humidifier waking them up?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Apr 22, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

when the water bubbles in the humidifier, it always wakes the kids up.
    i am SO nervous to turn this off - it's their white noise in the room! do you think *just* a ceiling fan would work for noise? it seems pretty quiet.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think your babies would get used to the ceiling fan, but I'd wouldn't think the ceiling fan would be enough, either. THIS is our sound machine. What is kind of nice about it is DH plugged it into the outlet that the light works off of- so we flip the switch when they go down, turn it on and know down to the minute how long they've been sleeping (ie 12:37 is a 37 minute nap).

3. newtothis

oooh never thought of a sound machine. i keep a CD playing in their room 24/7. do you think that's enough?

4. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

There are lots of white noise options besides a humidifier: box fan, air purifier (that's what we use in nursery 24/7), a sound machine (we have this model for traveling and LOVE it), and other options. We also have the Homedic Soundspa Lullaby in the nursery, but we only use it to play music while they get their nighttime bottle. I personally would find music playing 24/7 rather grating, LOL.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I would think that would cover it. I don't think I'd like to sleep to a sound machine, CD & a ceiling fan, LOL. Maybe if you run the humidifier when you get them up & turn it off when they start their nap that should be enough humidity.

6. newtothis

:pardon: idk. we always had the music going since day 1 of them being home. LOL
    maybe it's overkill? i like that their room is kinda 'quiet' and that it blocks out noise from the outside or if we have people over. our house is not big and the kid's room is fairly close to the living room, den, etc.

hmm. so thoughts on this? should i forgo the CD player for good and just do a white noise machine? like the lullaby one and only leave the music on for about 1 hour or so?

7. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

We do lullabies during the day for naptime and white noise at night. We actually just downloaded white noise on our iPod since that's what we use for the lullabies too. The lullabies are the same ones my 6 y.o. fell asleep when he was a baby, and he just quit falling asleep to music about 6 months ago! It was definitely a routine for him :ibiggrin: .

Laura