Do you think college is necessary

Discussion in 'General' started by Christel, Jun 28, 2010.

?

Do you think a college degree is necessary for a good life in todays world?

1. yes

66 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. no

22 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. other

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Just curious how everyone feels about college in general. DH and I don't think college is necessary, although we will be happy for them if they choose a profession that needs it. We actually think college is a waste of time and money in a lot of cases.

We also put more emphasis on post-secondary education for our sons than our daughters (I know, how old-fashioned). We are raising our daughters to be homemakers and our sons to support their families.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think there are many variations of a good life. For my ideal life, yes college would be an absolute must. But my children's ideal life might be different than my interpretation. I hope that they will choose to go to college and to pick a profession that requires at least a bachelors degree, but I know that it's not my decision at that point. I can encourage them to go, just as I can encourage them to not have sex before they're married, eat their vegetables before dessert, but who knows.

Regardless, I'll be proud of them if they're not in jail. <--high hopes right? :lol:

I do feel that girls need more encouragement in order to thrive in some of the more male dominated fields, like medicine, physics, rocket-scientists. Just like a boy might need more encouragement to go into a more female dominated field, like nursing or education. But no matter what, I will encourage them to follow their dreams.

My husband is surprisingly not on the same page as me. He doesn't care if they even graduate high school. :shok: This is one thing that I refuse to budge on (graduating HS) and he understands the importance to me. And yes, I do feel that with everyone and their brother getting degrees, it makes AA and bachelors degrees just extended high school, and for that reason alone I think that my children should be in college. Make sure that they get the advantage of going to college, if not an actual advantage, at least NOT having a disadvantage. (Not to mention the fact that I want Alice to be a doctor like I should have been.)

3. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I think as long as they have ambitions and a way to support themselves, I don't care what they choose to do. I'd love for them to have college degrees and make tons of money to support me in my lavish retirement but overall, like Beca said, I want them to stay out of jail and I'll be happy! lol I think a degree program is just fine; it gives them a skill. We're already talking with our oldest dd about her favorite subject, science. I've explained to her about the more male dominated fields and how she's more likely to get a scholarship going for one of those degrees as a girl with great science background. We'll see where it goes.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i don't think college is for everyone - if my children are happy in their chosen life/profession without having had to go to college, than i would be fine with that. if they're miserable and some college education would be the what was needed to change things, i'd be annoyed that they weren't pursuing it but i wouldn't be disappointed.

i am definitely not a subscriber to the a-college-degree-any-college-degree is worth it philosophy. i think college is only useful as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this. If my children were happier pursuing a trade, then I would be fine with that. I truly do believe that college is not for everyone and some people are not ready for it right out of high school...so as long as my kids were productive members of society, I would happy. For my own personal satisfaction, I would like to see them go to college but in the end it is going to be their choice.

6. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. I have a fancy college degree that I spent a ton of money on (still paying it back) and I'm not doing anything with it. My job doesn't require my degree.

As long as it's legal, moral and they can pay their bills, I'll be fine with whatever they choose, whether it requires college or not.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Nancy. I don't think college is necessary. I tend to look to my brother-who was NOT a school type kid. He barely got by in high school(in comparison to my sister and I), and dropped out of college. Well-now he is a self-made millionaire and living the good life. He still talks about going back to school, as having a degree next to his name would be a good thing(especially in his field), but he has yet to do so.

DH and I have high hopes and dreams for our kids-that they all go to college, get scholarships, athletic, etc. HOWEVER-if that's not in the cards for them-so be it. We will support them in their decisions. Mostly-I want my kids to be happy. In the end-that's what it all comes down to.

8. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I struggle with this question. I didn't finish college. Even if I had, that degree would be pretty worthless for getting a job that I could support the family on if something happened to dh. I don't think that music performance is high on the employment list. Honestly, if something happened to dh, I'm not sure what I would do. We keep quite a bit of life insurance and only a small house debt. I could probably go get enough credits to substitute teach and live carefully and be okay till the kids were out of high school. But as to being able to have a career, I'm not sure.

Part of the reason I struggle, is that the things I'm good at don't really need a degree to say you're good at them. I'm good at organizing (back-up plan B is start an organizing business). I'm good at mending and fixing clothes and dolls. I can take an American Girl doll apart and restring it and put the hair back to looking like new. I can garden and cook and do hand-stitching. But, it's hard to make a career or a degree out of any of that.

So I'm not sure. I honestly hope that each of the kids can find something they love to do. If it requires a degree, I hope they get it. If it require apprenticeships and hands-on learning, I hope they get it. I hope they find some way to support themselves.

Marissa

9. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

Higher level education is very important in my family - it is a goal unto itself - so I will do my best to make sure my girls finish college & most likely grad school. It would be hard in their father's family if they were not very motivated....their uncle graduated with honors from an Ivy League school with dual majors....he was considered a huge emabarrasing disappointment until he was accepted to med school - that motivated him to redeem himself by earning a dual med school/law school degree. If Ivy League graduate is not enough.....I think skipping college would freak the entire paternal side of the family out. I will raise my girls with the expectation that you will go to college, you will do your best to earn a graduate degree & if you want a career that does not require college...you can choose that once Mom has your diploma in hand.

I understand that these are my goals & my girls happiness is of paramount importance to me.....but I will shoot for the moon & pray for a soft landing.

2 people like this.
  10. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

:woah: Education in girls is extremely important, even if they will "only" be homemakers. Everything about running a household is just as difficult, if not more so, than traditional careers. Financial planning, balancing the family's budget, homeschooling if necessary/desired, organizing the household, getting involved in the community: all of these require skills, especially critical thinking skills, that are developed during college.

Having said that, I want my guys to get post-secondary education, but that doesn't always involve college. My brother is an auto mechanic, but he does have a degree from a certified trade school. Plumbers, electricians, etc make more money when certified, which requires apprenticeships and classwork and written exams. While education doesn't guarantee a good living, your chances are much better. I've heard the statistics that those with a BA will earn $1 million more over their lifetime than someone with a high school diploma.

10 people like this.
  11. Christel

I never said "only" as if homemaker is something less than a "real" career. But I still don't think it's something that requires gobs of $$ and time wasted. Obviously, my dh and I think it's the highest possible calling.

12. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I am a SAHM, and I have a degree. No one benefits more from my degree than my children do, and I don't even homeschool. To me the education is an end unto itself--for women and men--and well worth every minute and penny invested. I am absolutely better able to raise my children because I have an education and am prepared for the many, many questions my children have asked, and the many interests they have pursued over the years. I did not waste a cent on it, even though I have never used it toward a career, except for about 3 years early on.

That said, I do not think college is for everyone. For some people a trade makes more sense. Not everyone has a scholarly bent like I do. My oldest, a son, is interested in nursing, but with the financial collapse his college fund did not survive well enough for him to go to college straight out of high school. He has enlisted in the military. They have excellent educational benefits, and he will additionally get job training through them while he serves. This is another excellent option for both males and females who don't quite feel ready for college straight out of high school. (You wouldn't think it from my post, btw, but I am as liberal as they come. ;))

6 people like this.
  13. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Great post!

My college degrees comes into play every day. My psychology degree helps me to understand why my son behaves the way he does and helps me find strategies to help him, as do my elementary and special education degrees! They allowed me to volunteer in my son's class when the teacher had no help otherwise to teach the children.

Post secondary education is very important!

2 people like this.
  14. rissakaye

This is the attitude that I was raised with. And because of that, I honestly feel like my parents did me, my sister and my brother a disservice. My parents bent over backwards to make sure that my brother had scholarships, lived at home, and never had to lift a finger so he could get a degree. It's come back to bite them because instead of moving out when he got married, his wife moved in because he had never been out on his own with my parents making sure that their boy had a degree.

Me and my sister were informed in high school that my parents would not be paying for us to get a 4 year degree. Since we were girls we didn't need the education in their minds. My sister has struggled through being married to someone who has alot of health problems. She got her teaching certificate so they could have insurance because no insurance company wants to touch him. She has a steady job because sometimes her dh can't work. He was just off of work for 3 weeks due to health problems. They have chosen not to have kids because of his health problems. If she didn't have her education they would have medical debt beyond belief and would have had no income at various times.

