I get the worst mother of the year award!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rhc0607, Dec 4, 2009.

1. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Reece has been sleeping most of the night in his crib, but then he wakes up and we have been putting him in his swing. Well this morning I woke up and saw that he was hanging half way out of the swing! :woah: His upper torso and head were hanging completely off and I ran and grabbed him. I yelled at DH and started crying hysterically! :cry: So no more swing and we are just going to have to go cold turkey on sleeping in the crib all night! I was so scared that he did some permanent damage to his neck or back, but he is back to his normal happy self today, thank God!

Makes me rethink the never leave your child unattended in the swing!

2. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

How scary to have seen that! Glad he is OK though. GL with the crib!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Glad it was just a scare and nothing serious!

4. rhc0607

Well I am calling Fisher Price because I was reading that this has happened to other parents who use the papasan type swing.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Eek! Jack slept half the night in his swing until he was 7 months old. Thank goodness we never had that happen! Glad he's okay!

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We had a travel swing that was close to the ground and their feet and legs would slide down if not strapped in. Are there straps in that type of swing? I'm not sure I've ever seen one IRL. I'm glad he's okay!

7. rhc0607

Called Fisher Price and we have to send some parts back to them and they are giving us a full refund...I'm just happy he is ok!

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

That's great! So glad you made that phone call!

9. rhc0607

The straps are like a bouncy or high chair, but I think they should think about doing a 5 point harness for it.

10. raysNkids

raysNkids Active Member

Don't be too hard on yourself....just be glad that he's ok. That had to have been so scary for you! You might have some competition for the worst mother award. When mine were about 2 months old, I fell asleep with one while laying down nursing on the couch...and woke up to him crying on the floor! Talk about feeling horrible!! :shok:

11. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

How terrifying that must have been! And we have that same FP Papasan cradle swing. Our boys have never slept in it though, only because they can only tolerate the swinging for about 10 minutes before they get annoyed. We rarely use it anymore. Maybe I should call them and tell them my son nearly got hurt in ours and they can give us a full refund too! LOL Kidding btw :) But I will be sure and keep an eye on them whenever they do use the swing. You're right, they should have a 5 point harness.

12. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

what exact swing was it? we have the rainforest one but haven't had any issues yet. big hugs to you momma glad he's ok and try not to feel bad about it, easier said than done i know. i think a 5 pt is a great idea too.

13. rhc0607

It is the Little Lam Cradle n Swing. Here is the link.

14. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Ahhh. Our FP papasan also has some kind of lap bar in addition to the 3 point harness, though we never use it. And we won't be leaving them in the swing unattended especially now.

15. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I also have the fisher price papasan cradle swing and I had a similar experience except DS head and shoulders were the only thing holding him on the swing. This was kinda my fault though because I didn't buckly him in because He was little and I didn't think he could go anywhere. Don't feel bad your not the only mother who has done something like that.

16. waitingpaitently20

waitingpaitently20 Well-Known Member

Yep same happened to me. I don't know why they keep making these swings. :headbang: I sent back the cover and they gave me a credit of $59 for each swing

17. rrodman

Those of you who had this happen, can I ask a question? Did you have it laid back all the way? So the seat was basically horizontal, as opposed to having them sitting up a little?

Just curious, because, as I said, my kids napped in them and slept in them until 7+ months, long after they learned to roll over, etc. and never ever had any of these types of issues. Were we just lucky?

18. waitingpaitently20

Mine was the fisher price rainforest and it was made after the original ones were recalled. My sons head was caught on the side and he fell half way out. THis was at 6 months. I told the guy they should stop selling them and make them with a 5 point harness. His answer was they don' want to use a 5 point harness because then people would try to restrain kids that aren't meant for the swing in them. So I said then you guys are gonna keep making the same restraining device and the kids will keep falling out, what does it take a child loosing their life to realize that it is not safe. Ugg so mad at them. So mad because the same swing was recalled an early model and they didn't change anything about the harness and keep selling them. :headbang:

19. waitingpaitently20

I don't think the rainforest one that I had has that feature. They just sat in it regularly. I don't think the seat adjusts

20. rrodman

We had the nature's wonder or something? One had leaves and birds around the mirror and one had bees. But basically they were the same. And for both of them, there was a way to adjust the seat so that they weren't really sitting up. It was like the top of the papasan was completely horizontal, so that they were down in the bowl, and I always thought it was impossible for them to fall out. It sounds different from the rainforest one.

Thanks. Just wondering if I was lucky or if ours was different.

21. rhc0607

Ours does not have that feature as well. They just sit in the bowl. I noticed that when the swing is motionless the seats leans toward the left. I also noticed it on a model at Target and I mentioned it to the customer relations person.

22. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I had this same one and the only time I had the problem was when it was in the sitting up position and like I said I didn't buckle my son in because he was nice and swaddled. After that I always buckled him and never had that problem again. I used it with all three of my boys and only ever had that problem once.

23. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Our rainforest does lean back but not completely horizontal. The one I borrowed from a friend is definitely more upright, I sit my boy in that because he is stronger. But they just started liking their swings. Definitely good to know. And grrr about the reps not wanting to do anything about that strap issue. If someone wanted to use it to restrain an older child they could use the regular harness too duh.

24. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm glad he's okay & that you followed through with Fisher Price! That had to be very scary! :hug:

25. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the scare, but glad to hear he's ok. I've noticed my DS has started doing that (arching his back to the point of almost falling out) so we now have to make sure he's strapped in or make sure I'm in the room at all times.

I think you have competition on the award as well, tonight my DH put my DD in the bumbo seat and set it on the table. I look over to realize he hadn't put it all the way on and she was teetering on the edge. I shutter to think what could have happened.