When you named your kids

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Jun 9, 2010.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did you think of all the icky nicknames that could be made of their names (not nicknames based on appearance or personality)?

A friend of mine wanted to name her kid Lucas, but I immediately brain vomited the words "Lucas Puke-as" and she decided against it. The name Cooper (my dog's name), "Cooper-Pooper". I thought we had pretty steadfast names, Royce and Alice, and no Allie (because that's my BF's daughter) but he is "Roycie" while Alice is still just-plain Alice, occasionally "Al/Owl". Same with Max in that other thread, Maxipad. . . Icky Vicky, Fat Pat, (I feel like I'm naming Garbage Pail Kids).

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My husband has thought of a few this time around. He has vetoed any name that starts with the letter "T" because he thinks the child would be nicknamed "TT" in school. Some names automatically make me think of nicknames. Like my husband has suggested a couple of names that I think are dog names.

Same as you though, if I knew someone growing up with a name that was turned into a rhyme nickname then that name is out. Not many words rhyme with Lily except for Silly, and we already call her silly Lily. The only one I can think of for Amelia is Amelia Badelia, and sometimes we call her that too. When I was in middle school the boys would call me "Lay-Me Aimee" and I didn't understand what it meant at the time.

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Oh, I loved Garbage Pail Kids!! :laughing:

We did consider nicknames for our kids when we named them - and couldn't bring ourselves to pick any names that had a nickname we didn't like b/c no matter how hard we try to keep our childrens' names exactly how we named them, kids often make up nicknames for their friends.

Lennon - Len, Lenny - I *really* hope he stays Lennon, I think it is a really cool name and my Uncle is Lenny and Len (Leonard), so I can't imagine he'd want to go by any of those b/c they are "someone else's" name.

Sullivan - Sully - and he already calls himself this and so do we sometimes (DH more than I do, but his twin brother calls him Sully all of the time) and I like the nickname Sully

Finley - Fin - we occasionally call him Fin, but mostly Finley (twin brother calls him Ninny, which I am sure will stick around as a family nickname b/c we call him Ninny sometimes, too)

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am not very creative because I did not think about this at all. I used to be called Pasta in school because my maiden name rhymed with it and to the kids the maiden name sounded Italian (though it's not and it's actually Portuguese). I think my kids will probably get nicknames due to our last name though.

5. becasquared

BTW, the Original Royce's big brother is Lennon. (My great-great uncle?) :)

I love Sully as a nickname and it's even better now because of the pilot.

And Lay-me Aimee! Oh, that's as good as my sister's nick name, "Gamy", which works because she's gay. :lol:

I call you "Nancyfuzzi" in my brain. :)

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I don't think nicknames are isolated to rhyming or being part of ones name - in middle school I was called Bug Eyes (I had these dark frameless glasses that were HUGE of course it was the 80's so it really fit), in HS I was called Oprah because I had dark short curly hair, and I was also called Amoeba...someone also figured out that my maiden name rhymed with Magilla so I was Magilla Palilla for a while....

oh and my HS English teacher used to call me Allilap (Palilla backwards) because there were 3 Amy's in my class - that was seriously the only nickname I could stand!

7. becasquared

No, those are just the "low-lying fruit" ones.

If we were talking based on physical appearances, I was Sasquatch which is not so good for a non-hairy, non-big footed girl's self esteem. :D

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:laughing: When my DH worked for one of the supermarkets, he did some kind of tour with a classroom and showed them behind the scenes of the grocery store...so the kids all wrote him thank you notes and one of them titled it "Dear Mr. Comfort..." so that's what he nicknamed himself.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:rotflmbo: This cracked me up. Sorry. :blush:

We considered alot when we named our kids. I also look at initials. I have worked in a medical field and lots of initials mean things in my head.

10. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We didn't really think about nicknames when we were naming. Not sure what kids will make of it when they get to those ages.

Nolan: We call him Nolie and sometimes Rollin' Nolan.

Meghan: We call her Meggie or Magoo

Liam: We call him Liam Boy or LB.

I was always called Mo, Moe the Monkey (it was a game I had as a kid), or Moey growing up. At some point (I think when I was in my 20s), my brother decided to start calling me Reenie, when that didn't bother me he called me Dreenie (and he really draws out the ee so it's more like Drrreeeeeennnie when he says it ;) ), that name is one that has stuck. My niece was on the phone with her boyfriend (whom I have yet to meet) last week and she told him her Aunt Maureen was there, he said "Which one, Dreenie or Dollface (which the previous mentioned brother calls his wife, so we all do :laughing: ).

11. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

We compromised with both of our names. DH wanted just Drew but I could not name my child after Drew Bledsoe. So we went with Andrew on the condition he would NEVER be Andy. My parents tried that once and I shot it down. Now however, we just call him Drew...I miss Andrew. He also gets called Little Man and Drewcifer, because he is such a handsome devil! Plus at school when they sprinkle holy water on him he sizzles! :laughing:
    Zoe was my idea and I sold it to DH. I wanted to name her Zoe Rose and call her Z Ro. He did not like it. So she is Zoe Elizabeth and when she was two days old she was mad as hell and shaking her head for the bottle and I thought she looked like a baby bird. Now five years later she is just Bird. We also call her Zoelicious and little one, but mainly everyone calls her Bird.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Yes we thought about nicknames and about their initials. But I think kids are creative no matter what you do. Right now we call Ana: Ana B-nana, Miss B, or Ahn (as if her name wasn't short enough!). We call Meara: Meh, Miss Monkey, or Missy.

13. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

Yes but I still liked Reece anyway :laughing:
    I just hope no one calls her greasey reecey

14. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

My husband is a computer teacher at the high school, and one of the system techs thinks it's hilarious that our daughter's initials are RAM. She even calls her Ram most of the time. DH went back to school for teacher certification when the girls were almost 2, though. The coincidence wasn't even on our radar. My nicknames for her are Robie and Row Row Rosalie.

To my inlaws, Ella & my DH have the same initials: EDM. They generally list or name family members by initials.
    Since DH is Edmond III and his dad already had claim to the real initials, they always list him as EDM - but call him Edmond, since his dad is Ed.

I call Ella "Ella Bluebella" all the time, and some of our friends have picked it up, too. When their newborn pictures were taken in the hospital, I kept repeating in my mind "Ella - Blue," since she was wearing a blue dress. The nurses were calling them "A" and "B," or even worse "this one" and "that one," so I was afraid they'd mis-label their pictures.

15. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We totally thought about nicknames, and also initials. DH's last name (we have different surnames) starts with an "S" so names like Alexander Samuel, and Grace Ann were definitely off the table. :laughing:

I didn't have any name-related nicknames as a kid (not a whole lot you can do with Valerie, thank goodness), but I was teased a lot so I really made an effort to give my guys names that aren't easily mocked. Kids can be cruel and tear you up for anything at all; why give them an easy target? :pardon:

16. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

My friend's daughter named her son Fitz. You can imagine what rhymes with that! :rofl:

17. becasquared

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='09 June 2010 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1276097420' post='1647229']
    not a whole lot you can do with Valerie, thank goodness[/quote]

hmmmmm. . .Valerie Celery, Valeria Malaria, yeah, you're right not a whole lot. :laughing:

18. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

My family used to call me Pissy Chrissy :aggressive:

My brother named his daughter Lucy and they call her Loosey Goosey, while cute now it will take on a whole new meaning in high school.

We call the girls stupid names, like Zoe is Zo Zo ba Go Go (do not even ask), Allison is Alli Balli.

Now my old last name was Arkanoff if you have a dirty mind you can only imagine what kids called me :spiteful:

19. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

we considered Richard for my son but a family member said "Tricky Dicky" when he heard the name so we went back to Daniel for a first name with Richard as a middle name.

We never though of other rhyming names when naming our children. I could not even thing of any rhyming words that would go with any of my children's names. We did consider common nick names when naming our children and said we would not use them. Only one of my children goes by a nick name that everyone uses. I do have cute pet names for my children but no one but me uses them and I don't use then in front of other people.

20. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Pfft, "malaria" is a 3 syllable word. The bullies I grew up with couldn't handle any words more complex than "dummy". :p

1 person likes this.
  21. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I'm been thinking and can't come up with much for Jacob - Jake & Joshua - Josh. The only thing that comes to mind is the Tom Hank's movie Bachelor Party with "Jake the Snake". :laughing:

For middle names, my DH thought it would be nice to name them after our Dad's. Except, my Dad is Richard and my last name begins with a K. So one of their initials would have been JRK or Jerk. :rofl:

DH did not think it was that big of a deal but all that kept going through my head is when he (we did not decide on who's middle name would go with who until after they were born) as an adult with his monogram on things. :unknw:

So instead we went with Jacob Irwin (for DH's Dad) and Joshua Gerard (after St. Gerard). My Mom had a very hard time getting pregnant will all of us. She had 6 miscarriages. We are each named after St. Gerard. It took us 5 years and 3 ivf cycles to get pregnant so I felt St. Gerard was a good alternative to my Dad's name.

22. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

Your DH could be EDM squared!!! Sorry could not find the square symbol!

23. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a name that kids CAN'T turn into a derogatory nickname somehow. They're motivated like that.

I'm just worried someone will start calling Trevor "TJ" and it will stick. There are worse things, of course, but I dislike two-letter nicknames.

We did think about potential nicknames, initials, and how the full name sounded together. The nickname that has stuck so far is calling the duo "TNT" because, well, they can make a room look like there's been an explosion in a matter of seconds.

24. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I thought about it alot for all of my kids and with my oldest I decided I would name him Jonathan but didn't want him being called Jon... Well that lasted 4 years until he started soccer--that totally went out the window and he is now usually Jon.

After that I decided that I loved the nicknames so I made sure that they had names I like with cute nicknames to go with them :laughing:
    Jacob -- Jakie the snakey the shakey Jakey (we actually had a full song about it) :laughing:
    Alyssa we call Aly but her twin brother calls her aw-sah, which is just way too cute! My oldest comes up with nicknames for everybody! And he calls her AlyMcbeerz...
    Ethan is mostly called E or Etan or Eemees.

Yes we're strange...
    And I always heard Brigette the midget, it didn't help that I'm only 4'11. :laughing:

25. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

For the Amy/Aimee's here, I have a good one for you. My sister is Amy. My family, especially my mom called her Amelia Bedelia because she was a lot like the character. However one of her friends came up with a doozy, and I still pull it out now and then to needle her----A-my-a-rel-li-es-ca-bel-li(I think the dashes are pretty much where the syllables separate), Amyarelly Escabelly. :silly:

I didnt' think much of nicknames with Andrea. However she did. She told one of her preschool teachers 'My name is Andrea, not Andy' So most of us haven't dared give her a nickname....until my nephew came along. He couldnt' say Andrea and called her Nannan. It stuck. Now we all seem to call her that.

Holly, well its a nickname in itself. My sister calls her Holly Bird, not sure where that came from, but its cute. Cassandra just is a Cassie. And yes I strongly thought about that nickname. I wanted her named Cassie, my xh wanted Sandra (my brother's MIL-who I avoid at all costs, and am barely civil to in family gatherings). I said how about we compromise and call her Cassandra....everyone calls her Cassie. I'm sure come teenage years there will be some names, it happens.

26. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly my girls know a boy named Reece and they call him Reece Cup. I think I have finally got them to stop.

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='09 June 2010 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1276097420' post='1647229']

I didn't have any name-related nicknames as a kid (not a whole lot you can do with Valerie, thank goodness), but I was teased a lot so I really made an effort to give my guys names that aren't easily mocked. Kids can be cruel and tear you up for anything at all; why give them an easy target? :pardon:
    [/quote]

There was a girl I went to high school with and she was large, some of the kids called her Valerie Calorie.

27. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My husband wanted to name Orion Iccarus. I said no way would I have an Icky Baby & then said Orion was fine.

28. becasquared

You could have had Icky SeaBass!!

My favorite! :lol: (I have to say I like Orion better.)

29. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I wasn't worried about nicknames for the kids first names because their last name rhymes with lazy and crazy. They are already doomed. I could have named them the coolest names on the planet, it really didn't matter.

30. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Sort of. Not like the ones you listed, but I specifically picked names that don't just automatically get shortened, like Abigail to Abby. I have a friend whose DH is like you and vetoed tons of names for the same kinds of reasons. He came up with things I'd never think of as bad nicknames and reasons not to choose a name. Then they named a child Tucker. Um... I like to think I have a clean mind, but even I can come up with a bad one for that. :crazy:

31. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The girsl are Razzy Jazzy and Messy Jessy. However they nn my sister Whitnei into Yea-Yea

32. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Yep, Max was almost Reese however our last name is pronounced Ray. So Reese Ray would have been a real tongue twister and we figured playground teasing. That is actually why Max's full name is Maxwell because we were hoping to avoid some terrible nicknames.

33. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

yeah, we did think about this, but didn't think hard enough. baby A is Ivana (pronounced EE-vah-nah), but people always say I-VAH-nah. and dh INSISTED they have - not a middle *name* - but a middle initial... P...so...
    I Vanna Pee. great.

34. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

:rotflmbo:

35. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I actually have a friend called Lucy Goozee (that is her last name) she is Lucy Goosey no way about it, has been the whole time I have known her since kindergarten :)

ETA: Although in high school the crude people called her loosey goosey.