16 and pregnant

Discussion in 'General' started by birdsong00, Apr 3, 2010.

1. birdsong00

birdsong00 Well-Known Member

I am always curious about other people and how they manage with multiples. I am 30 years old served 11 years in the Army and have experienced a lot but some days these two little angels KICK my BUTT!!! I try to stay positive, stay organized and do the absolute best for my girls Lord knows they are an answered prayer....any how..... not sure if anyone else has seen the show but I watch a show on MTV called 16 and pregnant some of the girls are unbelievable and I feel SO bad for the babies. Tuesday 9:00 central they will be airing a show about a 16 year old who gets pregnant with TWINS after dating a guy for 1 month!!! I'm dying to see how she does it bless her heart and the twins look SUPER cute!! on the previews. Just thought I'd share if you all want to tune in of course I'm wondering the usually did she carry to term, NICU time, breastfeed, pampers, SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP. Maybe they will share her e-mail address and we can recommend Twinstuff lol

2. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

I certainly hope she has lots of family help!

3. eliseypoo7147

eliseypoo7147 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this too, because there are not very many teenagers with twins. I was only 18 when my two were concieved, and I've only met 2 other teenage moms who got pregnant with twins. Granted, I wasn't in high school & was married, so I'm sure its much more complicated for her (can't imagine how she's going to continue to go to school with the cost of daycare!!).

4. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I already have my TIVO set! CANNOT WAIT to see this! POOR THING!

5. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I had a wonderful pregnancy and great babies but I am also older, have a great helpful husband and family, experience dealing with many babies (was an infant childcare teacher for several years), and was financially stable. I can't imagine how unwed teens with out family support and aren't financially stable can do it. I think it's great that they are showing it can happen to teens also but I hope the show does not make it look easy.

6. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

The hospital and floor where I work was just on 16 and Pregnant (Good Samaritan). The mom chose adoption. I am very interested to see the twin episode!

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I really enjoy this show & will be tuning in to the twin episode for sure. I do feel bad for the babies, though.

8. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

My mom and aunt work at the same hospital as you!

9. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I knew a high school friend who got his girlfriend pregnant with twins... They were probably 17. They named their twins something like Rapunzel and Genevieve... some kind of fairy tale princess names... I sometimes wondered if their enthusiasm for playing house wore off or if they lasted. He was going to marry her, not sure if that worked out or not.

10. DinaJ

DinaJ Well-Known Member

There were twins in the NICU at the same time as our boys in the next crib. The parents were teens. I never saw them in the 3 weeks we were there, but both sets of grandparents were there all the time, rocking the babies. I'm sure that's how the teen parents get by--the grandparents tend the babies and pay for everything. How else could they manage? Very sad.

11. eliseypoo7147

I think he is the best dad this show has ever shown. EVER. And she reminds me of Farrah. :(

12. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

He is making me so sad. He's trying so hard, and she is just living in la-la land. I hope this ends well.

13. birdsong00

birdsong00 Well-Known Member

WOW I don't know what to say!! Great dad but REALLY....he's staying home with the twins while she goes to basketball games. She took them to a nail salon I DIDNT EVEN have the energy to SHOWER. It amazed me how they portrayed it as just another teen pregnancy I wish they would have shown how HARD it is!!! She was putting make-up on while carrying one and carrying both of them around like it was nothing SHE really made me sick POOR babies

14. lianyla

Ya, either she had REAAAAALLLY easy babies or I am a wimp! WTHECK! She is a child, that was made clear and he seemed like a WONDERFUL guy.

I think she is correct that she made a HUGE (one of many) mistake in messing things up w/ Casey and that she will regret it for her (and her girls) for the rest of her life. She was/is a spoiled child. I was nervous watching her tantrums.

Poor father and YES poor babies! EEKS.

15. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I watched last nights episode, and I am a little taken aback by the judgment of her on here. I am not condoning teenage pregnancy, but I have no desire to see her fail and suffer just because she is a teen mom. She owned up to her mistake, and admitted she wished she would have made different choices. She can't change the past, all she can do is learn from her mistakes and move forward. I personally think MTV does a good job of Not glorifying teen pregnancy. I think they most definitely try to get it across how hard it really is and how many sacrifices are made.

Obviously she made some questionable choices, going to basketball games and such but the father of the babies was watching the twins and they were safe. It did not affect them negatively at all. In the whole scheme of things, its really not that big of a deal. By the end of the show, she also admitted that she had made poor choices in regards to the relationship with Corey, and how hard it was to raise two babies alone. Reality was obviously setting in. My heart broke for her, as you could see that she was really hurting.

Considering the circumstances, I think she was doing a pretty good job. The first year with my girls was harder than hard, and I had the help of a supportive husband. I would not wish that on anyone. Especially a single teenage mom of twins.

