Neosure

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, May 20, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My b/g twins are on neosure + breastmilk now. They are allowd to have 2-3 bottles of neosure a day. The girl is doing ok. But the boy gets very gassy and constipated. He seems like try to poop all the time. I talked to pedi but she thought its ok for him to continue on neosure. I try to give him breaastmilk as much as possible. But still cant solve the issue.Please help!

By the way, he still can poop. I have to help him by take his rectal temp hahah

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

How old are your babies? If you click on the ticker in my siggy it will take you to the site where you can make one. :)

My girls were on Neosure for 6 months after they came home from the NICU, and also suffered form intermittent constipation. If your babies were preemies right now, I would say that the calories right now are very important. For me the benefit outweighed the problems that neosure caused.

3. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

my boys were on neosure when they were discharged from NICU but they had difficulty digesting it because it was so rich. our pedi told us we could switch to regular similac advanced and boost the calories with an extra scoop. we tried similac sensitive but the problem never was lactose so similac advanced worked just fine.

maybe talk to your pedi about transitioning. and make sure you get clear instructions on calorie boosting because you don't want to just wing it. too much extra formula can be hard on tummies, too.

4. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Oh man I remember those early weeks after my boys came home on Neosure and having to give them suppositories while they cried from not being able to poop for days. I'm sorry your son is going through that now! Our pedi gave us some samples of Enfamil Enfacare (another 22 calorie formula) to use instead of Neosure but the constipation and extreme gassiness continued. We ended up trying several 20 cal formulas (Similac Sensitive, Gentlease, etc) before finding one that they tolerated better. Our pedi was happy with our boys weight gain with just the 20 cal formula so we didn't have to fortify it with extra formula/calories. But I agree with piccologirl that if you do try a different formula find out from the manufacturer, or your pedi, exactly how much extra formula you need to add to make it 22 calories per ounce. GL!

Also, regarding gassiness, mylicon drops never really did anything for our boys, but we had great success with Cocyntal homeopathic vials for colic/gas. I always kept a good supply of those on hand and still swear by them. All babies are different though but they sure seemed to help our boys.

5. marikaclare

marikaclare Well-Known Member

Our boys are on Neosure since coming home from the NICU and Lucas had a pretty hard time with it at first. I would give him as much breast milk as I produced which seemed to help a little. He has grown through it and now they both are fine with it...still quite gassy but not so uncomfortable. Their weight gain has been great on Neosure so were sticking with it until the pediatrician tells us to switch. It's also covered by our insurance which is great! Good luck - hope it gets better!

6. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

our b/g twins are on neosure currently and DS has an issue with constipation, DD does not. We mentioned it to the pedi yesterday at their check up and he mentioned putting a tablespoon of dark Karo syrup in every other bottle. He said that should help clear him up and once he gets "regular" again to wean him off of the Karo.

We've started that this morning and haven't seen any results yet but we'll see how the next couple of days go.

7. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Thanks Ladies! My twins are 32 weekers, 38w4d today. Nolan does poop (1-2 diapers/daily). But he likes to poop alot. He tries all the time. If he cant, he is fussy. Michelle poops almost every diapers. because he still can poop, so doc doesnt seem care. But i cant stand to see him so uncomfortable.

Nolan eats 80-100cc / feeding. Michelle eats 80-90cc. They eat every 3 hours. Michelle likes to eat alot. She can take more. But she will puke up a bit after eating, so I dont give her more. They have reflux issue. They are on zantac now. I give them 1-2 neosure bottles at night so I can sleep and my husband feeds them. Day time, I mix 2 oz of breastmilk and 1 oz of neosure for Nolan. Michelle gets 100% breastmilk, becasue of her puking up. I try to give them as much breastmilk as I can, but my supply can meet their demand

8. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

One of mine had constipation with Neosure. They had to have it until they were 6 months old so I just put a little prune juice in with her first morning bottle of formula each day. That kept her regular.