Really need some help

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Oct 19, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

I understand that some babies need to be rocked to sleep. The swing, someones arms, etc. one of my LO's goes NUTS before he sleeps ALL THE TIME. he literally freaks out. makes grunting sounds, and stretches himself out in your arms so you literally have to squeeze him so he stays close to you.
    i know he likes to be rocked but it takes anywhere between 15-30 mins to get him to stop and finally fall asleep. sometimes even when he is in your arms, he still doesn't fall asleep.

any tips? is this normal sleepy behavior? i am assuming its bc hes so tired ?

2. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

one of mine are the exact same way. you have to rock, hold or even sleep with him. It seems like the second I lay him down, I may have time to take a sip of a drink or run to the bathroom and he is up crying. I put him in the swing the other night and he did cry while I went to the bathroom for a couple minutes and when I got back, he was out! I guess it was a mini CIO lol didnt mean to do it that way but it happened.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: It sounds like he might be over tired. Maybe you could try moving the routine up by 30 minutes or so?

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Can you swaddle him in a blanket when you are soothing him and when he settles down slowly unwrap him? I might try that. And I agree with Aimee inm that I might try and start your soothing process a bit earlier since being overtired makes it harder for them to go to sleep.

5. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Have you tired sleeping with him? Sometimes they benefit from being shown how.

6. newtothis

they dont like being swaddled.
    as of right now they nap 1 hr after the eat. pretty much at every feeding.

7. opalbarb

opalbarb Well-Known Member

Just one suggestion - mine don't "like" to be swaddled either, they usually fight it and cry... but if you can just stand the fussing for a few minutes, it really helps them to sleep. My husband sometimes doesn't have the patience to deal with the fussing and will try to leave them unswaddled - they always take longer to fall asleep and then wake themself up much more easily. So maybe try again with the swaddling, if you're desperate it might be worth another try!

8. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

They may be too big for it already, but have you tried the Miracle Blanket? One of my guys has extreme colic and would scream every night from 6-?? sometimes 3 or 4 in the morning. Someone on here suggested the Miracle Blanket and I figured why not. Literally, the first night we put him in it, I laid him down and he went to sleep on his own. He has gone to sleep after his 7 PM feed every single night since then without rocking or bouncing or patting, or the hundred other things we were doing to help him fall asleep. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Laura

9. newtothis

we use a sleepsack but thats it.
    would the swaddle blanket work from kiddaponomous?

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree it sounds like he's overtired, and I also agree that most kids don't "like" swaddling, but they sleep much better with it. I didn't give up the swaddle until about 5-6 months old. I used the large size of the swaddleme, and then wrapped a receiving blanket around that as a double swaddle. I didn't bite the bullet and give it up until they were consistently breaking out of the double swaddle! :lol:

11. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

We have the kiddopotamus ones, but they didn't work for my colicky guy (calming wise). I think the Miracle Blanket works better because there's a really long piece of material that gets wrapped around their midsection that applies just the right amount of pressure to feel good for them. It also has little flaps on the inside that actually tuck their arms in. When I put my guy in it, he instantly calms down, so it must be soothing for them. Honestly, I didn't care what about it made it work, I was just so happy to see my guy be able to sleep at night :woohoo:

It's a bit pricey ($35), but they have a money back guarantee if it doesn't work for you - so I figured I didn't have anything to lose. We got ours at USA Baby, but you can buy them directly from the site, and they have a twin discount if you buy two.

Miracle Blanket Site

Laura

12. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

My first thought when reading your email was that he might be overtired but then thought that he would have slept quickly if so. maybe a pacifier might help him. One of my sons can't sleep without it. Maybe if you try to make for them a sleeping routine every night this might help also. When I want my boys to sleep and they can't I sing to them always the same nursing song.

Good luck :hug:

13. newtothis

this happens during nap time during the day at each nap time session, too.
    im at my wits end and starting to lose patience with the LO. i feel bad and already use a paci. would you recommend swaddling him during the day? we haven't swaddled them since they were just a few weeks old.

14. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, definitely swaddle during the day!

15. newtothis

swaddled and laid LO down in his crib about 30 mins before his nap.
    rubbed his head and his back and he fell asleep, YAY!

short lived...
    only lasted 10 minutes.