Could this mean that I'll be going into labor soon?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by babyhopes09, Mar 23, 2010.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I'm about 34 weeks and have been having contractions (some b/h and some productive) for a long time now. As of last week I was not dialated but, per my doctor, my cervix was very short and soft. I have been taking procardia for about a month and now am having fairly strong contractions despite it. The doctor did put me on modified activity rest until we get to 35 weeks and last week my fetal fibronectin test came back negative (I was told that it is probable that we wouldn't go into labor for another week- that was a week ago). The doctor also said that there really is not much they can do to stop the contractions- I didn't really respond to terbutiline and the procardia doesn't seem to be working. Over the last couple of days I've started having occasional stronger and much more painful contractions paired with cramping/stomach upset feeling... there isn't a pattern though. Does anyone have any experience with these types of contractions and if so, how soon after did you go into full labor? My DH and I are also confused as to when we should call the doctor- my understanding is that we should call when there becomes a pattern or when the contractions get stronger or if I notice bleeding... or fluid. Is this right, do you think? Thanks!!!!! :)

2. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

it is best to wait until they start to come in some sort of a pattern before going in. but things to do to prevent it (or slow it) from going to a regular pattern are... bedrest, and DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, as much water as you can, so that you're peeing constantly. make sure you empty your bladder frequently because you will often get more contractions when your bladder is full. rest, take it easy, and you're right about going in if you have bleeding or fluid. good luck!

3. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

+1 on what Amy said!

It's so hard to know when you'll go into labor. We have been on pins and needles here, expecting to go any minute... I've been having tons of contractions and my cervix has been dilated 4 cm for at least one week!! But here I am, still baking. Hang in there, drink lots, rest lots, and just keep an eye out for regular contractions, bleeding, and/or fluid.

Good luck!!

4. MsTasha

MsTasha Well-Known Member

From what I understand you can stay that way for quite a while, a friend on another board was having contractions off and on for over 2 weeks before she actually went into labor, another friend had contractions for an hour and her water broke and the baby was born 5 hours later. Wait until you have a pattern, fluid, bleeding, or contractions that are severe. Best of luck :youcandoit: I also agree with laying down, drinking lots of water and using the RR frequently.

5. heathlenore

heathlenore Well-Known Member

I am a week behind you and I have tons of contractions. I have been on meds for contrax since 26 weeks and now the procardia and terbutaline I take every 4 hrs doesn't really help. My cervix is still long and closed despite all this activity so I'm hoping to get more weeks under my belt. My contrax over the last week have started to get crampy/uncomfortable and sometimes can be every 5-6 minutes which is why I went to l&d triage this past weekend but the meds didn't help and they didn't want me to start Magnesium IV this far along. I ended up going home and just dealing with contrax. They want me to still call if I'm having them quite frequently but to mainly call with bleeding, fluid, increase in discharge, pressure. Hope you can at least get some sleep at night and get some breaks throughout the day from contracting.

6. babyhopes09

It seems like there is not much of a rhyme or reason for when Iabor will start... I just keep thinking things are starting to change.. with this and I'm starting to leak colostrum/milk and the babies have dropped way down, but I guess it could still be awhile..

7. babyhopes09

Just wanted to update- went into labor and delivery yesterday and am starting to dialate- they sent me home and started me on terbutaline in addition to the procardia and put me on bedrest until we hit 36 weeks.. feel like we're in an okay place though because we are pasat the 34 week mark!

8. luvmytwins08

luvmytwins08 Well-Known Member

:) reminds me of my labor! i was contracting for 8 days on and off anywhere from 5 mins apart to 7 mins apart. One day I thought for sure it was the time! I was dilated to 3 for 8 days too!!! Then finally I said "screw this" and went about my day. Cleaned, went shopping (you can go off of bed rest at 35 weeks) and then that night (while coincidentally watching TLC's IN THE WOMB IDENTICAL TWIN show)my water finally broke from BABY A. Then they induced me later on to get the contractions going stronger. A few hours later, it was time to push!!!