natural fraternal twins b/g 26w4d

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by w101ttd, Feb 26, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hello! I have been reading this site for ever :). A lot of people have tons of issues with their pregnancies. So my question is that anybody here is around my time and have no complications, no issues, no complains? I am feel great, still working full time, no contraction, cervic bond is still every think.

I dont know if it is true. But I guess we have natural twins, we have less issues then those got pregnant with help (drugs,..)

2. Haley'sHope

Haley'sHope Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board! I am not sure that spontaneous conception necessarily results in an easier pregnancy than assisted reproduction. All of my children resulted from fertility treatments and I have many friends who conceived spontaneously and had very complicated pregnancies that were much more difficult than mine. Also, you may want to avoid using the term "natural twins". Although you probably don't mean anything by it the flip side of natural twins would be unnatural twins and that's really offensive to a lot of people who have struggled very hard to conceive their children & the term has caused a lot of debates. Twins that were conceived without assistance are spontaneous twins.

Congratulations on your twin pregnancy & that everything seems to be going so well!

3. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Not sure what you mean about natural twin pregnancies being easier. Mine twins were spontaneous and let me tell you, the pregnancy was awful and the delivery even worse. I don't think one has anything to do with another.

4. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I dont think they have anything to do with one another. A pregnancy is a pregnancy regardless if it was spontaneous or with assistance. I did IVF and had a rather easy pregnancy.

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

I have spontaneous b/g twins, and was sailing(ok, not sailing, I was really sick for the first 20 weeks!) along until about 28 weeks, and unfortunately I was on bedrest until the end of my pregnancy at 37 weeks. My complications included shortening cervix(from week 27-28 it went from 5 to 2.5 with funneling), PTL(several trips to L/D), high heart rate(me), and they were ultimately delivered because of threatening Pre-E.

Anyway, I say all this not to scare you, but to inform you that anything, ANYTHING, can happen with ANY pregnancy, and especially with multiples!

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to Twinstuff. :welcome:

Complications can happen whether you conceived with help or spontaneously. You just never know what will happen with a twin pregnancy. That is good news that everything is going well for you so far. :good: Everything was going great for me until 24 weeks then I had PTL and this was after having a singleton pregnancy that was a week late with no PTL.

7. citizenpelikan

citizenpelikan Well-Known Member

I'm having what you called natural twins. Di/Di. I have not had any issues (except morning sickness until week 20) and the pregnancy has been just as easy as my singleton pregnancies. So far.

I don't agree that there is a supposed link between having conceived without intervention and a carefree easy pregnancy. That's too much of an assumption for me to subscribe to it.

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:wavey: and welcome to twinstuff!!

I don't know if getting "help" vs having spontaneous twins means more complications or not. I did have help and had a great pregnancy. Other then braxton hicks (which was fixed by alot more water) I carried my two to 39 weeks and they were big.

Good luck to you!!

9. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Hi there. Congrats on your pregnancy. Other than a bit of nausea in the first trimester, I had a pretty easy twin pregnancy, but did start to get pretty tired around 32 weeks or so. The end of summer and being pregnant with twins while keeping up with a 2 yr. old will do that to you. lol I was induced at 38 +1 with no complications and actually had healthier weight gain and blood pressure with my twin pregnacy than I did with my singleton. I did end up with pre-e with my oldest DD and was induced b/c of it. FWIW, I used Clomid to help get preggo each time.

10. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!
    Welcome to the ride of your life :) I am glad that the journey thus far has been uneventful and I hope your last 14wks go just as good!!

I used clomid for both of my pregnancies and the second time around with my twins was actually more pleasant until they came early at 31 wks:(

Several staff in NICU told me that they see a lot of babies multiples and singletons that resulted from fertility treatments but I think its kinda a hard thing to judge unless they have actually done studies on it.None of my doctors mentioned anything about increased risks because of it besides the chances of multiples which increases your risks no matter how they were conceived. At the time I was kinda offended that they would say that to me just after delivering early twins as if I caused it but now I look back and there is no need to be offended. I am not ashamed that I needed help to conceive nor did I cause my twins to come early in any way. I am thankful everyday that I have three healthy boys and I couldn't ask for anything more.
    Best of luck

11. w101ttd

Thank you for all of your replies.
    I didnt mean to upset anybody by using 'natural twins'. I have friends having hard time to conceive. So I do understand how hard people try to have kids.

I didnt want to start any debate here. I have been reading alot about twins pregnancies. The more you read, the more you worried. People tend to post all the issues they have. That just scares the hell out of many people. At first, I kept thinking 'something will go wrong because I am carrying twins.' Being pregnant is tough, being pregnant with twins is even tougher. And we tend to worry double. I think we need some positive stories (like im doing well,..)

My pregnancy is not that easy. The first trimester was tough. I had bad morning sickness. I was worried to sick that something bad would happen to my babies. Every Doc appointment, my doc had to ensure me that i was doing well and my babies were growing well.I did not feel well until changed my lifestyle and eating habit. It took me for a while to adjust to new eating schedule.Its hard to stop eating food that I liked and started eating food which I never ate before the pregnancy. Drinking at least 1 gallon of water daily and peeing every 5 mins are not fun. Because of my efforts (plus some lucks), my pregnancy is processing every well (no swelling, backpain, dizziness, shortness of breath,..). My babies are growing very healthy. And I dont gain so much weight. I plan on working up to 36 weeks. So I cross my fingers and hope I can make it.

