What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I also just finished The Pact, great book! And just started Plain Truth :)

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

That's so funny, what are the chances of that!! I'm about 3/4 through with Plain Truth - I'm really enjoying it too.

Next up is her book, Harvesting the Heart. My mom just read it and really liked it, so I'm looking forward to that read.

Then I'll move on from Picoult for awhile, I have a bunch of books waiting for me (The Help, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, The Island (Elin Hilderbrand))! I have to get moving, only 4 more weeks until school starts! :(

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Finishing up the Hunger Games trilogy (loved them!) and my next book will be The Map of Time.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished a whole bunch of bargain books I got from Chapters. Man, there is some seriously bad writing out there.

One good one was the Woefield Poultry Collective .. a fun read about a woman inheriting land and turning into a sustainable farm. There was really good character development in it.

5. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth Amazon link to Divergent and if you liked the Hunger Games then you will probably be blown out of the water with this one. This was suggested to me on FB from one of my fan pages and I am glad I got it on my Kindle. It is a trilogy and the next book comes out in the spring of 2012 I guess, which will be a LONG wait and I hope it is a amazing as this book was.

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

7. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I just started 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus...it's great so far...

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Since I last posted, I've read :
    Dance With Dragons
    Re-read of Dracula
    The Omnivore's Dilemma
    I just started the The Secret Series on the recommendation of my 9 year old godson. It's pretty good so far!

9. moski

10. jjzollman

Finished Harvesting the Heart by Picoult, finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (REALLY good, unique too!), and am about done with The Help. Not sure which book I'm going to pick next! :)

11. moski

You are on fire!!!

12. jjzollman

:laughing:

I've got to cram as much in as possible before I go back to school on Tuesday. :cry:

13. jjzollman

Just finished The Help (LOVED IT!) and started Claire Cook's The Seven Year Switch.

14. Mama_Kim

For anyone who enjoys time travel themes, The Map of Time was really good! Enjoyable.

15. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I hace finaly started A Game of Thrones. LOVE it so far. I'm almost done and have the first 4 books on my Nook so I will jump right into the next one when I finish this one.

16. Mama_Kim

I discovered one thing while on vacation. I HATE reading books on my iPad. Hate it. Somehow I just don't feel as if I am really reading and it is hard for me to stay focused on it. Ugh.

17. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Me too. While on vacation I actually bought the REAL book of a book I was reading on my iPad and zipped right through it. I guess I'm just an old fashioned kind of girl.

18. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Let's see. . .

I finished Dances with Dragons and have reread the first three books of the Fire and Ice Series (Game of Thrones.)

I plan on re-reading #4 and #5 too.

I'm also reading The Walking Dead comic book (I bought the graphic novel of the first 48 comic books) and started a new series, the Vlad Taltos books, the first one, the Book of Jhereg. Sucked me in with the first chapter.

19. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I'm halfway trough "The Help". So far its great .. I really want to go see the movie, but I want to finish the book first !

20. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Just finished Kelly armstrong's Spellbound. I too hate reading books that aren't really books

21. Mama_Kim

I've just started Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand. It's pretty good so far.

22. moski

I have that on hold at the library. Can't wait for it. I love her books.

I'm reading Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis. It's good so far. For those that are Jen Lancaster fans, she's the Stacey that she's always referring to in her books.

23. jjzollman

Just finished Seven Year Switch by Claire Cook - really good, light, and quick read!

Halfway through Everyone She Loved by Sheila Curran - also a really good book!

24. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Really loving LEFT Neglected by Lisa Genova...it's quite witty...I can't remeber who recommended it, but thank you!

25. Mama_Kim

I really liked it. I usually love her books anyway. This was very good. Easy read.

I am now starting The Paris Wife by Paula McLain.

26. moski

27. Mama_Kim

Let me know if you liked it, Maureen. I usually like her books as well.

28. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Reading One Day, which is a new movie with Anne Hathaway. Really good so far. About the evolution of a 20 year relationship, looking at only one day in their lives each year starting in 1988. Very interesting premise.

29. Mama_Kim

That sounds interesting, Rachael. Please report back when you're finished.

30. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished that a couple weeks ago. I really loved the way the story was told and thought the characters were very realistically flawed. I never really got why she was ever so hung up on Dex though, but that's just me. For a novel about a relationship I thought it was very good.

31. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I have to read 7 novels for my masters class that are middle school or high school age appropriate. They all have to be award winners. I just finished Finding Alaska and now I'm on Fever of 1793.

ETA: Just finished Fever of 1793....fantastic historical fiction novel!! Did not know about the yellow fever epidemic of Philadelphia in 1793, but wow, was it terrible! Great, great novel about a young girl and her life during this terrible time. At the end is provided some excellent history facts and discussions of many of the historical individuals mentioned in the book.

32. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

ooooh, Utopia, who else are you reading? and who wrote Fever of 1973? That sounds familiar. Is that LHA? Have you read any John Green. He's AMAZING. I don't know if it won any awards but I read Janice Hardy's books The Shifter and the sequel, Blue Fire. The thrid book in the trilogy comes out in Oct I believe. I LOVE Courtney Summer's books. Some Girls Are is INCREDIBLE. Also, if you have yet read Maggie Stiefvater's books (Shiver, Linger, Forever), you should check those out. For fantasy-Graceling is FANTASTIC!! If you need any other suggestions, let me know. I mostly read YA, but I read some MG here and there.

Just read, Siren by Tricia Rayburn, Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz and now I'm reading Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.

33. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I finished the first 4 books of the The Secret Series
    Right now I am in the middle of The Hangman's Daughter-it takes place in Germany in the 1600's and focuses on a town Hangman and a doctor trying to prove a midwife innocent of accusations of murder and witchcraft. It's really good.
    Next up, I haveAn Idiot Abroad-the travel diaries of Karl Pilkington.

34. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Yes, Laurie Halse Anderson, it was written in 2000 so not a new book. I'm reading The True Meaning of Smekday now and there's like a whole website devoted to this fictional alien nation. It was just named this year as an award winner, so it's a new book, but I can see it as a boys favorite for sure.

35. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Is that MG? How are you finding the story/writing? Is it written in first person or third? Does it have a good voice and pacing?