how much do your 16 month old twins weigh?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by hannahshope, Nov 8, 2009.

1. hannahshope

hannahshope Well-Known Member

My girls are around 19 lbs and 21 1/2 pounds @ 16 months. i feel like the little one is so small. my ped isn't really concerned the little one just drinks pediasure. what do you guys think??

2. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

small guys over here, too!

my guys are 13 months and they've just barely cracked 19 lbs. owen may still be a couple ounces shy. i was really hoping they would be at least 20 lbs at a year but their pedi isn't concerned. neither is their daddy. i'm the only one who worries, because i can't shake the feeling that it's a reflection on me if i can't fatten them up like the rest of the babies their age!

but if they're happy and healthy and growing consistently on their own growth curves, i guess we mommies have to figure out how to be okay with it.

at this point i'm just hoping they crack 20 lbs by christmas.

3. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

We had 15 month appointment few weeks ago and my twins were 20.5 each.DD in 10% for her weight and DS in 3%. But both are in 90% for height. Being 5"10 myself I think genes play big roll in their weight. My whole family are tall and slim, so I guess twins will be the same way.
    I try to feed them healthy fatty foods and we'll see what happens. Our pedi is not concerned at all and I am trying to have same attitude.Trying reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly hard.

4. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I dont remember what they were then. But right now they are almost 21 months.
    DD weighs 21 pounds (shes always been around the 5th percentile)
    DS weighs 26.5!

If the pedi isnt worried, you shouldnt either! If you want more suggestions look in the 2nd year handbook- theres a link for HIGH CAL foods for Toddlers :)

5. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I have a small one and a average one - G is just over 16 lbs and W is around 22 lbs. It is hard, and we are seeking as much help as we can. As he is a very picky eater and is constantly moving so what little bit he does eat he burns right off. If your ped isnt worried I wouldnt be too much either. But as pp mentioned I found some good tips on trying to fatten up some of the foods I we try.

6. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Mine are 26 lbs and 25 lbs with about 6 oz between them. Kiefer who is slightly taller is the lighter one. He's a slim baby, but he's always been slim and muscular so the doctor was never worried. They are 30+" tall (I haven't measured recently) but they do appear to be a good height for their weight.

7. horizon250

horizon250 Well-Known Member

Rachel is 22 1/2 pounds and ellie is just over 19 now at 15 months. Again, no concern from the pedi so no concern from us. Try not to worry as long as she's eating well, reaching milestones and healthy.

8. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

As long as they are growing and eating, I won't be worried.

Mine are in the neighborhood of 24-25lbs, and around 34 inches, but I can tell you we've been all over the growth curve. Mark was around the 5-15% in height until 1 year old, then he grew 4 inches in 3 months, and by 15 months he was over the 90% in height.

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

my ds was 20lb 8 oz about 5% and my dd was 19lb about 2% on the standard chart. my pedi was slightly concerned at 15 months... but I tried to over compensate and got their diet all out of whack... they are finally back to being regular and are gaining. I don't want to add things like butter etc. to their veggies... just to have them gain weight... as I like that they eat their veggies w/o seasonings for the most part. I try to add other items like cheese and full fat cottage cheese and yogurts instead. Ours seem to be gaining at the same rate since about 12 months, so I think they are doing well.

10. lionheart

lionheart Active Member

My two are skinny minnies!! My DS is just over 20lbs and my DD is 17lbs 1oz. My Pedi is Concerned about DD as he feels she is too small and not gaining appropriately! We do try to add calories whereever we can but it gets hard because she is a little eater! We've gotten so far as giving them cookies, cake, ice cream, and freezies on a daily basis! DD loves her veggies just plain as is but now I have to add butter to everything, add cream in her bottle, and give her high calorie snacks! She still isn't gaining a ton of weight and in fact I think its actually given her soft stools! Our pedi is getting a stool sample to make sure she is absorbing fat properly. Somedays I get concerned but other days not so much! She was born at 2lbs 11oz so she has come a long way....but I also fear that Im ruining all the hard work I have done with their meals.....I used to make everything from scratch, puree everything from fresh and organic foods, and now I'm giving them alot of processed snacks and adding butter to everything. They used to be such good eaters but now they are starting to get picky, and I don't know if that's because of the new diet or their age.....

anyways sorry I went on, and on there, its just that it is a pressing issue around our house.

11. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

Mine are tiny too! the lil one is 17 months and two weeks ago weighed 18 lbs 5 oz. the bigger one wieghed 21 lbs 6 oz.... pedi doesn't seem overly concerned either as long as she's not showing signs of any other issues and is eating well. She's totally off of all formula/pediasure etc.... they drink organic whole milk. I do provide lots and lots of snacks and try to make their food as calorie dense as I can.... peanut butter and jelly, fruit, dairy products, add a little cheese to practically everything, depending on if I am cooking something specifically for them I might add extra virgin olive oil even when it doesn't need it.... (in pasta sauces for example). Our old pedi told me that we'll try extra hard to get their weight up for the first year (high cal formula, oil added to purees, lots of avocadoes, etc) and then after that we shouldn't worry much about it as long as they are healthy. They'll be fine! Just be sure they're eating as well as you can.

12. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

My boys each weighed in at 21.5 pounds at their 15 month visit. Jack is especially tall and skinny, James is a little shorter, so he appears a little chunkier. If the pedi isn't worried, I wouldn't worry (easier said than done I know) too much about it. My pedi always reminds me that I can't compare them to full term singleton babies because it isn't a fair comparison. She tells me that in her experience they are right where they should be and compared to other twins and/or babies born at 36 weeks they are right on track.

It's hard though when I see my nephew who is 9 months old and already weighs in at 20 pounds and has all those super cute baby fat rolls that my boys never had.

edited for spelling

13. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We're in the same boat here. :wavey: 2 months ago Nate and Jack were 19lbs and 19lbs 15 oz respectively, which is not even on the chart (Nate) and 5-10% (Jack). But they're 50% and 70% for height, so I figure at least they're growing UP if not OUT. ;)

The ped is not concerned; they are slowly catching up, so he says to keep on doing what we're doing. I just think it's funny because they mostly eat like lumberjacks, have 3 meals + 3 snacks per day AND I supplement with a huge bowl of yogurt after every meal. And they're still skinny! Wish I could eat like that! :laughing:

DH and I are wondering if we could donate some of our extra weight to them. :D

14. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

My one daughter is under the 3 % percentile. She just eats a small amount and small bites. I add cream to veggies / apple sauce/ custard. I compare all yogurts and custard for the ones with the highest calories. Then I make sure she has prunes, pears, etc. to prevent constipation.

A great book is "child of mine: feeding with love and good sense" YOU WILL THANK ME FOR IT I SWEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone on here mentioned it and it really changed my approach to feeding. Check out your library.

Heather

15. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Mine are both right around 24 lbs. They were almost 23 lbs at one year and then they lost about a pound each [being so active] and now they're on a little growth spurt [their heads are getting bigger and they are getting a little taller]. but I heard that during the 2nd year, kids gain on average about 5-8 lbs.

16. PatrycjaT

PatrycjaT New Member

My twin boys just had their 16 month checkup and they are both 29.5 pounds and 33 inches tall - I’ve been told they are big boys... they were 6.5lbs each at birth (naturally 1hr 1mim apart)