I don't have my degree. I am a homemaker. I think it's a wonderful thing to do and honestly, I have no desire for a job outside of the home at this moment. Dh and I both firmly agree that I should be a sahm while the kids are home and of the age to need constant childcare. But like I said in my previous post, I sometimes play the what-if game. What if my dh is in an accident on the way home from work tonight? What if he dies accidentally in a hunting accident? How do I support these kids? We are quite well insured and I can manage money quite well, but what about my retirement in that case? Not having my education definitely gives me pause.

And for the record, I have considered going back to school. I've thought the time for me to start would be when the kids are late elementary/middle school age. Our teachers love having parents in the classroom, helping, listening to kids read, and just being a part of the education of the kids. I want to be a part of their education more than taking care of my own right now.

Marissa

2 people like this.
  15. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My MIL is a homemaker, always has been. But she still went to college and got a degree, and that was back in the day! I asked her once if she regretted all that hard work and she said never!

My college years, as an undergrad and a grad student, made me who I am today as an adult. I wouldn't trade that for anything. I want my son and daughter to have those same experiences and opportunities I had.

16. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Making sure our kids get a college education is very important to DH and I. Like Kate mentioned, those college years shaped who we have became and we want our kids to have those same experiences, not just "a degree."

I think demographics play a big role in some of the responses here.. but at the company I work for you won't even get an interview if you don't have a bachelor's degree. I really think not encouraging your kids to get a post-secondary education (be it a BA, BS or Technical certificate, etc..) is really doing them a dis-service.

2 people like this.
  17. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

We do feel college (and hopefully grad school) is a necessity for our own children. There is no option of going or not. Thankfully, they are all highly motivated, high achievers academically so it's not even a question for them. (And I have one about to be a sophomore in college.) Not only do we think it is necessary in the world we live in for them to be college educated, I think college in and of itself is a learning experience. It's that netherworld between the cocoon of home and the big wild world "out there." It's a time for growth, self-exploration, learning to be self-sufficient, etc., as well as a time for learning a profession. In our world, these are all highly valuable things.

The boys' focus right now is all about school. Sean is still undeclared as far as his major, but he is leaning towards marketing with an information system management concentration, and a German minor. However, he still really loves biology too, so he may go for a double major. Since he graduated high school with over 21 college credits, he has the leeway in four years time to pursue some "extra" classwork. :good: He would like to eventually get an MBA. At least that is the current plan. But who knows on what path his education will take him? Brian and Craig will be sophomores in high school. Brian already knows he wants to have a double major in business and music. He has lofty plans to work for Gibson guitars in Nashville when he graduates college and I think he just may do it! Craig wants to be an attorney which suits him well since he can argue his way out of anything!! (Of course, to get a reaction, he has also said he wants to be a plastic surgeon so he can perform breast augmentations. Hey, he's 16!! :lol: )

However, I don't necessarily think that college is the only option for everyone. If a child has no interest in school, but wants to learn a trade of some sort at a technical school, I think that is valuable as well. As long as they are receiving training of some value for a career, I think it's fine. You have to know your individual child. But you know, we need tradesmen too. We need carpenters, plumbers, firemen, policemen, construction workers, etc. Not everyone is meant for college and there are other options out there where a child can learn a skill which will earn him a good living.

Now to the point of whether I think a college education is more important for a man than a woman, no of course I don't. Women have to be able to support themselves too!! Not only in the event they never marry or marry later in life, but also as a form of security for the future. If something happens to a woman's husband, and she has a career on which she can survive and raise a family on her own if need be, imo, that is power and security. So I think it equally as important for a girl to attend college (or learn a trade) as it is a boy.

That being said, I was a homemaker (with a college degree!) for 17 years. Greatest career of my life!! But I was able to get my current job now in part because of the degree I earned in college. Additionally, I think having a college degree has been important in raising my children, even if I never used it in the working world again. I believe I used my education every day while home with my children in some fashion.

A minor point, but also one I didn't want to ever deny my kids either, is that DH and I both look back on our college years with fond memories. It was honestly one of the best times in my life, to be sort of on my own, pursuing my interests, etc., in a safe environment. I made lifelong friendships there and we have the best time getting together every few years. It's one of the most treasured times of my life. Oh, yeah, and I did meet DH there too. :wub: Bonus!!