To me, being pregnant with twins is way way too hard. It is harder than studying for PHD in my opinion. But we all should think positively.

12. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

Congratulations on expecting twins!!! Glad to hear all is going well with your pregnancy[​IMG]

13. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

My OB believes that the biggest indicator of carrying a multiple birth successfully is having a prior pregnancy/birth. She said she is much more nervous about first time moms being preg with multiples than moms who have birthed a child before. Interesting.
    Congrats on your problem free pregnancy thus far. My IVF twin pregnancy has been problem free so far too but Im not counting my chickens yet! The 3rd trimester (28 weeks +) seems to be when it gets trickier for us. :)

14. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

I conceived my singleton with the help of fertility treatments, and I had the easiest pregnancy ever. Delivered him at exactly 40 weeks after spontaneous labor and he was big and healthy.

I conceived these twins also with fertility treatments, and it's been very difficult. I was naive in thinking that because I rocked the singleton pregnancy, I could rock this one as well. At around 25 weeks my cervix got way too short, and I've been on bedrest ever since (I'm 33 weeks now). The weight of these enormous chunkers (they are in the 90th percentile) is too much for my poor body. I just really don't think our bodies are made to carry two babies at once, whether it happened spontaneously or with help.

My first reaction to your comment about perhaps spontenous twin pregnancies being easier was "Absolutely not." But then I remembered reading something in Dr. Barbara Luke's book about infertility treatments being listed among the factors that can put you at more risk when carrying multiples. I really think it has to do with WHY you had trouble conceiving. I imagine there could possibly be some fertility issues that make conception AND pregnancy more challenging.

But in general, no, I don't think how you conceived your twins is a factor.

15. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

There is research being done in this area, but I am not familiar enough with the studies nor their quality or results to weigh in here.

16. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is any way you can edit the title?

I normally do not care about stuff like this but it's just rubbing me the wrong way like CRAZY!

It just soo implies that those of us that had "help" have twins that are NOT natural.

I don't like it one bit.

Congrats on your pregnancy, at any rate and I wish you the best. Spontaneous, is the better term tho for future reference :)

17. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

She did share that she was unaware that the term natural was not meant to upset anyone.

18. w101ttd

I didnt mean that really.When we found out we're having twins, we're totally shocked. We didnt plan on the twins. So I said 'Natural'. Having kids is wonderful. It doesnt matter how our kids're conceived though. Sorry the subject bothers you. I cant change it. I would if I could.

19. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

Funny that this got brought up. I just saw an article the other day in which the study supposedly pointed out to a higher risk of stillbirth in pregnancies conceived via IVF or IUI. However the study was only on 700 something pregnancies. Supposedly another study was done on 27,000 pregnancies in which there was no link to a higher number of stillbirth for these pregnancies. However, a doctor quoted in the article stated that we shouldn't be surprised to find more complications for patients who have undergone fertility treatments. It's only logical that women who have more trouble conceiving might also have more trouble during the pregnancy...it's a problem to resolve though and not some kind of reflection on the worth of the pregnancy or the child or the mother...not something to hold up and say 'spontaneous' pregnancies are somehow better. Anecdotally you'll find lots of 'spontaneous' moms who have issues...and lots of moms who have undergone fertility treatments who have no issues.

Incidentally, I had a spontaneous b/g pregnancy with very few issues at all! So there's a nice anecdote to encourage you that your smooth-sailing pregnancy might just stay that way!

20. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Great points. If there is a link, I agree that the knowledge should be used to educate, research and improve outcomes. And it is important to acknowledge that increased or decreased risk of complications due to type of conception will still only impact a subset of people; there are many factors involved.

21. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think it was made (abundantly) clear that "spontaneous" is the accurate term she was looking for and it was made equally clear by the OP that it was an innocent mistake. I remember how much I DIDN'T know about twins before I came here and, yes, this even includes the term "spontaneous." Heck, I'm still learning! So I try to keep this in mind with other pregnant momma's, too. If there's anyone that doesn't need something else to stress about, it's a twin-pregnant momma!

Anyway... :welcome: Sounds like your pregnancy is going great. That's awesome!! I had a relatively easy pregnancy, too, but I think my body just handles pregnancy well. Not everyone's does. I think at least some of that is genetic.

Just listen to your body. It will tell you when you need to slow down a little (or a lot). For me, the bottom didn't really fall out until about 32 wks. I didn't have any serious issues (aside from mild, diet-controlled GD), but the pregnancy really turned into an entirely different experience at this point. Even without complications, that last month (I delivered at 35.5wks) was really physically and mentally challenging. So don't beat yourself up if you need to really start cutting back after 30wks. Just do what you gotta do to keep those peeps cooking!!

And one other thing...researching pregnancies and multiples is fine, BUT....you really can over-research. There is SO much worst-case-scenario info out there that you can really, REALLY freak yourself out. Stay off google. Stay ON Twinstuff. Lots of been-there-done-that help here with out putting needless fear in your head.

Good luck and keep up the good work!! :hug: :youcandoit:

Eve