What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by moski, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just started vampire academy.

2. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I got addicted to these books and thought Rose was a total badass and was Team Dimitri all the way. I hope you enjoy the series if you read all the books.

3. ljcrochet

i'm already on the second one. I read the first one in under a day.

4. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

For me each book gained momentum and I was power reading through them. I am glad I found the series when it was completed or else I would have went through major reading withdrawals :laughing: .

5. ljcrochet

I had to borrow DH's ipad to read the 3rd book since my library only had the epub (i think) version not the kindle version.

6. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

So you are hooked too :ibiggrin: ? I would just avoid this new book release about the series VA Guide - new book. I got it after reading the description thinking there would be some more detail on the characters and series, but was very disappointed. I even left a kind of bad review, which I rarely do. It was just a Cliff Notes version of the entire series that seemed cut & pasted together and not the description given on Amazon.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

8. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

9. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I put that on hold fro my new Kindle Fire at the library yesterday.

10. kingeomer

Maureen, I hope you enjoy the book, she is a riot!

I've read two Jen Lancaster books: My Fair Lazy, Pretty in Plaid (I love the Overdrive app on I Pad!!!). Right now I am reading selected essays written by Albert Einstein. Pretty good but it just reminds me how stupid I've gotten since I graduated school :faint:

11. Mama_Kim

I feel like such an idiot. Watched this movie last night and as soon as I heard the characters names, Dex and Em, I realized I have read this book and really liked it. I had completely forgotten until the movie jogged my memory!

12. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just read When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman. It's about an eccentric family over the course of 30 odd years, focusing on a brother/sister relationship. It was an enjoyable read.

Half Blood Blues is next for my book club.

13. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

Count me as a member of the idiot club, too! I saw a trailer for the movie and decided I wanted to read the book first. I went to Amazon to get it for my Kindle and, fortunately, there was a note at the top of the page saying I had already purchased the book. Still didn't remember it. I had to go into my archives, find it, and read the first few pages before I remembered it. And it wasn't that long ago that I'd read it... Yikes!

14. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. At first I didn't like it, I couldnt finish his first book, Everything illuminated, because it was to frustrating. But with ELIC, I found that if I just enjoyed the journey and wasn't spending a lot of effort to ''figure things out', I found I really enjoyed it. I also saw the movie, and felt they did a pretty good job keeping to the book, although I felt the movie was much 'neater'.

Also read Still Alice, thanks to you guys! Loved it! Although I have been walking around convinced I have early dementia!

I've just started Winds of War, and am really enjoying it...

15. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

16. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Finished the immortal life of Hernrietta Lacks.

Currently hounded by Kevin hearne

Next Revenge of lord eberlin by Julia london

17. kingeomer

I read Zone One by Colson Whitehead, a good book but the second half is much better then the first half.
    And The Maid by Kimberly Cutter, a historical fiction novel about Joan of Arc. Really good read.

18. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started a thread about it, wondering if anyone else read it...

I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey and now onto Fifty Shades Darker.

Talk about making someone blush!!! But man, ya can't put it down!!!

19. kingeomer

I'm going to have to check those out, I've never heard of those books.

20. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Me either Nancy. Then I had a friend text me asking me if I read it...and said they had just done a story on it on the Today Show.

21. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I just read Divergent ... not sure if that has been on this thread before but another YA dystopia society novel that I thought was fun.

I read The Bronze Horseman before that. It was soo good :wub: This came out awhile ago so may not be on anyone's new reading list but its a great romance plus historical fiction about Russia in WWII if you haven't read it yet.

22. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

DH and I loved Divergent (he read it after I got hooked) and I can't wait until book 2, Insurgent, is released in May 2012. I think the author said she started the series as an assignment in her creative writing class in college and IMO it was a great story to come up with for a class assignment.

23. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I am also eager to read Insurgent. I can't believe that was written as an assignment... that's awesome.

24. Mama_Kim

Arcadia by Lauren Groff. Oddly mystical with fabulous imagery.

25. TwinxesMom

Wolf gift by Anne rice has been her best book in years. If you like the first of her books you'll really like this one

26. ljcrochet

I just checked out Divergent for my kindle, i'll probably start it after my girls go to bed.

27. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Since last check in, I've read:

Hunger Games Trilogy (twice, I thought maybe I missed something the first time through)
    Milennium Trilogy (The girl with the dragon tattoo and the other two)
    Water for Elephants
    Front Porch Prophet
    Kill Alex Cross (the story line was good, the writing not so good)
    A Million Little Pieces (started this morning, not impressed)
    American Gods
    Anansi Boys
    BossyPants
    Zombie Spaceship Wasteland
    World War Z

Of all of these books, I would recommend American Gods and Anansi Boys, World War Z, and the Milennium Trilogy. And that's it.

28. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

29. kingeomer

Bex, I loved American Gods!

Since my last update I've read:
    1st two books of the Fifty Shades trilogy (the third is waiting on my Nook)
    Outlander, which I loved.
    Second Sight by Amanda Quick (good read)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I liked that one but it took me a while to get into it.
    In the middle of Vaccinated by Paul Offit, MD. Interesting read about how the modern day vaccines came about and the man behind most of them.

30. TwinxesMom

I just finished game of thrones and am now watching it <3.

1 person likes this.
  31. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just finished Gone Girl. It was pretty good! Checking out this thread for a new book to d/l.

32. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I finished that one last night, too! It took awhile to hook me, but once it did... Excellent read.

Oh, and I downloaded Defending Jacob tonight. I'll let you know if I like it. :)

33. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm in the middle of re-reading Shanna Swendson's Katie Chandler series. Its sorta like chick lit for the Harry Potter reader. Both of us love them. 1 is amazing, 2 and 3 are slow but 4 is fun. Just saw number 5 is out in e-book! I'm downloading it right now. (Connie is going to re-read the paper books and then borrow my reader to read the 5th)

My kobo wireless was stolen from my car 2 weeks ago (devastating!) but I have my kobo vox tablet that I can read on.

34. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last week I read:
    Intervention by Robin Cook. It was pretty interesting and fast-paced- it also had a religious bent toward whether Catholicism could be disproved if the remains of Mary were found.

Up at the College by a Michele (with 1 L!) which was ok.

I started the first 50 Shades but my Kindle got lost and is gone so I'm 567 on the libraries waiting list. I should have it by 2015!

35. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I finished Defending Jacob last night- SO good! Loved it!