Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:22 AM

c-section or vaginal birth?

#2 miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18

5000-Post Club

• Moderators
  • 7,173 posts
  • Interests:
    A few of my favorite things: Joss Whedon, Tim Horton's coffee, my iPhone, Walk Off The Earth, Nathan Fillion, birth & breastfeeding, Felicia Day, anything made with sugar as the primary ingredient, The Walking Dead.

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:35 AM

i don't think there is a "normal" - i think it really depends on each individual situation. my mono/di girls were delivered vag at 34w1d & baby B was larger by a pound and a half. both girls were head down for the majority of my pregnancy. baby B was also polyhydramios (or whatever it's called when they have more amniotic fluid than their twin) so there was some concern of TTTS developing but it never did.
Rachel#3
co-moderator of the second year & breastfeeding forums

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

#3 Jenn G

Jenn G

1000-Post Club

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:53 AM

I think it can go either way depending on your ob, the babies positions, etc. My boys were c section because my ob doesn't do vbac's, but they both ended up breech so it would have been a c section regardless.
Me-Identical twin sister to Christian (who's mommy to identical twin girls Georgia and Quinn)
DH- Matt
Big sister Ava born February 22, 2005
Identical twins Van and Finn born October 22, 2007 at 35 weeks 4 days
Van 5 lbs 1 oz
Finn 6 lbs 3 oz

#4 TwinsInFL

TwinsInFL

500-Post Club

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

I have mono/di girls and have been facing the same question. From what I've gathered, you can try vag (if the positioning is right and your doctor is comfortable with it) but I personally will probably opt for c/s given some of the unwanted complications that can arise with vag births in mono/di twins (mostly cord issues). I think it also depends on how much of a membrane there is between your two babies or if they're in completely different sacs.

Again, just my preference. Have a nice talk with your peri and/or doc about it.

Danielle

Read Our Blog

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 firsttimetwinzymommy

firsttimetwinzymommy

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

It really all depends on your doctor mine is more comfortable with vag. if they are head down, but a section any other way. I would ask you Dr. how he feels about it. (mine are mono/di as well)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 ese

ese

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

mine were delivered vag. baby a was larger and head down, b was smaller and breech - all went well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 MusicalAli

MusicalAli

2500-Post Club

• Members
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Mine were vag and 7 lbs each.
Alison (33) and Tom (35).
Mom to
...identical twins Matthew Thomas and William Chester, 6-28-05 at 37 weeks. 6 lbs 15 oz and 7 lbs 1 oz, 19.5 inches.
...and Rebecca Anne, 2-2-08 at 40w5d. 10 lbs 13 oz, 22.5 inches.
...and Samuel Jacob, 11-24-09 at 40w3d. 10 lbs 4 oz, 22.5 inches.

...and Juliet Josephine, 11-21-12 at 41w3d. 9 lbs 12 oz, 21.5 inches

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish" - Mother Teresa

#8 AZStacy

AZStacy

Twinstuff Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

I'm 27 wks prego with mono/di twins and my peri and OB both agree that a c-section without question. I had a previous c which makes it automatic, but my docs regardless would have chosen c. Also, my docs won't let me go past 36 weeks as monodizygotic twins have an increased chance of still born after 36 weeks. The less stress on them and mom is the best for twins.

#9 Ali M

Ali M

10000-Post Club

• Members
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:52 AM

Mine were by c-section but that was only because we had to induce before my body was ready and I came down with complications that necessitated a semi-emergency c-section. We were planning on a vaginal birth.
Alison
6/03 Ainsley (5lbs 5oz) & Sierra (3lbs 15oz) 35.3 weeks
3/07 Dax (9 lbs 9 oz) 41.6 weeks
12/08 Ewan (9 lbs 7 oz) 42 weeks

#10 ferfischer

ferfischer

250-Post Club

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:
    Trying to keep up with my active boy and twin girls, one of which is severely disabled with a brain injury. That doesn't leave much time for anything else!

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

I had a c-section with my mo/di twins. They were both breech so I didn't have a choice. They had TTTS, monitored frequently and it was stable. I went to 38w4d! They were small but healthy and came home with me. If they had both been vertex I would have thought about a vaginal birth (I had a successful vag birth with DS) but since TTTS was already an issue, I may have wanted the c-section anyway. As it was my donor baby only had an apgar of 3!

Me (Jenny) and DH - 34
Posted Image Max - 2/9/06
Posted Image ID twins Penny and Cici - 11/26/07 - TTTS survivors born at 38w4d after 21 weeks of bedrest! 6lb1oz and 5lb2oz. Cici is severely disabled after a choking accident at 11 months old. Read more at our blog.
Our blog - The Fisch Tank
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users