I guess I am just not getting the whole those "poor babies". Sure she made some choices that I wouldn't have, but it did not endanger her girls in the least. I have seen a lot of the 16 and pregnant episodes, and I think she was one of the better moms. He was also an excellent dad. They weren't dumping them on their parents and expecting them to foot the bill.

I sure as hell would not want a camera following me around in those first few delirious months!

16. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

My heart broke for Corey, I really think he is going to grow into a wonderful man. I think that the mom (I don't remember her name!) was just very young and immature.

I think back on myself at that age and don't imagine that I would have been terribly different. She had a great guy who wanted to actually be a father to her girls, but he represented a loss of her youth. When she went back to school she was allowed to escape her very real and very permanent responsibilities.

I can't wait to see the reunion. I want these two to make it work.

Did anybody else BAWL like a baby over her discharge? My hubby was rubbing my back and shaking his head. Ha! Pitiful!

17. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I became addicted to this show during the first season. I've been mortified many times by how awful some of the moms and dads have been. No sense of responsibility whatsoever, completely indifferent towards their babies once they're here, shockingly disrespectful towards their parents trying to help (who usually end up doing the brunt of all the work). When I heard they were featuring a mom with twins, I was secretly hoping for a little bit of a train wreck, to prove once and for all how hard it is caring for newborn twins to those who don't get it because they haven't experienced it. But to my surprise, I was completely impressed with how well they seemed to handle it. I was annoyed that she didn't take the bedrest seriously, but probably did better than most 16 year olds would. I really felt for them when they were so emotional being discharged from the hospital without their babies, and I was really impressed that they went to see the babies every day during their nicu stay. I don't think some of the parents from the prior episodes would have cared enough to do that. If you ignore all the relationship drama, they actually seemed to have it together. I totally expected this to be an episode where the grandparents were up all hours of the night helping or doing most of the work. I was amazed the parents did a lot of it living on their own and paying their own bills.

I think Leah got caught up in missing her old life and used her (loser) ex as a symbol of that life. But she did appear to be a good mother. As for the father, I was so impressed. He's the best I've seen on this show.

My complaint is that it backfired on me and made me feel worse! This girl made it look easy, and I struggled through 3 months of barely getting by when I was 30 and happily married! I suspect it's just how they chose to portray it, and wanted to focus on what she had to give up as a teenager rather than the true struggles of life with twins. I wish they would have shown more of what it's really like though.

ETA: Oh, and the fact that she was wearing skin tight tops 3 weeks out busted my theory that you can't completely get your flat stomach back after having twins. So a double blow to my ego after watching this episode!

18. lianyla

You're missing the point.

She gave ZERO effort to making it work for her kids. She wanted nothing to do with keeping her family together FOR her babies. Or did you think she did? Maybe you thought so??

Anyway, THAT is NOT good "parenting."

She was out all night 2 min after the babies got home and leaving them home with that POOR guy who she TREATED LIKE POOP-- worse than poop- while hanging out with her EX boyfriend!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that okay?? NO! LOL

That is the problem, I had!

Anyway, didn't seem normal to me.. but that's me.

And, I agree w/ everyone else.. they spent a bit too much time focusing on her being at b ball games and hs and not enough time on what it's actually like w/ the twins, I guess but I'm sure that's more the pt of the show than what us twin moms would be looking for anyway.

I thought it was a pretty good episode I ALWAYS watch the show :)

19. eliseypoo7147

I didn't really like the episode because it didn't show what it was like to have twin at all! It just showed her relationship drama.

20. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I am not missing the point. She is a Teenager. Why should she or anyone (teenager or otherwise) be forced to be with someone for the sake of the children? Many times that scenario backfires, and it actually has a negative impact on the kids. Why should the kids be forced to be exposed to the fighting and obvious discontent of the parents? Is that a healthy environment for them?

It was made very clear that they didn't even know each other, were only dating a month, and got pregnant with twins. Yes, she certainly made the decision to have sex and thus suffered the consequences. But she doesn't deserve a life sentence of shame for goodness sakes. I think considering her age, she owned up to her responsibilities more than most would have. It was pretty obvious by the end of the show, she realized how poorly she treated Corey and had regrets. What more do you want from this poor girl? She has a lot on her plate, especially for her age and personally I think she doing a pretty good job.

Have you never left your children with your husband or another able adult so you can do something for yourself? I know I certainly have, and I don't feel guilty about it. I consider myself a very good parent, thank you very much. Her babies were being taken care of, and she is actually one of the few teenagers that didn't dump her babies off on her own parents.

Also, just an FYI, Bold and Italics and even Underlining are sufficient when trying to emphasize a point. No need to capitalize all kinds of random words. :rolleyes: When words are capitalized like that it often comes off as Shouting. Surely that is not what you are trying to do, is it?

