What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I'm reading: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.
    I'm going to cheat with the description and copy for Amazon.com as I have to fly off the computer in 2.2, but wanted to share seems pretty good so far:

'The letters comprising this small charming novel begin in 1946, when single, 30-something author Juliet Ashton (nom de plume Izzy Bickerstaff) writes to her publisher to say she is tired of covering the sunny side of war and its aftermath. When Guernsey farmer Dawsey Adams finds Juliet's name in a used book and invites articulate—and not-so-articulate—neighbors to write Juliet with their stories, the book's epistolary circle widens, putting Juliet back in the path of war stories. The occasionally contrived letters jump from incident to incident—including the formation of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society while Guernsey was under German occupation'

I have Rob Lowe's book on my Kindle and have read a few pages of that, and I am pleasantly surprised. My dh bought it for me, not sure why, I'm not really into the hollywood thing. But I am enjoying his writing style and he seems very bright and thoughtful.

I also have started "Growing Up Amish" by Ira Wagler.

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Rebecca, I loved Guernsey. It was so good.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm reading Unmeasured Strength by Lauren Manning. She was an executive for Cantor Fitzgerald and on 9/11 she was burned on 82% of her body & the book is about her will to survive and overcome her injuries. Really good book and a very tough lady!

4. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I saw her interviewed on the anniversary of 9/11 this year. Really amazing woman!

5. kingeomer

She sure is. Her book is definitely worth the read, I've teared up a few times. The first part when she finds out what happened to just about all of her fellow employees and when she sees her son for the first time after 9/11 and she's been injured. We talk about warriors and she truly is one!

6. Mama_Kim

Ew, I don't like the reorganizaation of the Diversions forums. I don't like lumping the books forum in with entertainment! Seems odd. Guess it will grow on me.

7. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I finished book 6 last night and DH could not believe I read six books in 22 days with a total of over 2,700 pages even if they were considered YA. I will say as each book progressed it was harder to put down because it seemed each chapter ended with a cliffhanger. I felt the last book was intense, emotional, answered all the questions, solved the love triangle in the end, and offered room for the spin-off series.

8. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I was very confused when I came here to post and had trouble finding the treads I had been tracking in the old forums. I guess change is difficult.

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know I can search through this thread but what series is this? i'm always up for something new.

I just started Mill river Recluse (i think that is the name of it) that i borrowed on my kindle from my FIL's wife. So far it has not grabbed me.

10. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

It is the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead. I wasn't sure if I would like this YA series when I started it, but I got hooked very quickly and it was an addicting reading experience. I loved Rose's character and her love story with Dimitri.

I also found out the movie rights have been purchased, so they could start a movie saga with this similar to the Twilight franchise.

11. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Gah! I hated BD. I gave it only 2 stars or something on Goodreads. I don't know, it felt so rushed and crazy and just...weird. It almost felt like a different author wrote it. And the whole imprinting on Bella and Edward's newborn was just...ewwwww. And don't even get me started on the name Renesme. Really? Come. On. Sorry, if i'm dissing...wait a minute...hahahaha...6 books, okay, I just realized you are not talking about Twilight. hahaha...You mean VA? I heard that 2 and 3 were the best and for some people they said they did not enjoy books 5 and 6. Shrugs. Will find out for myself.

12. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Just finished Bumped by Megan McCafferty (YA). Very interesting and different concept. Dual POVs that were very distinct. It's about a virus that hits teens somewhere around 18 and once you get the virus, you can't have children, so teens become an important group of people in society, but they are exploited for the older women/couples who rely on them to give them the children they can't have. Really makes you think. Thought the world building was great and there is some hilarious word play. About to start The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. (A Young Adult postapocalyptic romance)

13. kingeomer

I'm reading The Dresden Files, books 1-6 by Jim Butcher. So far pretty good, I just hope I can get through all 6 books by the time I have to return them to the library.

14. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just read all the Chronicles of Narnia books, and have started back on my most fav series, The Shannara series Terry Brooks. Reading First King of Shannara right now! I've read this so many times I've had to replace a few books already ;)

15. Mama_Kim

I thought I was losing my mind. I couldn't find this thread! :lol:

I am reading the book of Jacqueline Kennedy's interviews with Arthur Schlesinger. Fascinating.

