Interesting article about U.S. Christians becoming more Hindu-like

Discussion in 'General' started by jxnsmama, Aug 25, 2009.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting article about how Christians in the U.S. are becoming more like Hindus in their beliefs about the way to God and the afterlife.

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

While I agree that the US, as a nation, is viewing religion differently than in the past, I think it's a leap to say Christians have more Hindu beliefs, one reason citing that 24% of Americans (not necessarily Christian Americans) believe in reincarnation. I can understand the points that the author is making in the article though. However, it sounds a little sensationalist to me.

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I think the article rings true. Many Americans are becoming more respectful of non-Christian religions, and that respect necessarily includes a belief in the validity of those religions. I understand it is likely not the case with true, fundamentalist Christians, but I think a lot of people who loosely identify as "Christian" are rejecting the traditional "my way or the highway" approach to Christianity. When you have 65% of the population in a country that identifies as 70+% Christian saying that there is more than one path to heaven, you clearly have a population that is adopting more Hinduistic beliefs, even if they wouldn't self-identify as Hindu.

1 person likes this.
  4. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I think this is scary. But I am not suprised...i also do not think it has anything to do with being respectful. The Bible tells us there is ONLY WAY to the father. But it all depends on if you believe in the Bible or not...

Brandy

1 person likes this.
  5. rrodman

"Scary" is a bit of a stretch. How is it "scary" that Americans are more respectful of other religions? I get that you think it's wrong and they are going to hell, but why would it scare you? How does it affect your path? And how do you reconcile things like the Bible saying that Jews are the chosen people? I know BAC who believe that Jews are going to heaven despite not believing in Christ.

3 people like this.
  6. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Wholeheartedly agree. The author took questions asked during a survey and sensationalized the data. If someone were to ask me if I believed I would see people from many different religions in heaven, I would say, yes. However, I do believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father, so for someone to misrepresent me as believing in Hinduism, would be just that - a misrepresentation. I also think that they have some information wrong. I have never believed that the body is sacred and reunited with the spirit after death. It states that as if it's a commonly held belief. Did I miss something?

Also, sorry Rachael, but I disagree with you that this has anything to do with respect. Respecting that someone's beliefs are different than yours are a far cry from agreeing with those beliefs. I'm not sure what you are implying by a "belief in the validity of those beliefs", but I don't think that you have to agree with a person in any way shape or form to respect them. If so, how do explain friendships between believers (of any religion) and atheists/agnostics?

7. rrodman

Well, I guess it's the difference between respecting a person despite their beliefs and respecting their beliefs. It's hard to say that you have respect for beliefs that you think are dead wrong and a path to hell. You may still have respect for the person who holds those beliefs.

I do think that, as a general rule, Americans are becoming more respecting of other beliefs. Not just a respect for the person, but a respect for the actual beliefs themselves. People who would self-identify as Christians coming to believe that a Jew or a Muslim or a Hindu, etc. may also have a valid path to Heaven. I understand that may not comport with the beliefs of traditional Christians, but I do see it more.

As far as the article, I don't think it was saying that people are becoming Hindus - it actually says the opposite. Rather, it says that Americans are becoming more Hinduistic in their approach to Christianity. It's completely consistent with what I've seen from some friends and also with my own path from a Methodist to what I would currently consider to be agnostic.

8. a1cbrandy

I do believe its scary for the lost people, to hear that Jesus isnt the only way. Why?? Because once dead..they will not have another chance, to accept the truth. Its harsh, but its what I will always know to be the truth according to the Bible and my relasionship with Christ. It effects my path, because I am too love all people..and tell them about Christ and his sacrifice. It may not effect me the same way as it effects them, but I would hate for anyone to die without knowing the Lord..honestly.
    I believe the Jews were God's chosen people, before Christ came and died for ALL of our sins. now anyone who accepts his gift of everlasting life..are the chosen ones. I can't answer about the Jews who do not accept Christ going to heaven or not, all I know and will always believe..if you have to accept Christ as your savior...to be with him when we die. I dont pretend to know everything..and yes maybe I will be suprised when I get "up" there with HIM. I just need to work on myself..and tell others about the gift He has to offer.