2 people like this.
  21. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree with Kyrstyn. :good: Yes, I got frustrated with her and how she was acting at times, but in the end she is only 16! (or 17?) I don't know how I would have acted at that age. I know at times I felt like just going out and ignoring things and I was 28!!! :lol: Either way, no matter what age, we aren't in her shoes and we don't know the whole story... it's what they wanted to portray on MTV and we really can't judge too much. :pardon: I'm just hoping they are all still doing well now and the girls have two parents who love them. I also agree that just because they had kids together doesn't mean they should stay together. That isn't fair to the parents or the kids.

22. skybluepink02

skybluepink02 Well-Known Member

I just watched this! (yes I'm a little late, :)) I felt so bad for her. One one hand, I wanted to give her a good butt-kicking. On the other hand I wanted to give her a big hug. I know our first year, my husband and I were less than nice to each other a lot of times. We're lucky we had a 5 year strong relationship behind us. As I told my husband when we were watching it, she's acting 17. Some of her decisions weren't the best, but she deserves some leniency because of her age. She pulled it together and seems to be making her best effort to be a good mom.

23. skybluepink02

skybluepink02 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'm really glad that there were no cameras following me around those first months. It wouldn't have been pretty!

24. TwinLove

:laughing: That's what I was thinking. :unsure: Her body bounced back MUCH faster then mine and yeah... it really would have scared some into never having kids. :rotflmbo:

25. lianyla

26. lianyla

Kyrstyn- Don't FYI Me anything- OKAY?????????? Let's make that clear.

I don't need a lesson from YOU.

I get it.

Did you watch the show or not? Did you see the ending? Did you see her saying how she was sorry about what she did to Corey? Just curious?????????????????????

Anyway, you did miss the pt.

And the pt was, YES, she IS a kid, but, she the fact remains that POOR BABIES is still the main moral of the story.

XO

27. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Gee Okay. Everyone has their own opinion but you dont have to take it out them. Kyrstyn is a very nice person and doesnt deserved to be talked to like THIS! or THAT. Why cant people just say what they like without being judged.? Its called freedom of speech without having an argument on here everytime theres a great topic. I mean come on yeah the girl Leahm she made a bad decision one i sure wouldnt make. She had a hard time dealing with it, and your talking about how this 17 year old gurl is acting? Shes 17, didnt we all act a little immature at some point? well from what im seeing your acting quite the same to her and your not 17. An adult is not really acting like one. I dont want to be mean, but gee give people a break. Kyrstyn has been through alot with Premmie twins, and i know how hard it was cause my parents went through it with us. So she knows what she talking about. So just you can have your opinion, good everyone is entilted to their opinion, so make it and move on. Theres no need for heated arguments!

Why does everyone have to have arguments on here? We are all twin mothers/or twins ourselves, we should be friends not haters..

Now I just hope my post made sense now..

1 person likes this.
  28. lianyla

29. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Who does?

30. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

Back to the OT...I watched it and felt incredibly sad. Just so incredibly, incredibly sad for Leah (I think was her name?), the babies, Corey...my goodness what a mess! I happen to agree that it is not important for the parents to be together to make a family. I think it's more important for the mother and father to be happy for the children to be happy. My heart just broke for the both of the parents because truly one decision can change the entire course of your life. I remember what it's like to be 16 and there but for the grace of God...

31. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I watched it too and was a little bummed that they didn't focus more on the difficulties of raising twin babies, but I still thought it was pretty good. Yeah Leah made some bad decisions, especially concerning the dad, but she is young and acting her age. I was impressed that they were trying to do it on their own instead of relying on mom and dad. The only part that made me cringe was when she was driving and saw some of the dads friends it shows glimpses of the twins carseats in the back and one of them kept rocking so it obviously wasn't buckled in correctly. I've watched all of these shows so far and I have to say the one who ticked me off the most was Janelle, young or not she was insane! The one with the girl Chelsea made me want to cry her BF said some really awful things to her and the poor girl was making excuses for him. :(

32. TwinLove

I saw the rocking carseats as well. :unsure: That was the only part that really made me angry and cringe.

33. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I saw that, too. My husband saw those and said, "Those aren't supposed to be moving are they?" I was like, ummm, no! You would think someone would have taught that child how to put in carseats correctly...like her MOM!

34. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

I watched part of the show. I would not want to be in her shoes. Thinking back to my state of mind at age 16, I CANNOT imagine going through twin babies, no husband, no money :(

I agree that they do not portray the craziness of the twinfant daily schedule. I find that they don't focus much on the hardships of infant life in any of the other episodes either. I think that would be helpful as a "PSA" against teen pregnancy.

My closest friends and I all had careers first and didn't begin our families until our mid 30's. We always marvel at how relaxed and laid back teen mothers are. Maybe with wisdom comes more fears & being more uptight. But on the flip side, we so cherish motherhood and there are zero regrets. We had are chance to live the carefree life of a teen and 20-something.

35. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I give her props for HAVING her twins! A lot of teens would have found out there were two in there, aborted them and continued on with life. I think she tried her very best, as best as a 17 year old can try. I work with teen moms every day (some as young as 14) and they just don't get it no matter how hard they try.