16. moski

currently reading Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. It's so good.

17. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Just got around to reading this today- oh my goodness, I felt like I was going crazy reading it! When I heard the girls waking from their nap I had to put the nook down and deliberately think about normal things just to get my equilibrium right. Phew.

Good book. Very good, intense read.

18. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I am really enjoying Rob Lowe's memoir. It's not something I would normally be interested in but he is quite a good writer. I find myself often forgetting who the narrator is. It's also interesting to see a different perspective of not only the film industry but also lifestyles and friendships of actors before they were famous.

19. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I am currently reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I think it has potential for the next series my DD reads. She is over half way through book 7 of Harry Potter and will be looking for something and this has a HP feel to it.

20. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm reading game of thrones.

21. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I just downloaded Dismantled and looking forward to it based on these reviews!

I am in the middle of Time of My Life: A Novel by Allison Winn Scotch and really liking it.

Recently finished some older ones that are mostly fluff but that I enjoyed reading:

When You Least Expect It - Whitney Gaskell
    Girls in White Dresses - Jennifer Close
    Magnolia Wednesdays - Wendy Wax
    What Alice Forgot - Liane Moriarty
    The First Husband - Laura Dave
    The Midwife's Confession - Diane Chamberlain
    There's Cake in My Future - Kim Gruenenfelder
    You'll Never Nanny in this Town Again
    Switchcraft - Mary Castillo
    Left Neglected - Lisa Genova

22. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Best book I have read (or should I say listened to) in forever!! Beautiful Creatures...if you haven't read it you should. The audio is FANTASTIC! Full of sounds, great narration, and just awesome. Big book, but it is a William C Morris honor book which is meant for young adults. Geesh this book is great! Can not wait to read the second book, and the third is due out soon (if it isn't out already)

23. kingeomer

I am reading the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Issacson. I'm about 100 pages into it and it's pretty good.

24. moski

25. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

Just finished game of thrones series and sad... now I have to wait until the 6th comes out. I have been reading those for a few months now so I am trying to pick something new to read from this thread.

26. moski

I am currently reading Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan. It is so good.

27. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Just finished Hunger Games and am on to the next one! How have I missed this book! I love it!!!!!

28. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Just finished explosive eighteen by Janet evanovich. It starts out really weird for her books (been reading hers since high school). I spent the first half of the book trying to figure out if I was forgetting something from the last one because everything wasnt meshing well

Also read the guardian by sherilyn Kenyon. If you like her stuff it was one of her better books here recently

29. kingeomer

I finished the Steve Jobs biography (excellent read, if you don't mind some of the technical stuff that's in there too) and I finally finished all Hunger Games books (depressing but well written). I am now reading, "Where Ever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat Zinn.

30. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I have just finished rereading the trilogy after seeing the movie trailer when I went to see Breaking Dawn. It inspired me and I think it is fun to have faces other than the ones I envision for the characters. I cried in the same places and smiled too. Plus I always seem to notice a section that I may have breezed over in prior readings.

The best part for me is..."Do you love me? Real or not real? Real." :wub: :wub: :wub: I don't know if I got the quote exactly right, but I'm sure those who have read the books know what I am talking about.

31. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm reading Jann Arden's autobiography Falling Backwards. Its great. Even if you don't know who Jann is I recommend it.

She's a Canadian singer songwriter with some really iconic "in the moment" songs.
    Good Mother
    Insenstitive

32. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thanks for mentioning this, she is one of my favorites! I'm really excited to read this, I had no idea it existed!!

33. moski

34. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just read Nora Roberts' latest "The Next Always" in a day. Loved it. I like it when she just does straight up day to day life books. (and the kids in the book are "real", not "romance book kids" - too advanced or too babyish) Just tried to put the next one in the series on hold (coming in March) but it's not up yet.

I like what shes doing in this series, like the last one, the other couples with books to come are fully realized parts of the story who know each other in this book. You get a chance to live with them before they are featured.

35. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I just started the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...by Jonathan Safran Foer. They are coming out with the movie soon I think. It's about a little boys' perspective of 9/11 where he lost his father.

He also wrote the book Everything is illuminated, which I really didn't care for. This one, I'm enjoying much more although I've just started it.