1 person likes this.
  18. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

SO true! But for a slightly different reason for me as college was incredibly difficult. I was a big fish in a little pond in HS and then I went off to a fancy ivy league college where everyone was like me only BETTER. But this was a really special and important time for me to figure out who I was, who I wanted to be, what I thought about lots of things (not just the in-class stuff, but the big and little life issues too). I wouldn't trade those 4 years for all the world as they really did make me who I am now. I got knocked down a couple of notches off the throne I was sitting on in HS, and it was all for the best :D

So I think it goes without saying that I will without a doubt encourage my girls to go to college. But if they decide school isn't for them, or they want to pursue a more non-conventional (in my eyes) path, then I will support them in any way I can.

Now to answer your question, do I think college is for everyone- No! I've taught college kids and I can tell you that many of those students should not have been there. They didn't want to be there, they didn't want to do the work, they didn't have the motivation it takes to get through the material, etc. Thats not to say that with some maturity that wouldn't change for them, but at that moment in their lives, college was not money well spent. I had a couple of non-conventional (older) students who totally ROCKED and were there for all the right reasons. I'm not sure what their future plans were for the degree, but like many pp's said, I think the education is a goal unto itself. Of course I might be a bit biased since I'm a female university professor ;)

2 people like this.
  19. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

This is hard for me to answer, because I was raised by college professors and the idea of not going to college was never discussed. It was a given. We were also raised by conservative Christians who had many friends with the same feelings about education as the OP. My parents, having three girls and no boys, refused to teach us that our calling was as homemakers If anything, they taught us the opposite: that we should not assume we would be married, have children and settle sweetly into domestic life. They wanted to be sure their girls would be able to take care of themselves. Not everyone gets married and has kids. They also taught us that we were equal to men. Completely.

My feelings for my kids is that though college will not be forced, it will be highly encouraged. Maybe not college, but some sort of schooling past high school. If they chose to go to the police academy, trade school, etc.. that is fine, but they need to do something. As an educator, I know that college isn't for everyone. My oldest is smart as a whip, but does not learn in a traditional setting. I can see him going to a computer trade school and doing well. I am fine with that.

I feel that my responsibility is to help my children succeed in life as best I can. They will fall, make mistakes and have to pick themselves up. I want them to go through some of that. However, I also want to me sure that they have the tools they need to make it on their own, and their gender certainly does not dictate their need for schooling or independence.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I think it's a lot more required now than it used to be. And without it, or some sort of technical expertise, it's much harder to support yourself and family. I know a number of people who have gone through trade programs and have good careers. I don't think college is for everyone. Some very intelligent people are not good "book learners" but more hands-on types. But it's important to have education or training in something.

As for it being more important for boys than girls, no way! Even with my very conservative views on things, I think that college was one of the most important decisions I made for myself. I have a masters degree, that some would argue is unused. But I use things I learned, as I raise my family. I use much of my education, as well as the increased ability/skills to research and study in homeschooling my own children (though I don't believe it's necessary to have a degree to homeschool), and I have the pieces of paper that helped me get a good job before I got married and could help me again if it became necessary for me to go back to work for whatever reason. But I also think that once you're done with a degree, there's no reason to stop learning and growing.

1 person likes this.
  21. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

As a community college professor, I must say I place a high value on a college education. I actually classify technical degrees, or 'trades' education as college degrees. I think a good liberal arts degree (even an AA) is necessary in today's technical world. Homemakers are citizens and should be educated enough to be good voters. People are asked to vote on increasingly scientific issues, without a solid education in a good base of information people are robbed of the ability and background on which to base good voting decisions. My students frequently tell me that they learn things in my class that have changed how they process news and information about political candidates, even when their views differ from mine. My husband and I both have graduate degrees from Ivy League Universities, so really not going to college is not an option. I also agree with Mama Kim, we learn things in college that have nothing to do with the classroom.

I also feel very strongly that education empowers women. In fact there are quite a few studies that show the quickest way to improve conditions in the developing world, including decreasing the number of children born in poverty, is to educate women. Even women who get married, have children, and are homemakers, can find themselves without a husband for any number of reasons, and without some post-secondary education they may not be able to find a job that will support their families, and that is a tragedy.

1 person likes this.
  22. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I think college depends on the person. I went for one month because it was a requirement for me to live at home. I hated it and dropped out and moved out. I have actually gone on to make more money than half of my friends that have gone to school. I do believe that college is important but I also believe that on the job skilld matters much for many jobs as well. For banking I feel you can learn so much more working in the field than you can going to college. But to be a doctor of course you need schooling.

23. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

exactly how do you raise your girls to be homemakers? I learned to cook, clean, sew and also fix small things around the house from both of my parents, theoretically I can change oil in a car (although I don't know that I'd get the oil filter off), and change a tire - that said I also know how to balance a check book, I sort of suck at budgeting but thats partially because at one point I was SO broke there was no such thing as a budget - it was just basic survival, and at other points (like now) we live comfortably - but if I had to budget I could...BUT there was also an expectation that I was going to college to get a degree - my mom worked all my life and that experience alone taught me so much of how to be...

there isn't anything wrong with being a homemaker - I'm sort of one now since I've been off work since April due to health issues - but to be raised to be a homemaker...I don't think thats the wisest choice...at least pursue a technical skill or certification of some sort - what if your girls don't find a husband at 18 or 19 when they graduate - then what...they live at home with no other skills to better themselves or live on their own until their prince rides up on his steed...

I don't care what kind of post-secondary education my kids pursue - whether it be a technical program, bachelors degree, military or med/law school - in today's world (which was different than when I went to college nearly 20 years ago) the minimum wage jobs will be the only ones available...

2 people like this.
  24. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

I could just ditto Kim. She said it all so very well.

My kids will be expected to go to college and get at least one degree, more if they want it. If college turns out not to be the right place for them, we will encourage them to go to a trade school or some post HS degree program to set themselves up in a career. But a college degree is the expected goal. The education beyond the basics you learn to get through HS is invaluable, teaches you real thinking skills. Allows you to learn things at an age when you can start to see real life situations, to put history into living perspective, to apply finance and science to your daily life. There's so much more to college than just education that is just as important. A real life experience, learning to be independent while still having some family cushion.

As for the notion that girls should be less encouraged than boys to attend college, all I can say is balderdash! (I've always wanted to use that word!) Being a homemaker is a very important job, and should be highly valued. But, in these times, it's a rarity, a luxury, and, all too often, a trap. I want my DD to be able to support herself, her family, her spouse, if necessary. I want her to experience life outside the home first. To learn to be an indepdant, contributing member of society on her own first. To have confidence in herself and her abilities outside of the home as well as in the home. I want her to be able to offer the full value of her education to her children, the same way I do for mine. In short, I want her to have the same opportunities as her brother. As I did. My parents never treated me any differently than my brothers, nor expected any less. The same is true for my DH and his sister. And for our mothers, both of whom have bachelor degrees.

Can you do very well without a degree? Yes, but it's rare. The statistics prove that. My brother never did get his degree, though he went for a while, he never really made an honest effort. He went to work for my parents. After several years of hard employment, they are talking about selling the business to my brother when my parents retire. He earned that spot with many years on the job and hard work; and a LOT of luck (where would he be without my parents??). It can be done. But it's so much harder.

That is what's true for our family. If your family has different values, that's OK. You decide what is right for you.

4 people like this.
  25. Mama_Kim

Thank you! And I gave you a point for your use of the word 'balderdash' in conversation! :D

26. Christel

I have been loving this discussion!!!!! I realized after I wrote it that my statements about daughters would raise some eyebrows. That's ok, we're comfortable in how we are raising our family and you are in yours. I'm just going to link to a post that says how I feel much better than I can: / Why a Homekeeper

I also understand the worry about what-ifs, backup plans, no husbands, etc. Fortunately for our daughters, they have several back-up systems in place; their brothers, their family, their church. No doubt that will raise even more eyebrows, lol. If we were Amish, would you question it?

We love learning in our house, and think it's very important. We just don't think the degree aspect is important for homekeepers. I'm taking 3 classes from MIT's open courseware right now; my 12 yo is working his way through a civil war class at Yale.

27. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

So I'm curious, what happens if one of your daughters grows up and turns out to be an Atheist, or Gay, or just doesn't want children, maybe doesn't want to get married, or they do get married, they have kids, then they lose there partner for some reason, why should their brothers have to take the responsibility for supporting them? What if something tragic happens and they end up with no family?

I'm sorry to say it, but in this day and age raising anybody with the expectation that they will be able to be a homekeeper and have someone else support them financially strikes me as downright irresponsible. More and more you need a college education to get any kind of decent job and people are getting married later and later, with no way of predicting how life is going to turn out everybody should be encouraged to do the best they can to prepare for having to support themselves, just in case.

