What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Adam Rex is the author. I'm actually listening to it, it's first person and I honestly find the narrator a little annoying. Haven't gotten very far, only chapter 2, I'll update when I've "read" a little more.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Just finished Everyone She Loved by Sheila Curran.

About 150 pages into Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon - really, really good. http://www.jennifer-mcmahon.com/dismantled_78494.htm

3. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Finished Vampire Academy-soooooooo good! Now I'm starting The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

4. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Just started Starman by David Bowie.

5. jjzollman

Wow, Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon was REALLY good!

6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I just downloaded this one based on this thread. Can't wait to start it!

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

One Day was fabulous. Really great relationship story with interesting "child of the 80s," "idealist young people growing up" tones. I laughed and cried and felt like smacking each of the characters at times, but ultimately loved them both.

8. jjzollman

I hope you enjoy it! It was intriguing and a really quick read for me!

9. Mama_Kim

Thanks for the review, Rachael. It does sound quite good.

10. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I finished this one last week. Great book. I read "Don't breathe a word" first and now just want to read all of her novels.

I read Never let you go by Erin Healy
    over the weekend and it was a good story and a quick read.

I'm picking up two more Jennifer Mcmahon titles at the library this week.

This is a great thread! I've gotten so many great suggestions from it.

11. Mama_Kim

Just picked up State of Wonder by Anne Patchett but haven't delved in yet. Looks good though.

12. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

Finished State of Wonder a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'd tried to read Bel Canto when it first came out and couldn't get into it. After I finished State of Wonder, I felt like I could appreciate Ann Patchett's writing style a little more and so went back and read Bel Canto. I really enjoyed it the second time I tried it. Then I read Patron Saint of Liars and also enjoyed that one. Ann Patchett has a definite writing style that was fairly consistent across the three books, so if you like one of them, you would probably like the others. I don't know if it was because I read it first, but I did like State of Wonder best.

13. Utopia122

The Particular Saddness of a Lemon Cake is what I am reading at the moment.....but I can not wait to get my hands on Charles and Emma: The Darwin's Leap of Faith. Haven't read a non-fiction piece in a while and it should be good!

14. Mama_Kim

Thanks for the review. I appreciate it! I'll let you know how I like it.

15. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm reading The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory. Pretty good so far, it is the second book of her Cousin's War Series (novels that take place during the War of the Roses...the first one was The White Queen featuring Elizabeth Woodville-Henry the 8th's maternal grandmother). This one features Margaret Beaufort (Henry the 8th's paternal grandmother).

16. double-or-nothing

I just read one of the most amazing YA contemp books called The Sky is Everywhere. Beautifully written story about a girl dealing w/the death of her sister. I laughed, I cried, I swooned, and I laughed and cried some more. SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD! If you like YA, this one is a real winner.

Now starting on Looking for Alaska by John Green. It's a Printz Award book and another one of those books that I've only heard amazing things about.

Oh, and I also recommend Anna and the French Kiss (not quite what it sounds). Another one of the most amazing YA contemp books I've read. If you love Paris as a setting, you'll really enjoy this one.

17. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I love Ann Patchett's writing. One of my favorites is Truth and Beauty,about her friendship with another author Lucy Grealy.

Right now I'm just starting Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. Seems very interesting so far.

Oh and I just started reading my little ladies Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Roald Dahl)! Love his story telling!!!

18. Utopia122

I tried to find Girl in Translation at the local library but they didn't have it. Update when you are finishe

19. Utopia122

I finished Looking for Alaska ( I'm pretty sure I called it Finding Alaska which has been stuck in my head for some reason) about two weeks or so ago. Not too bad, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I could definitely see high school students liking it though.

20. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I broke down and started the Game of Thrones series and I love it! I don't think I will be getting anything else done for awhile.

21. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I have to admit I enjoy YA books from time to time. After reading Water for Elephants I was lost as to what to read, so when I saw your post about Vampire Academy it reminded me about other people telling me they were a good read. I downloaded it to my Kindle on 9/7/11 and about two hours ago I finished the 2nd book in the series so I had to get the 3rd book because now I am hooked. The funny thing is I thought I would be reading all six books over several months and at this rate I may have them done in about two months. Thanks for mentioning it here and reminding me about the series.

22. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just finished Night Road by Kristin Hannah. Absolutely loved it.

I am now reading Room by Emma Donoghue. Has anyone read this?

23. double-or-nothing

Yay! I really LOVED Rose's voice. She is a bad-a$$, a$$ kicking MC and I love that. She's tough, snarky, and beautiful, yet she's vulnerable as well. I love that balance. I've heard 2 is good, but that 3 is REALLY good. I want to read them so badly, but I have to finish the other books I took out from the library, then I'll get that one. I'm also insanely stocked up on books I purchased at a library sale and from hitting Borders a few times before they closed. I think I bought like 30 books! So much greatness, so little time. sigh.

Also, does anyone here belong to Goodreads? It's such a great way to track the books you've read, are reading and want to read and to connect w/other lovers of literature. I use it a lot to get recs and stay up to date with what's coming out.

24. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Rachelle meads adult books are good too. I also enjoy the house of night series by pc and Kristen cast

25. double-or-nothing

I have the House of Night series. Actually won it from a contest on someone's blog. I started to read the first one, but it just wasn't keeping my interest. I'll have to give it another try one day. I've heard they are decent, so I won't fully give up.

26. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I totally agree about Rose's character. It totally takes me back to that age when I am reading these books.

I read book 2 in a little less than two days. Had I gotten further in the book the first night I would have gotten to the section where I couldn't put it down and would have probably stayed up all night reading :laughing: .

27. Utopia122

I've read all of the House of Night series except the last one. I started on the last one, but by then I was just done. It bored me to tears. I, personally, think she should have ended the series a book before, but that's probably because the story line losts some of its pizazz.

28. double-or-nothing

Ugh. Hate that. When a book is so good that you find yourself hopelessly addicted like some darn drug or something and then have the worst hang over ever the next day 'cause your kids don't care that you were up until 5am reading. :)

29. double-or-nothing

Ugh, see...now i'm even less tempted to read them. I think they will be sitting on my shelves a looooooooong time collecting dust. I'll probably only end up reading them when I literally have nothing else to read. yeah. whenever that is. ha.

30. Utopia122

Honestly, you won't be missing anything...in my opinion. I'm such a Debbie Downer on this series, sorry.

Just downloaded Charles and Emma: Darwin's Leap of Faith. Almost ready to read it...woot, woot!

31. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I haven't read the last 2 or so books in house of night. I like the adult books much more. I had a genre change about 9 months ago (from scifi to regency romance). A weird change I know but I really can't get into many scifi fantasy things here lately. I still read my favs but that's it

32. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Ok, so I guess you could now say I am addicted since I just finished book 3 in 1-1/2 days. I took the twins to an indoor playground so they could run around playing and I read, then they ate lunch and dinner and I read after taking care of them, and then after they went to sleep I was at 90% on my Kindle and I had to finish it. These books keep pulling me in quicker and quicker. I just got book 4 from Amazon and DH is joking with me about how long it will take to finish this one.

33. double-or-nothing

Yeah, as soon as I finish the other 3 books I have out from the library, I'm totally hitting books 2 and 3 up. Can. not. wait.

34. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Now I am starting to sound like an addict, but I finished book 4 this morning and all I can say is they keep getting more intense to the point that I could read 24/7 until I finish books 5 & 6. Rose totally kicks ***! Then start the next series Bloodlines that is a spin off. You have to update when you get through book 3 and 4 to let me know if you thought they were intense too.

DH has been teasing me all day saying he has never seen me read 4 books in less than 2-weeks and been so excited to start each new one. I feel like I have shot back to my teen years when reading all day consumed me :FIFblush: .

35. double-or-nothing

That's what the Twilight Series did to me. Read all 4 books in a week. I flew through Hunger Games and Catching Fire pretty quickly as well (but struggled with Mockingjay) and also The Mortal Instrument series which is my all time FAVORITE.