What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Our 7th grade language arts teachers do this book every year and then follow it up with either a movie or one year we were able to take our students to see a live play about it...it's great.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Anxiously awaiting Handle With Care - my mom is finishing it up and giving it to me. In the meantime I'm reading Envy by Sandra Brown - I have a pile of books that my mom has given me as she reads them and when I'm between books I *really* want to read, I grab one from the pile. :)

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am reading The Starter Wife. One of those books I've been meaning to read but haven't got around to.

4. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I started Portia De Rossi's Unbearable Lightness last night, it is really good so far!

5. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Finished Posers and really like it. Inspired me to look into starting a yoga class, something I've wanted to do for ages.

I am going to re-read Steven's book with some other fans, but simultaneously want to start something new. I'm thinking Scot Weiland's book might now be out. Must go research.

If not, I need a good book to dive into!

6. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

Sara Gruen has a new book, called Ape House. It's pretty good.
    One book that I resisted reading, that I now love is Have a little faith by Mitch Albom
    I've been reading a lot of a series by Jim Butcher, called the dresden files. It's about a private investigator who's a wizard, and also a bit of a smart-$$%. I really enjoy them, and they're easy to read -- very fast-moving. Unfortunately, the library doesn't always have the next in the series, so I've been reading them out of order. You miss some character devlopment, but....
    A great book, the first in a trilogy or a series, is one by Deborah Harkness called A Discovery of Witches.
    I use this list for ideas for the next book for our book club to read, so thanks, everyone!

Also, if you like yoga, Tales From A Yoga studio by Rain Mitchell.

7. Utopia122

Now that would be one interesting read! Love, love, love his music!

8. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Had to jump in because I went through a lull for a while and didn't get sucked in by any books, but I recently read - Night Road by Kristin Hannah, The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain, Left Neglected by Julie Ortolon, House Rules by Picoult, and Inconceivable about the IVF mistake - and have enjoyed them all!

9. jjzollman

I'm almost finished with Jodi Picoult's Handle With Care. I just finished Harlan Coben's Play Dead. I really enjoy his books, they put a spin on the typical murder/detective/mystery type novels.

Handle With Care - Excellent! Once I finish, I'm going to start a thread about it just to see what others thought of it. Every night I want to talk in detail about the story to my DH (who hasn't read it and would have no clue what I'm talking about!), but I don't! :laughing:

10. jjzollman

Finished Handle With Care by Picoult. Just finished Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult (really great book, but not very "happy" - but not many of her books are). Started reading Salem Falls by Picoult. Went to the library with the kids and just grabbed a few by her. :)

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I read that one & really enjoyed it. I have liked almost all of the Jodi Picoult books that I have read. I just finished her newest, Sing You Home, which is about infertility, gay rights, and Evangelical Christians, and I thought it was really good, too.

12. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I love her! Agree with your thought on that book You need to read 19 minutes. It is a must read for teachers and parents! eta...and high school students should also read this!

1 person likes this.
  13. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Loved 19 Minutes, too.

14. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Loved that one!! I've read most of her books and they are all really good. Another one that I really liked of hers was Perfect Match.

Right now I'm reading If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster. It's her first fiction book and I love it.

15. Utopia122

I am just finishing up Murder Melts in Your Mouth...I like it. Not the best book I've ever read, but enjoyable nonetheless.

16. jjzollman

Thanks for the feedback! I just finished Songs of the Humpback Whale and Salem Falls. Went to the library today and checked out three more of her books: The Pact, Harvesting the Heart, and Plain Truth.

I'm on a Picoult kick, I guess. Will have to look for Nineteen Minutes, they didn't have it today.

17. moski

Now I'm reading Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. I really liked her last book (Still Alice) so I'm hoping this one is as good.

18. kingeomer

I've read the Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown-it was okay
    The Properties of Water by Ann Hood -don't bother, the book went nowhere
    And right now I am reading Some Assembly Required by Lynn Kiele Bonasia, so far it's okay

I am waiting for jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why to come in at the library, can't wait to read that one.

19. moski

I read Summer Shift by this author. It was good.

20. Utopia122

Just started River of Heaven by Lee Martin. Just a random book I picked off the shelf, pretty good so far.I really know nothing about it exept the person telling the story is 60, lives alone, and is gay and none of his neighbors know. Apparently there was some sort of tragedy in his life that makes him just not want to get involved with anyone around him.

21. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

just started Clash of Kings, #2 in the Game of Thrones series...looking forward to some quality reading time this weekend.

22. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Sarah's Key- Excellent, highly recommend it

I am a bit of a supernatural freak and am on book 16 of the Anita Blake Vampire series

23. jjzollman

Just bought a bunch of new books from B&N with my giftcard, can't wait to get them! A lot of them were on clearance for 1.99-2.99, but all had good reviews. :)

Anyone read any of these?

Dismantled
    Seven Year Switch
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Beach House
    Everyone She Loved
    Forty Words for Sorrow
    Real Life and Liars
    Postcards from a Dead Girl
    Necessary Arrangements

24. kingeomer

I did read Beach House (did you get the one by Jane Green?) and I liked it. It's a light summer read type of book. The other books you listed I have not read.

25. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't wait to see what you think of this. I read this while I was in Italy.

I finished reading Something Borrowed and Something Blue. I have recently started The Secret Life of Bees.

26. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I am still haunted by Still Alice and I read it over a year ago. I must get this new book! Thanks for the link :)

27. kingeomer

I finished Some Assembly Required and I really liked it.
    Right now I am finally reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, one of the books I've been meaning to read but had not gotten around to it.

28. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children- epbot.com just did a review loving it (she is the girl behind cakewrecks)

I'm reading Insatiable by Meg Cabot. She is primarily a YA author (Princess Diaries) but this is grown up (well, there are some sex scenes) Really enjoying it.

29. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I just finished Buzz Bernard's Eyewall, a novel about a Cat 5 hurricane which takes out St. Simon's Island in Georgia. Also a biography of Mickey Mantle and plenty of history books which I'm not sure the rest of you would be too interested in. Will be starting a biography of George Wallace (the segregationist, not the comedian) shortly called Politics of Rage

30. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished Tick tock by James Patterson. Not sure what book I'm going to start next.

31. jjzollman

Just finished Picoult's The Pact (heartbreaking). Halfway through Picoult's Plain Truth.

32. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am about half way through A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. It's pretty good, but for a novel with a vampire as a main character she sure does spend a lot of time talking, in great detail, about food. I think maybe she really wants to be a food critic. ;)

33. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Loved both of these.

34. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've started A Dance with Dragons book five in the Fire and Ice series. It didn't take me nearly as long to get suckered, 41 pages to be exact. The other books have started slower.

35. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just got the email that mine is on the way - although, I still have to read books 3 & 4 first. :good: