Anyone with MoMo twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by maeghanalyson, Jan 19, 2010.

1. maeghanalyson

maeghanalyson Active Member

Were you able to give birth vaginally or did you have a c-section? I've been reading up on MoMo twins and I read alot about how they were all mandated c-sections. My only issue is....a c-sec could kill me and I dont want to take the chance unless its absolutly necessary. Any advice? I'm seeing my new high risk OB tomorrow and I want to discuss this with him.

2. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would wait to see what your dr says. Have they decided yours are def momo? I thought they waited to do that till the babies got bigger. Many moms on here were told momo early on but then found the dividing membrane later, somtimes its just too tough to see in the beginning?
    Good luck!!

3. maeghanalyson

I have already had 4 u/s and everyone that has seen it says they are MoMo. I mean I guess they could be wrong but its kinda hard to think that after so many u/s. lol

4. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

Have you had an u/s on a high resolution machine? My daughter was thought to have mo/mo twins but at 14 weeks they were able to see the membrane between the twins. It is VERY common this early to NOT be able to see the dividing membrane. If you haven't made an appointment with a perinatologist yet, make one. Check out monoamniotic.org they are the experts. If it turns out they are momo, you have a great chance they will be fine but most woman go inpatient at viability (about 24 weeks) and deliver via c/s at 32 weeks.
    Good luck!

5. maeghanalyson

I have had an u/s on a high res. machine. I had two in the hospital. The OB, radiologist, and ultrasound tech. said they were MoMo. I'm having another u/s tomorrow. Lets see what my new OB says. lol And thank you for the website!

6. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

My doctors thought my twins were MoMo until our 14 week appointment with our perinatologist. Even the peri was concerned at our 11 week appointment, but he did not call it MoMo or just Mono/Di at that point. The reasoning he said was a very thin membrame between ID's can be extremely difficult to see until later in pregnancy.

All that said, if you do have MoMo twins, you will be monitored very closely and will likely spend quite a bit of the end of your pregnancy in the hospital.I have heard a c-section is neccessary in the case of MoMo twins. Mostly because they are sharing everything and the second twin could die if the cords are tangled and the placenta starts to detatch during delivery. The placenta can detatch causing a dangerous situation for twin B in any situation where the babies share a placenta. I do think a cord accident is the biggest danger in MoMo pregnancies and deliveries. I would talk at length with your doctors about this issue. I am sure you will need to be under the care of a perinatologist since you are an extremely high risk pregnancy. He or she is the best person to discuss all of the options available to you and your babies.

I would talk to your doctors about your fear dying during a c-section. It is one of the safest surgical procedures these days, but I do not know the statistics and your doctors will be able to explain everything to you. I would be most concerned about the safe delivery of the babies.If by chance your doctors are not answering your questions and you feel you are not getting the attention you need, I would look for a new doctor.

There are quite a few women who have delivered MoMo twins on this site. I am sure they can help you as well. Congratulations on your twins!!

7. maeghanalyson

I know that a c-sec is a safe procedure and if I wasnt so sick..i wouldnt be afraid. I have alot of auto immune issues that I am still seeing my rhumetologist for. What makes me so scared is my body doesnt fight infection any more...my immune system is show. I had my gall bladder taken out recently and it took me 3 months to recover from that minor surgery and I still ended up in the hospital afterwards with a bad infection. I just dont want to think about what could happen with a c-section. *sigh* Thank you for your input. I will still cross my fingers that it is a misdiagnosis! :)

8. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Momo twins absolutely positively must be delivered via cesarean section. And they will be delivered before 32 weeks also. In fact, I believe you will be staying in the hospital for around the clock monitoring beginning at 24 weeks?? up until the day they deliver. They need to have constant monitors on the babies because of cord entanglement.

Good luck. Do you know how many yolk sacs you had? It must have been one if they are already soo sure :)

Wishing you the best :)

9. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

10. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

Hi there, my girls were mono's.

C-section is the only safe way to deliver mono's - with no dividing membrame cords are almost always entangled. Varginal delivery increases risks of cord compression, and cord prolaspe. There have been mono's delivered varginally that have survived but I would think you would struggle to find a doctor one who would let you try now.

Current practise is admission to hospital 24 - 28 weeks for monitoring until delivery between 32 - 34 weeks unless an emergency delivery needs to be performed. Monitoring ranges from CTG's 2 - 3x day up to continuous monitoring. IMO you should push for as much monitoring as possible.

Also at 9 weeks it's really early and still possible that the membrane is just hidden - I've known women on the mono site to have a membrane discovered at over 20+ weeks. So don't lose hope yet. The statistic's you often see on the internet are outdated with a 50% success rate with mono's often quoted. It's more like over 80% with c-section delivery and in-patient monitoring. www.monoamniotic.org is certainly the best source of information and support on the internet.

Good luck and if I can help let me know

11. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

Hi I tried to post earlier and it just quoted someone elses post sorry about that. In any case I'm pregnant with mono twins now 16 weeks. My doc was pretty adamanet about having a csection because of the high risk of cord compression with babies just sounded very dangerous. But you mentioned you have a long healthy history so best to discuss with your dr. as you are planning on doing. Best of Luck to you. :rolleyes:

12. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Unfortunately a section is the absolute safest way to deliver your babies. Even with a vaginal delivery you are still risking infection. I know it's a scary thought for you but try to relax and trust your docs. If you're not comfortable with them at any point then switch.

FWIW, we were told momos until just over 10wks. They turned out to be mono/di afterall. Best of luck!

13. maeghanalyson

well they found the membrane today at the u/s! they are sharing a placenta though so I guess that makes them mono/di twins? he couldnt get a picture of the membrane and he said he only saw it for a sec. but he swears its there so YAY!!

14. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

That is GREAT news! Congratulations! :clapping:

15. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Absolutely, positively, the most fantastic news I've heard all day!!!!! And yep, mono/di :)

16. kbrown5199

kbrown5199 Member

That is such GREAT news!!!! We're still waiting to see if we can find a membrane. I'm hopeful! I'm SO happy for you! Now you can relax and enjoy your twin pregnancy!!