Brandy

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't see myself as a "lost person" because I do not believe that Jesus is the Son of G-d and my savior. I think it is respectful to understand that not everyone believes the same and each of us, through our own beliefs find our own path to G-d. Who make you the authority to say that I am "lost" because I don't believe as you do. As much as you believe that I am wrong, I believe that you are wrong in your belief. So who does that make right?

I believe that everyone has the ability to find the belief system that works for them. BUT they do NOT have the right to tell everyone that believes differently that they are wrong or lost! We are talking about a BELIEF system, not a FACT system. As I see it, if G-d wanted there to be only one way to him, then there would only be one way.

BTW, Jews still are the Chosen People, whether you believe that or not--you have even said so yourself in the past. I have never met anyone who has ever said otherwise!

10. a1cbrandy

Sharon..without us getting upset at each other again, I understand we believe differently. I am not going to argue that. I am just going to say my beliefs are just that...my beliefs. According to my beliefs there is no other way to God except through Jesus Christ. I know you do not agree with me..and that is ok. I still enjoy your conversations..and hope you can see, we just believe in different things.

Brandy

11. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Well said Sharon, I'm sorry you have to put up with this for the 500th time. :(

I don't think Hinduism or Hindu like beliefs are scary at all. It's the world's 3rd largest religon. What's more scary to me is folks who think everybody else's religion is wrong, bad, evil, or scary, and then translate those antipathies into violence and oppression.

To me, the more diverse the better!!

12. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

OK, I am totally not getting this "sensationalized the data" thing. You basically proved the author's point with your sentence right after that, that Americans are more "Hindu-like", not that they believe in Hinduism. Meaning, Christians are opening up to the possibility that other belief systems are valid and can lead to heaven.

13. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

According to the KJV of the Bible I have read, once you are dead you DO get a chance. Everyone is awakened, given the truth and then given a chance to accept it. Maybe your truth is harsh, but not everyone's is.

But you DO "pretend" to know everything. How many times have we heard that your beliefs are the truth and everyone else is just screwed?

2 people like this.
  14. a1cbrandy

I wouldnt say I think I am always right...just confident in my beliefs. I also know that if there is someone who I dont like reading their posts, I would just ignore them. :)

Brandy

15. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I agree with this Donita. Maybe this is what the author is considering more Hinduistic beliefs? This has been in the bible since it was written, it's simply been a matter of interpretation. That's what I mean by sensationalism to think this is a new idea. Perhaps this belief is spreading, but it's not new. I also think that many believe we are judged immediately after death and then you get rewarded or punished according to your actions and beliefs on Earth. This has probably been the mainstream belief of what Christians believe, rather than those of us like you (Donita) and me.

16. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I think the article rings true also. I am one of those traditional Christians who embraces and acknowledges there are more than just one path to the same God. I think a lot of the old traditional churches like my own are holding strong to the "my way or the highway" belief but I think also more of the population rejects this and these churches are in danger of dying in the future.

17. a1cbrandy

I would be interested in the verse that says there is are more ways to God than through Jesus Christ. Can anyone share them pleas?

Brandy

18. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Just like I'm sure, other religions ( I admit, I'm totally clueless as to the foundations and beliefs of other religions) have their steadfast beliefs some of which probably include beliefs totally opposite from Christianity. Why can't Jews, Buddhists, etc. have their own path to their own god? We can all believe in something, but no matter how strong our beliefs are - there is always room for others' beliefs.

Let's see......

I'm going to a cabin in the middle of the woods. I think the *only* way to get there is through this small trail that I know about. My neighbor thinks the *only* way to get there is in a canoe by way of a small river that runs through the woods, behind the cabin. The guy in the next town over thinks you have to parachute out of a plane at a certain landmark. The woman at the grocery store thinks you have to dig a tunnel from the local park. A woman across the world thinks you have to find your way there without a path to follow. And the local postman just takes the main road right to the driveway. Guess what? We all still made it there - in our own way, with our own beliefs.

