Where do you buy your kids clothes from?

Discussion in 'General' started by brlowe, Feb 15, 2010.

1. brlowe

brlowe Well-Known Member

I love Gymboree's stuff, but can't bring myself to fork out that kind of money for their clothes. I have a friend who buys nothing but Gymboree for her 3 kids and I have another friend who only shops at Wal-Mart. I do buy a lot of their stuff from consignment sales/stores. I was just curious where other parents get their kids clothes from.

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mostly The Children's Place, Target, and Kohls.

3. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Gymboree's not expensive if you shop the sales and play all their little sale games. Use Gymbucks, buy ahead for next year at their twice-yearly clearance sales, use the 20% coupons. I would never pay full price for Gymboree, but that's primarily what my kids wear. But the days of adorable matchy outfits are gone, now that the girls pick out their own clothes.
    I pay about the same for Gymboree as I do Target clothes. I also shop at The Children's Place, also shopping their clearance sales, and Hanna Andersson (again, clearance only), some WalMart thrown in, The Disney Store (they have great sales on character shirts and pj's, if you permit that sort of thing).

4. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

My philospophy on buying ANYTHING is...I don't buy it unless it is on sale or at Walmart or Target...and if it is on sale AT Walmart or Target that is even better!! This goes for household items, kitchen items, clothes, furniture, bedding, electronics, books, ANYTHING!!

I do buy MOST of thier clothes from Walmart and Target! I also like Sears, J C Penney's, Kohl's, and Kmart. I do shop at Children's Place and Gymboree but only if they are having a good sale!! I also like Kid-to-Kid (consignment store) and DI (Deseret Industries---LDS run thrift store)...although I cannot find as much there for my boys as I can my little girl. They have more for little ones (under about size 3 or 4).

As I was saying before, I do shop at Gymboree, but ONLY if I can earn or redeem Gymbucks! I ONLY shop on the sale rack and I will ONLY spend less than $10 on any one item!! If it is more than that I don't need it! But I have gone in to earn or redeem GB and gotten $250-300 worth of clothes and only spent $30-50!! It's GREAT!!

You just have to be willing to buy LAST season's styles and patterns. And frankly I don't care when it came out as long as it fits and matches. :) I am a bit of a fashionista...so things DO have to match with colors and pattens, but I will mix Gym with CP, or CP with Target as long as they don't clash! :D

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Children's Place, Target, Gymboree during the sales, outlets (Carters, OshKosh, and Gap).

6. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Either consignment or Walmart for all play clothes. Each season, Walmart has those tables where everything is $3.50. They last the whole season and often into the next year. I've never had anything wear out before they outgrew it. For nicer clothes (church, etc.) I do consignment (you'd be amazed at what you can find!), sometimes Walmart, or maybe Kohl's if they have a good sale. I will admit that I am blessed by having a mom who loves to buy the kids clothes and friends who give me hand-me-downs, too. So, my clothing budget is next to nothing.

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I get a lot of stuff from Old Navy and Target (especially the clearance section), and I have scored some great deals on lots of boys clothes on eBay.

8. missmomoftwins02

I also buy ahead ALOT for Meagan...not as much for the boys. I also love Gym's coupons!! And CP also has GREAT coupons!! You can sign up for CP's emails and get bday coupons for yourself and your kids (15% off for each of you for your bday)...so that helps too!!

On buying ahead...Target has AWESOME sales going on right now! I bought Megan a dress a couple weeks ago in size 4T for $2.50!! DH was confused as to why I bought her something she cannot wear for 3 years. I told him I would rather pay $2.50 now than spend $10-12 (normal price...it was 75 or 80% off!) when she gets to be that size!

I have bought her several 3T dresses also...ALL of them for $3 or less!! Walmart also has thier Christmas dresses on sale right now and I bought her 2 dresses last week (in 3T) for $3 each! She can't wear them until Christmas after next but hey...now she has a couple beautiful Christmas dresses and I didn't have to pay the $15 regular price for them!!

9. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I do Target, Kohl's and Children's Place for play clothes, mostly. JCPenney, too.

I do shop at Gymboree and Hanna occasionally, and for portraits or once in awhile, I like Janie & Jack (Gymboree's higher-end store) and some boutique lines such as Matilda Jane.

I used to buy a lot of past-season legging-and-swing-top Gymboree outfits on Ebay for Nadia, because she was hard to fit as a toddler (very tall and slim), and those worked so well. I bought new, but I paid a lot less than store prices.

Kevan & Karina are more typically proportioned, so I can shop nearly anywhere for them.

10. missmomoftwins02

I LOVE Walmart's Garanimal's line and they also have a Healthtex line that is awesome! Those close last FOREVER!!!! I got Megan some Healthtex pants (two 24mo, a 3T, and 4T) for $2 each on the sale rack! Mom said she got me HT as a kid and they are some of the sturdiest kids clothes ever made!!

As for clothes wearing out:
    FYI...Sears has a program (KidVantage) where if you buy kids clothes and they wear it out before they outgrow it they will replace it for FREE! You just have to have the receipt. They also give you a 15% off coupon for every %100 in kids clothes you buy!! This includes shoes! And even grandparents can sign up so clothes they buy for your kids are included!

As for Kohl's:
    I LOVE thier sales! Especially on Pajamas at the holidays!! I get my kids new pajamas every Christmas and I got the BeSt deal on PJ's this past year!! I also like thier Kohl's Kash (spend $50 and get $10 in KK to spend on anything in the store)!

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='15 February 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1266262781' post='1580713']I get a lot of stuff from Old Navy and Target (especially the clearance section), and I have scored some great deals on lots of boys clothes on eBay.[/quote]
    I do get some stuff at ON too...but do most of my ON shopping online when they have thier free shipping!

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mostly consignment, Target, Ross, Marshalls, and Kohl's. I love the way Children's place stuff fits my kids, and will buy it and other nicer stuff if on sale. Thankfully I live not even a mile from a very large outlet mall that has Old Navy, Carters, Osh-Kosh, so I get their shoes and some nicer stuff there.

Aside from really dressy things, I never spend more than $7.00 on an article of clothes. No more than $4.00 for a t-shirt.

In fact, yesterday I was at Marshall's and neither kid has a medium weight jacket, just heavy parkas and sweatshirts, and they actually had two puffy jackets in 3T, blue and pink. Royce's was $15 for a blue Polo-Ralph Lauren and Alice's was $2.50 because it had paint on it and I asked the manager to knock it even lower than the $10.

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I :wub: Gap clothes for them, Target, Kohl's, Old Navy... those are the main places. :good:

13. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Target, I always throw in a pair of pants or a top when I'm at Wal Mart, Children's Place, and the outlets - Carters, Osh Kosh, Gymboree, Gap.

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is pretty much where I get all the kids clothes too, well the twins at least. :good:

15. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Mostly Gap, Old Navy, Childrens Place and some Target or Kohls too. This is mostly because with the girls, they have very small waists, but need length and these brands seem to fit them the best. They also last very long, where as when I buy something from Walmart, in a wash or two, it's got holes or is stretched out. For my older girls I will also buy Justice and Abercrombie too. I will usually only buy when there is a sale or I have a percentage off. I love my Gap card, as every Tuesday, I get a discount. I love me some discounts!

16. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I try to avoid buying them clothes. We get stuff from freecycle (like their winter jackets this year) and friends. Also, my father's MIL works at a Goodwill and gets first dips on stuff. We get all of their shorts, sweatshirts and t-shirts from her. I do have to buy jeans/pants because boys this age always blow out the knees before they can be handed down. I stick with Old Navy and wait for the $7/pair sale. The only thing I always buy new are underwear, socks and shoes.

17. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

We mainly shop at Children's Place. I shop whenever they are having their monster sales - two weeks ago I bought 4 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, and 2 newsboy caps for $23! I am constantly getting 15% and 20% off coupons for there. I also buy a season ahead, so when all their winter clothes go on sale I buy the sizes I think the boys will be in for the coming up winter!

Love Gymboree, but very expensive! I wait until they have a mega sale and then get a few items. I found some cute monkey sweaters for $1.99 each.

Those are the only two places right now, but as they get older I am sure there will be more!

18. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

We buy Gymboree for the most part. I only buy it on sale and usually pay $5 for the girls' leggings and around that for the tops. I'll go up to $10 if I really love a dress they have on sale. They wear mostly leggings for bottoms since they actually fit. My girls are very slim and I have a hard time finding other pants that fit them right. The nice thing about buying Gymboree is that I can recoup a lot of my costs by selling their outgrown clothes through craigslist. Gymboree is very sought after on my local CL site.

19. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are little right now (about to go into 9 months clothes) but I have an addiction. It's called Carter's. I never buy it full price, but I went to Sear's yesterday & they had 40% off their clearance, so each baby got an sleeper for like $2.50. This is rare, though, as 98% of what I buy is at a yard sale (in the ritzy part of town) or Goodwill (also the ritzy part of town). Last year I got all of their clothes up to 6 months, but sizes as high as 4T. I've got BOXES of clothes separated by size in their closets. Whenever they get close to needing the next size, I pull out the box, & throw it in the washer.

20. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I need to go shopping with Christa. :) I had totally forgotten about the Kid Vantage rule about clothes wearing out.

I go to Carter's, Burlington Coat Factory, Sears, JC Penny's, and KMart. My mom gets them lots of Walmart and Kmart clothes since that's all they have in her town. I think I like the Carter's fit and style the best. I've also gotten a bunch of hand me downs for the boys from my Mom's coworker and my brother's girlfriend.

21. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

From what I have seen of it Targets range of clothes seem very good value and decent quality and they do have some lovely things.

22. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine pretty much wear Gymboree (mostly the girls), Gap, Old Navy and Target. Gymboree is as cheap as the others if you work the sales. Check out www.gymbofriends.com to learn more about the upcoming sales, etc. They also have a section for just about every other kids' clothing store. People exchange coupons, etc. too!

23. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I am so frugal it is embarrassing! Near my work there is a great thrift store. It is really big with really great stuff. I would say 95% of all our clothes come from there. They are mostly all name brands but they are super duper cheap. I LOVE Hanna Andersen clothes for Joy and just can not bring myself to buy them. I have made out with some great Hanna play dresses there for about $5. Love it!

24. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I had no idea that J&J was owned by Gymboree!! No wonder I like their clothes.
    It depends on what I'm shopping for. I do a lot of shopping at the carters, ogb, gymboree outlet stores. I also hit up as many sales as I can and LOVE the clearance sections. I also love Macy's, and the Childrens Place especially CP online. I also do a lot of shopping at Old Navy online they usually have free shipping or 5$ shipping.
    I buy most of their special occasion stuff at Janie and Jack, the Pumpkin Patch or a couple small boutique type places in town.
    I love clothes shopping so there are very few places that I don't shop at.
    My poor dh. LOL :laughing:

25. horizon250

horizon250 Well-Known Member

I like the children's place, gap, carters. My MIL buys them things from Marshall's and Kohl's. That's pretty much it right now but I also shop the monster sales at children's place and clearance at Gap. I used to shop at babies r us but they've outgrown it.

26. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

You're quite the boyfriend if you are already looking in the children's clothes section of Target! I don't think my DH has ever gone in the kid's section, unless I've dragged him in there with me. :D

27. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

Last time I was out at Jenny's we walked through the clothes section to get to the Diapers, but some of the stuff is just brilliant, I had to stop myself buying lots of pink things for Emma >_<

28. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

My favs: Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree, Hanna Andersson, Zutano. With sales, ebay or resale you can get great deals, you just have to look for/wait for them

I loved Carters when they were tiny. I haven't had good luck with Target, they have a lot of cute stuff at good prices but it shrinks more than average.

29. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Old Navy, Target, consignment, and TJMaxx, in that order.

LOVE Old Navy for boys everyday wear, esp. when they run their 50%off clearance sales. I walk out with the really big bags (plural) then. And for fancy schmantzy stuff I love TJMaxx. Great prices on stuff I wouldn't ever pay dept. store prices for.

I rarely buy any of their clothes at full price. No reason to. :pardon: :pardon:

Eve

30. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I found a lot of Lilly Pulitzer and Vineyard Vines at TJMaxx last year for the girls! I was so excited :)

31. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

Consignment, yard sales and hand-me-downs.

32. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

We have very limited shopping where I live so almost all of my boys clothes come from Kohl's. I can find awesome deals and stuff on clearance. I buy all their jeans at Old Navy at the beginning of the school year when they are crazy cheap (2 for $15, I think). We don't even have a Target, so that's out. I sometimes find cute things for my baby girl at Wal-Mart, and often pick up things at Sam's Club - no Costco here, either. When I go into Salt Lake for my oldest son's doctor appointments (2 hours away), I make a point of stopping at Baby/Kid Gap. That's my all time favorite place for kids clothes, especially for my baby girl! I do get some things at Gymboree for her, but I get kinda bugged by the matchy-matchy Gymboree look..... and I hardly ever pick up anything for my boys past the age of 2 from there! On a sidenote, I just saw that Gymboree is now going to carry boys clothes up to size 12. I cannot imagine ANY of my boys being willing to wear Gymboree besides my toddler! I just thought it was funny!

33. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I only buy boys' jeans on sale at Sears. I buy the toughskins, double-kneed jeans, when they're $9.99 or less. And every 6 weeks or so, I take them back and get new ones for free. They've never asked me for a receipt. You just have to get the same brand and size. But there have been times when they didn't have the size in that brand, so they've let me get something else. However, my boys blow through the knees of other jeans in even less time. I've heard they also let you do the exchanges on shoes, but only particular brands.

Other clothes, I buy at most of the less-expensive places mentioned, and pretty much only on sale.

34. missmomoftwins02

Thanks for the site! I am looking into it!! :D

You can get clothes at BRU up to size 48mo/4T. Yours are only 1 1/2...so you should be able to find stuff there for a while longer! :)

You are only about 45 minutes from Layton...you should come down here to shop!! I will show you where all the COOL places are! :D We have a little bit of everything here. That and we could meet for lunch and hang out! :friends:

35. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

When The Childrens Place has a good sale where it is an additional 40% off a sale item, you cannot beat that anywhere. I also like Walmart and Target. I also like Old Navy. The girls like Justice but I think it is so expensive for something they are going to grow right out of. Kohls is alright but only if there is a sale. Gymboree was great when they were younger but I think they are growing out of that line.