Nice movies or shows for younger kids

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MeldieB, Feb 15, 2010.

1. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

My girls have watched all the Disney princess movies (and lots others). They do love them. But recently, Bella has become fearful of "bad guys" and "someone taking me" and "scary guys coming into the house" etc etc. Since this fearful phase began, I have started eliminating some of the things I think might be triggers. Movies, for example. I think that maybe she has just reached an age that she can understand the movies better and so gets frightened by some of the content.

I have allowed them to watch Dora and Diego and Little Einsteins, as those movies don't really have "bad guys". The plot in those types of movies is more about solving a problem than in defeating a "bad guy". So I was wondering if there are any other shows or movies that you TS girls would recommend? Nicer movies. No bad guys. Solving a problem instead. The girls have gotten tired of our current limited collection of movies to watch. We don't watch TV at all -- only because I don't like them watching commercials, so I would have to be able to purchase a DVD movie.

TIA!

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Do they have any Leapfrog DVDs? My girls like "Talking Word Factory" and "Talking Word Factory 2: Code Word Caper". They also like "Math Circus".

3. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

How about the Curious George movie? There is absolutely nothing scary in it, it's very gentle, and the soundtrack by Jack Johnson is great.
    We still watch a lot of Wonder Pets and the Backyardigans, which the girls have decided they like again. They also like Ni Hao, Kai Lan, which often talks about how to handle feelings and problems, like what to do when a friend won't share, how do you handle jealousy.
    The girls like the Strawberry Shortcake DVD's, but OMG they drive me up the wall.

We also like The Sound of Music, but it is long, so we usually just watch from where Maria meets the children, until the wedding. We can skip running away from the Nazis for now!

Oh, thought of another thing. There's these DVD's that come with Little People toys. I made the mistake of trying it out for Caleb, and the girls like them. They really aren't that bad, but are kind of annoying. I don't know why on earth they like them, it seems too young for them, but they are harmless.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Actually when the take George and put him in the crate both of my girls started bawling. I love the movie and soundtrack, but that part was really scary to my girls.

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I thought of that right after I posted. You never know what might upset them. There's a Diego with a rat who steals a flute, and they just cannot take that one, we have to turn it off. They don't like the witch in the Halloween Dora either.

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls sometimes cry when they see the bobo monkeys on Diego. I have no idea why.

7. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has little girls who ADORE the movie 'Milo & Otis'. I bought one copy as a gift for a little girl and ended up buying a copy for our family (it was only $5 at Target). This movie is just fantastic! It's a story of a puppy and kitten who become friends and have a big adventure. It is real footage of all types of animals with narration. My boys were glued! It is sweet and gentle and very entertaining to younger children. You DO see a live birth of a kitten. I thought it was lovely and that didn't bother me at all, but some parent's might be sensitive to that, I suppose......

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My kids seem comfortable with most of the Nick ones (Dora, Diego, Yo Gabba Gabba, Kai Lan, Blue's Clues, etc). Also ditto on the LeapFrog ones -- huge hit in our house. Sid the Science Kid (PBS Kids) is great too. And, I know Caillou drives a lot of people straight up the wall, but they are very gentle.

My kids were and still are terrified of Milo & Otis. They didn't mind the birth of the kitten at all, but the kitten (I can never remember which is Milo & which is Otis :ibiggrin: ) gets swept down the river about 20 minutes into the movie and the whole rest of the movie is about the dog trying to rescue him. I had to zip through the whole thing on fast-forward to prove to them that the kitten was OK in the end, and they still refused to watch it again. Which just goes to show that nothing is truly a sure thing, I guess. I thought it was adorable. :unknw:

9. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We stick with Little Einsteins, Thomas the Train, Dora, Diego and Curious George. Oh, and every now and then Handy Manny. Those are the favorites. I have a few Disney movies on DVR (Mulan, Pocahantas, Mulan II, Tinkerbell), but they definately have scary parts that I don't like them watching. I can tell when those scenes come on it affects them. It drives me nuts that they feel the need to put those kind of scences in kids movies! :aggressive:

10. harryjacksmom

harryjacksmom Well-Known Member

I have boys who also don't like the scary stuff, and I like to avoid bratty behaivors/talk. They are sort of getting more into the scary things, mostly peer pressure. They watched Finding Nemo (if you start it at the going to school scene) you avoid the mother dying, but you still have to skip the sharks....hmmm.

As for Curious George, what about buying the sets of the PBS show? My boys love CG, and watch it every.single.day. Little Bear is also pretty mild. Max and Ruby is a big favorite here. Arthur and Caillou send both of mine into whiney, mean fits, so they are avoided at all costs unless they promise not to copy.

PBS is my favorite, as there are only commercials before/after show. I love Tivo, since it means my kids really never saw any commercials until just recently (or if we were traveling). Commercials scare me ;)
    GL!

11. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Has anyone seen Kiki's Delivery Service or My Neighbor Totoro? I was wondering if those would be gentle enough ....

12. brlowe

brlowe Well-Known Member

My girls love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and those aren't scary at all. They also have a Winnie the Pooh Counting dvd that they like and it isn't scary either. If you like Christian videos, there are several out there. Veggie Tales is great and there's another one that has a monster truck (I can't remember the name of it right now.)

13. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We do a lot of Playhouse Disney shows. I DVR them, but even if you catch them live, there are no commercials during the episodes. Before and after an episode, there are commercials for other Disney shows, no products.

The current favorites are: Little Einsteins, Imagination Movers, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (all Disney shows), Sesame Street, Thomas the Tank and Barney (all PBS shows).

I remember Minette did a post awhile back asking for movie recommendations that aren't scary. You might find some ideas in her post too. It seemed like all kid movies have scary scenes!

14. Lvdargan

Lvdargan Well-Known Member

Leap frog videos are the best!! We have them all.

Ditto in Imagination Movers and we love Word World. I find DVDs of several episodes at the library.

My kids get scared during movies as well, ,but they both really liked the cartoon version of Charlottes Web.

15. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Mine do that too! :crazy:

Imagination Movers is huge here. UmiZoomi or something like that, The Fresh Beat Band, Wonder Pets, Yo Gabba Gabba (but they kind of freak me out a little)

16. harryjacksmom

harryjacksmom Well-Known Member

I *know* - what's up with that? One of mine was particularly bothered by lighting for a while and it seemed like every.single.movie has a storm scene :unknw:

Thanx for all the great ideas - I'm going to search back for that earlier post :Clap:

I know that Little People has been mentioned - they have a set of b/g twins :wub:

17. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

Yes I second the Sesame Street and Elmo DVDs, although my girls seem to prefer the Disney films at the moment, I keep thinking "Sit around moping, waiting for a handsome man to whisk you away..." What sort of message am I sending them?

The Princess Stories seem OK and we've only got one of them.

We also watch The Backyardigans and will probably get some more.

Educational DVDs are good are great! They learn Mandarin at school so we have some DVDs called "Baby learns Chinese" which they seem to enjoy.