5 people like this.
  28. Christel

It sounds like what you believe works for your family. That's great. I would say that our idea of a "decent job" is probably different than yours. You can never predict how life will truly turn out. That being said, we all raise our kids to be prepared as it fits our own value systems. We don't raise them the opposite of what we believe, obviously. Just because you don't agree doesn't make it irresponsible. Our value system is such that in the community of believers men and women have God given roles and we do our best to be prepared inside those roles.

If something happened and our daughters needed to support themselves financially, we don't believe the absence of a college education will stop that.

29. Mama_Kim

It won't stop that but it certainly won't help her along either. As I said, being a homemaker is admirable and noble. I was one for 17 years full-time and it was thoroughly rewarding. I do, however, feel it isn't necessarily in the best interests of a daughter (or a son) to not encourage education. Of course, you are entitled to raise your family as you see fit, and if it works for you, and you and your daughters are pleased with your decisions, it's really none of my business. I am curious though on what your daughters will do if they never meet "Mr. Right" or even "Mr. Close Enough" and they never get married.

Additionally, what if one of your daughters has a burning desire to go to college and become a doctor or a biologist or business woman or teacher? Will you actively discourage them from doing so?

30. Christel

Well, I answered that I don't think college is necessary in the poll, so of course I don't agree that they will have a more difficult time without it. :) But my dh does not have a degree and we are contentedly raising 7 kids on his salary. I have mine and don't feel that it has helped me at all.

As for if one of the girls really really wanted to go to college and have a career? Honestly, I don't know. Of course we would still love them and accept them and their decisions into our family. I don't know how you tread the line when your kids do things you don't approve of once they are old enough to give you no say.

31. rubyturquoise

To me there is a big difference between not thinking a degree is necessary and "not approving of" having a degree/career.

To answer the question: if you come down hard against something an adult child is passionate about, it will damage the relationship. It is better to respect the choice, even if you disagree. It's okay to say, "Well, this isn't my first choice for you, but I wish you every success." We do not control the future, even if we try to control our children into their adulthood.

4 people like this.
  32. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I have raised my boys and will do the girls the same way to know that college is no option. My dh does not have a degree and we have 5 kids and are comfortable. HOWEVER the jobs like my dh has are becoming a thing of the past. I also want all 5 of my kids to have jobs they WANT, not jobs they have to have. I want my kids to have the easiest adulthood possible and having that degree to fall back on even if they do not use it cannot do anything but help. Boys/Girls no difference.

If you do not think that degree has helped, what if (heaven forbid) something happened to your dh and you had to make a living for 7 kids? you may be glad you have it then!

I will give you an example of jobs like my dh's becoming a thing of the past. My dh works at an auto company. They are trying to get rid of the guys who make a good living and have insurance and when they do they are replacing them with guys who will only make $14 per hourand will have NO insurance. They are also sending a lot of work out of the country. We face constant worry that the plant will close and what will happen then? we moved once, how many times will they move us before all of the jobs are gone? If my dh had even a technical skill degree under his belt we would be in better shape. When he got this job we were secure - no worries at all. 12 yrs later it is ALL worry.

1 person likes this.
  33. rissakaye

I read the article posted. I'm from that culture and background of a woman being a homemaker is the ultimate goal. I do agree that homemaking and being a sahm is a very important, biblical role for a woman. But I can think of 3 families within our extended family who also believe that. And they are digging themselves into financial hardships and debt because the wife will not even take a part-time job. Two of those families have no children. In the other family, the wife has a skill she went to school for and could practice at night or out of her home (beautician) but she refuses so they have lived entirely off of student loans for multiple years. Where I have trouble is when the homemaker idea starts trumping the idea of working to partially support the family. In Proverbs 31:16 it talks about the worthy woman's earnings. In 31:24 she's selling things for support. I do agree with the idea of a homemaker. But I disagree that a woman who is a homemaker shouldn't have an education or skilled training because she shouldn't need to support herself or her family.

Marissa

1 person likes this.
  34. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

When my oldest DS asks what comes after 12th grade, we say college. School is finished when college (or vocational school) is finished.

1 person likes this.
  35. rubyturquoise

OT, but Jori, great avi!