1 person likes this.
  19. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

No?

Right. The belief that we immediately go to heaven or hell when die is a relatively new belief.

1 person likes this.
  20. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow! Love it.

21. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

I think it'll probably scare people because the common belief regarding Hinduism is... "Many gods... and ***gasp*** cows!" :laughing:

I don't think it says people are believing in Hinduism. Just that they are more Hindu like these days. Hindus are pretty cool about religious beliefs IMO.. They happily embrace any path to God, and are usually willing to worship in any house of prayer.

:Clap:

22. Mama_Kim

The verse from where? The Christian Bible? That would make no sense. That would be like using the the instruction manual for my oven to try and operate the dishwasher. [​IMG] Every major religion has its own holy book so to try and use the Christian Bible in support of Islam (or any other religion) is nonsensical.

23. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

Oh, the company in hell will be SO much better...

24. a1cbrandy

Exactly my point. My truth is only from the Holy Bible, which states...Jesus is the only way to the Father.

25. sharongl

Well, MY TRUTH states that the Messiah has not yet come, therefore there is no Jesus to guide you to G-d, I can do that all on my own--thank you!

Can you see where your method of telling everyone over and over that YOUR WAY is the ONLY way rubs many of us raw?

You are constantly saying that you are right and that there is no other path. For a moment, stop and consider how you would feel if you were constantly told that what you believe is ABSOLUTELY WRONG, and you just may get how many of us feel. You tell that to us all the time. So, for the upteenth time, please remember that your way is not the only belief system out there.

I stand by my statement that if G-d had wanted there to be only one belief system, then He would have made it that way. I believe that he is that powerful. He wants people to think, and believe in Him or not believe in Him as they see fit. Only when we are in His presence at death will we understand why. That is why I believe that there cannot be any ONE way to G-d.

1 person likes this.
  26. a1cbrandy

Sharon...this is something we will just have to agree to disagree on. :) I have been told I am wrong..many times. You are in fact telling me that in this post. It doesnt rub me the wrong way..because its your opinion and belief. Just like my opinion and my belief is that Jesus is Lord and Savior and the only way to the Father. Again its my BELIEF.

Brandy

1 person likes this.
  27. sharongl

Brandy, the difference is that I am never telling people how they should believe, something you do on a constant basis.

28. a1cbrandy

I dont think what I do is telling people how they should believe. I tell people what I believe..and what the Bible says. I tell them about the gift of Christ. The rest is up to them..and the Lord, speaking to them. I will forever tell about Jesus, and nothing can stop that, and this I think is what you dont like about me. I understand it..but cant change what I believe to be my job for Christ in this life.

Brandy

29. Mama_Kim

And you, in turn, have made my point. It is your truth. It is not necessarily anyone else's truth. No one on Earth knows whose truth is right, if in fact, any of us are right at all. And your truth may come from the Christian Bible but someone else's may come from the Qur'an.

30. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I'm sorry, but you do not do the latter. What you do is give people your personal interpretation of a particular version of a book. Which is fine btw... It's just not "what the Bible says" that's all.

2 people like this.
  31. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Precisely! It's not "what the Bible says" it's what Brandy believes the Bible says. No 2 people are going to read every verse the same way.

2 people like this.
  32. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

No, nobody has told you that you are lost and your beliefs are wrong. We have told you that it is wrong to tell others that their beliefs are wrong. Sharon has never told you that your religious beliefs are wrong. She has never said that you are lost. Never said that you are not going to heaven.

1 person likes this.
  33. sharongl

Thank you, Donita!

34. HamiltonDad

HamiltonDad Well-Known Member

That's interesting! Where does it say that?

1 person likes this.
  35. rrodman

:rofl: