A bit freaking out after mc - beta #s

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by bosco, Mar 13, 2009.

1. bosco

bosco New Member

I actually posted here a few months ago because I had just found out that I was pregnant with twins, but development seemed behind where I should have been. Well, I ended up miscarrying the twins (due to a chromosomal issue). I waited one cycle before we ttc again and found out a week ago that I'm pregnant. On Tuesday, when I think I was 14-16 dpo (and my husband was out of town before that so I don't think I can be any farther along) my OB had me come in for a blood test. My hcg came back at 750 and progesterone at 35. I haven't gotten the results of the repeat test yet, but I went on to betabase.info and that number seems really high! I already have a 2.5 year old daughter and would be thrilled (but scared ) to be pregnant with twins again (and hopefully have a better outcome this time). My mom is also a fraternal twin... Anyone btdt?

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I haven't btdt, but I did want to send you MANY positive vibes. I hope things work out well and that you have a happy and healthy pregnancy. :hug: :hug:

BTW, my beta at 14 dpo was 350. So yours is way up there. :good:

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm no help with beta #'s, but wanted to say congrats to you again. :)

4. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

Wish I knew about numbers, but, I do wish you luck!

5. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Mine was in the 600's around day 15. I think it doubles every other day or something? So being off a day can make a big difference in calculating. But at day 14, sounds like it could definitely be twins! Either way, it's a sign that things are going great. Good luck with your pregnancy!

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

15 day for us was around 316so 750 sounds HIG e- esp if you are 14 DPO--16 DPO also sounds like 2! But it varies mom to mom....cant wait to see what you find out!

KC

7. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

My betas were off the charts for both my singletons and these twins. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I know that with my first two all the nurses were speculating twins. This tiime based on my history they said it was probably just one. Opps :rotflmbo:

8. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Its really hard to tell with just one beta. I have heard some people with seriously high betas and only having singletons and people with low betas having twins. Good luck and hope you get a healthy pg (twins or not!)

9. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Not sure about the betas, but wanted to send you good thoughts for a healthy pregnancy!!! :hug:

10. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

whether it's one or two, those are great numbers... good luck and keep us posted!

11. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:Clap: Congratulations on the pregnancy...can't wait to find out if there are two!!

:hug: about the miscarriage!

12. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your pregnancy! :banana:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but after I miscarried in Oct. of 07, my ob did warn that the odds of conceiving multiples during the first few cycles after a m/c are greatly increased. (She didn't, however, say ANYTHING about a full year after the fact! :pardon: )

Good luck and keep us posted!!
    Eve

13. bosco

bosco New Member

A bit of an update - my 2nd test (2 days later) was 1950 and progesterone of 54. So the numbers more than doubled!
    I have my first OB appointment next week, so I'll let everyone know whether I'll be back here or not!

14. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]Hi, just wanted to say Congratulations on your pregnancy and wish you a happy and healthy one whatever the outcome :D [/SIZE]

15. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

Good News!! :D

16. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Keep us updated!

17. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(bosco @ Mar 16 2009, 05:05 PM) [snapback]1231332[/snapback]
    A bit of an update - my 2nd test (2 days later) was 1950 and progesterone of 54. So the numbers more than doubled!
    I have my first OB appointment next week, so I'll let everyone know whether I'll be back here or not!

Good luck at your appt. next week. :)

18. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bosco @ Mar 16 2009, 05:05 PM) [snapback]1231332[/snapback]

Can't wait to hear. Good luck. :hug:

19. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! How wonderful!!! That would just be amazing if you are having twins again. I can't wait to hear your news.

20. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Sounds like high betas and high progesterone numbers! Good luck! If it were a betting pool, I would definately say it's twins. Let us know how it goes...

21. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

oh wow your progesterone is super high! i would be shocked to hear there is only 1 baby in there! congrats on your new pg! i mc the month before i conceived my twin girls! and my mom is a fraternal twin as well!

22. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bosco @ Mar 14 2009, 12:13 AM) [snapback]1227145[/snapback]
    I actually posted here a few months ago because I had just found out that I was pregnant with twins, but development seemed behind where I should have been. Well, I ended up miscarrying the twins (due to a chromosomal issue). I waited one cycle before we ttc again and found out a week ago that I'm pregnant. On Tuesday, when I think I was 14-16 dpo (and my husband was out of town before that so I don't think I can be any farther along) my OB had me come in for a blood test. My hcg came back at 750 and progesterone at 35. I haven't gotten the results of the repeat test yet, but I went on to betabase.info and that number seems really high! I already have a 2.5 year old daughter and would be thrilled (but scared ) to be pregnant with twins again (and hopefully have a better outcome this time). My mom is also a fraternal twin... Anyone btdt?

I remember mine well,,,actually have them written down in my wallet. :) We went through IVF so hcg #'s were closely monitored. Our Dr. transferred two embryos on 10/31/06. Anyway, here are/were my numbers:

8 days post-transfer: 316
    10 days post-transfer: 1,659
    14 days post-transfer: 12,959 - (in fact this is still showing on the betabase website as the highest number for 19 DPO... :)

So mine were ridiculously high...by Thanksgiving I was so sick I thought I'd die and stayed that way for almost 4 months. UGH

Your numbers sound good--best of luck to you!!!

23. bosco

bosco New Member

QUOTE(2+2more! @ Mar 17 2009, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1232882[/snapback]
    oh wow your progesterone is super high! i would be shocked to hear there is only 1 baby in there! congrats on your new pg! i mc the month before i conceived my twin girls! and my mom is a fraternal twin as well!

Thanks to everyone for your support! I will be sure to post back regardless of whether there is 1 or 2 (assuming that everything goes well, of course)! I didn't even know that the progesterone number was indicative of anything (only that if it was too low that's a bad thing). Any further insight on this? Is it typical for the progesterone number to also rise rapidly?

Thanks again. You guys don't know how nice it is to be able to "talk" to people without sounding like I'm thinking too much or reading too much into things!!

24. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Normally progesterone should be anywhere from 25-50 per released egg. But that may just be with fertility drugs. My progesterone was well over 100 and I was pg with quads, so that was about right. Your prog should increase as your hcg increases (not as much obviously). Sounds like your numbers are great!! Congrats and can't wait to hear what you are having.

25. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

Progesterone doesn't necessarily mean anything more than betas, and betas don't mean a lot, either! Makes the wait till the ultrasound that much harder, I know. My betas with twins were higher than with my singleton, though.

From what I've seen and read, doubling time is a better indicator of multiples than just the beta numbers alone. Have you calculated it out yet? Here's one I found:
    http://www.obfocus.com/calculators/betahCG.htm

Sorry about your miscarriage, but congrats on a great start to this pregnancy! :)

26. Always

Always New Member

Hi there, my progesterone levels are 660 at 15DPO and to say I'm worried is an understatement. Can you share any more light on progesterone levels? I'm completely at a loss with google search and my scan is not for another 10 days! TIA