Tested positive for Strep B

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by alynenicole, Aug 22, 2009.

1. alynenicole

alynenicole Active Member

So i went to my doctor for my 30 week appt and found out that my uterus is measuring the size of a singleton pregnancy at 38 weeks and that the baby's are about 3 & 1/2 pounds each, my doctor said that they are very healthy great news!! On the other hand i had tested positive for Strep B which scared the crap out of me but the doctor didn't seem to concerned. He put me on antibiotics which i have to take 4 times a day until the box is gone. I have been reading up on it online but as you know you read the good stories along with the bad stories. I jsut wanted to know if anyone else experienced this or knew someone who did.. Thanks !!!

2. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

I tested positive two out of three times (I forgot to ask about the results when they did it in the hospital 2 weeks ago, so I don't know yet for this pregnancy). One of those times they didn't even have enough time to get in the 2 doses of antibiotics they like to give you when you're in labour (I got in one dose at 10 cms and pushing), and everything turned out fine. While the risks are scary, the worst case scenario is pretty rare. The thing about GBS, is that you can test positive or negative at one point in the pregnancy, and then have different results later on, and since the bacteria takes a few days to culture, it's useless to test for it in labour. So, they screen for it earlier, but there are some women who will be positive in labour, but will not be treated because their previous status was negative - and the vast majority of the time, their babies are totally fine.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I tested positive for both of my pregnancies. C-section was no biggie but with my vaginal delivery I had to have antibiotics in my IV during labor/birth. I didn't have to take any any other time (prior to birth). It can be serious if you don't know but since it is a manditory test, it is well managed.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

I was GBS+ for 3 of my pregnancies. I was given antibiotics during labor and had no issues.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's really not a big deal at all, if you know about it and get antibiotics. I've never heard of taking them before labor, though. I had to have them via IV for one of my deliveries.

6. alynenicole

The only reason i could think that he would give me antibiotics now is that we know that im having a c-section and he also mentioned that if i didn't take them now i would be more likely to have PTL, i guess it's a higher percent with GBS.

7. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure he knows what he's talking about! I didn't mean to imply that he didn't. :hush: I just hadn't heard of that before. Good luck with everything!

8. alynenicole

I hope he knows what he's talking about LOL!! What i read was everyone gets it in there IV's during labor but i will just put faith in him and hope for the best! Thanks :D

9. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

I think if the level is high enough , they will give you antibiotics to try to reduce the numbers prior to delivery.

10. becky5

becky5 Guest

I had antibiotics, in pill form, before I had the twins for GBS. I think that it can keep coming back, so that is why it is so important to get the IV antibiotics in right before delivery.

11. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I was positive and had antibitoics in an IV during labor. No problems at all!