp I was pantiliner free!!!
(I had an emergency c-section)
Posted Image

#4 jillangel

jillangel

500-Post Club

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

I too had way less bleeding with the twins but it was a csection where my first was vaginal and I bled a long time.
Jill
love my honey Ken
mommy to Ashley Jordan 40 weeks 5 days 02/16/97
Morgan and Megan identical girls 36 weeks 2 days ttts survivors 08/17/07
Riley Madison 40 weeks 6 days 8/14/08
3 girls in a year! Let the games begin!
best pooch Dakota and hissy cat Mixum

#5 lilly_&_hunter

lilly_&_hunter

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:
    Scrapbooking, playing with our 2 chocolate labs - Lilly and Hunter, boating, camping, shopping :)

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

I had a c-section and had spotty bleeding up until 6 weeks post partum.

Molly and Owen born at 32 weeks 2 days (due to preeclampsia)
17 day NICU stay
Jessica - 25
Benjie - 28
Our furbabies - Lilly and Hunter

#6 Emily@Home

Emily@Home

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

I was noticing that I was bleeding more (esp. if I got up and moved around), and then one morning almost two weeks out from L&D (I delivered vaginally), I basically started REALLY bleeding alot more than what I had ever thought was normal. I ended up back in the hospital within two hours with "retained product" (part of placenta left in there). Had to have a D&C to take care of it.

After the D&C, bleeding was noticeably less and stopped altogether about 6 days after the procedure.

I guess I'm sharing this because anyone having too much bleeding or any clotting/bright red stuff should definitely get on the phone with the doc just to make sure it's normal. I lost a lot of blood and almost had to have another transfusion.
Emily
Wife of Chad
Mama to Crash (1/25/01),
Spike (11/3/02),
Little Rabbit (10/30/06),
& Identical Twin Babies Rex & Viper (6/13/08)

Some facts about us:
**TTTS Twins, Stage I born vaginally w/ epi @ 34w1d (Donor 5 lbs., Recipient 6 lbs. 12 oz.)
**13 weeks Bedrest (7 weeks in hospital)
**NICU time: 1 week and 2 weeks
**Experience with Breastfeeding Preemies/NICU Babies
**Still breastfeeding

#7 heathertwins

heathertwins

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:
    I love children's books. I read many books on how to be a better parent but somedays it just seems that I'm killing trees. Maybe they should quit cutting down forests to make parenting books and we will be better off.

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

I don't have a first pregnancy to compare but they had to give me a second bag of pitocin and then it was 12 hours later before I was able to get in a wheelchair to see them in special care. I was soooo dizzy getting into the wheelchair and we had to try it several times because it just poured out. I used pads for a full 6 weeks after if not longer. I never had major clots though. I also had a c/section.
Twin girls 2.5 yrs old & 15 month old daughter
busy house with three under 2.5 yrs old.

Say NO to mommy guilt !!!

#8 JicJac

JicJac

25000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 27,383 posts
  • Interests:
    kids, scrapbooking, outdoors

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

I bled for almost 8 weeks after my twins and a c-section.
I bled for about 4 weeks after my singleton and a vaginal birth.

Jackie
Identical Twin to Jennifer
Mom to Clayton & Audrey (Summer 2005)
and Evan (Spring 2008)

Audrey's Caringbridge Site
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Guest_becky5

Guest_becky5
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

I actually bled less, mostly because my activity level wasn't as high as after my single babies. I was mostly sitting, feeding babies! Good luck with your delivery!

#10 KCMichigan

KCMichigan

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have only had twins- but after an emergency C, I bled for 12 weeks (I kid you not)- heavy for the first 7 of them. UGH! I talked to my OB and she said that was the far end of normal and if it did not stop by 16 they would look into it.
Posted Image

#11 girls!

girls!

5000-Post Club

• Hall of Honor
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

I had much less bleeding with my twins, but I also had a c-section with the twins. With my son I had a vaginal birth and bled until he was 10 it seemed.

Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe, and enthusiastically act upon, must inevitably come to pass. -Paul Meyer

#12 Twins08

Twins08

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

Thanks ladies, I'm hoping it won't be too bad...it just seems like the more babies I've had, the heavier the bleeding after. Sucks! LOL!

#13 christineduray

christineduray

50-Post Club

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

I'd like to second the previous post about retained product. I had really bad bleeding at 4 weeks, ended up in the ER. I was given meds and the doctor told me it was probably my period (HA). At 6 weeks, they had to do a D&C and two days later I ended up in the ER again and delivered the rest of the placenta that they missed at the D&C.

My point is not to scare you but to make sure you realize that feeling really bad 6 weeks post delivery isn't normal and you shouldn't still be on pain meds and bleeding heavily. If you are...please get medical attention and demand an ultrasound. I wish I had known then what I know now!
Christine
Mom to Grace and Connor (October 17, 2007)

#14 Lia and Lisa

Lia and Lisa

Valued Twinstuff Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

I had my girls 11 weeks ago and I bled heavy for 8 weeks and now i have on and off spotting and the doc said it was normal!! I had a c-section and this was my first pregnancy!!!! I was so excited not to have my period for 9 months but i guess i am making up for it now! hahah
[font=Comic Sans MS]
Lia weighed 6.6oz at birth & Lisa weighed 6.7oz at birth both were 19 inches

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users