Sleeping too much? Should we be worried?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jb35sport, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jb35sport

jb35sport Active Member

I'm just curious what's normal in regards to sleeping during the day/night. Our twins are now about 2.5 weeks old and it seems they sleep ALL THE TIME. Our other son (which is now 4) seemed far more alert and awake by this same time. Our son was born at 38 weeks and the twins born at 37 weeks.

Should we be concerned that they are awake with eyes open for such little periods during the day? I know they need plenty of sleep considering they are newborns but they rarely are awake for longer than 15-20 minutes at any clip......I think they are awake alot longer than that squirming around, etc but only have their eyes open for 15-20 minutes at any point throughout the day.

Is this normal?

~J

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know at 2 weeks they sleep A LOT! I was always worried that they weren't awake enough, too, but it is entirely normal for them to sleep tons those first weeks. :hug:

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Sounds fine to me...my guys were never awake for more than a 1/2 hour for the first month.

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Sounds totally normal to me! Mine were born at 35 weeks and they spent at least the first 4 weeks sleeping all day and all night, only waking up to eat. Enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My baby was born at 40 weeks and he slept a lot!!! Sounds very normal to me! Enjoy it while you can!

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yep, totally normal. Mine slept from one bottle feeding to the next alot during the day. Now the night was totally different. :angry:

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always think it's ironic that we all seem to spend the first month wishing they would wake up & the next year wishing they would sleep (at least that's how it was for me, I always worried they were sleeping too much, then I worried they weren't sleeping enough!)!

1 person likes this.
  8. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Amen, to that one :)

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree totally normal, I think mine started waking up better around 5-6 wks, now I wish they'd sleep longer than 30 mins at a time! :laughing:

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Don't worry, they'll wake up. Pretty soon you'll be wishing they would sleep more!

11. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

This is alot like what mine did. They ate and then went back to sleep for the first 4 weeks... and i agree enjoy it because around 6wks it took a turn for us..