S/O When people say...

Discussion in 'General' started by efmolly, Jul 22, 2010.

1. efmolly

efmolly Well-Known Member

What words do you always hear used incorrctly? I HATE when people use a adjective instead of a adverb. Example " The ballet recital went beautiful (not beautifuly)." I can't stand that most people pronounce the word foyer (foi-yer) and not (foi-yea).

2. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

I grew up in Pittsburgh, not "Picsburg".

3. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Loose/lose annoy me, but I see them used incorrectly so often that I am beginning to think I have it wrong! From what I understand: The blouse is loose, you lose your keys! I seen something bothers me too, but I regularly use ya'll in writing and when talking so I don't have much room to talk!

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

can I axe you a question?

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Irregardless

2 people like this.
  6. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

That's funny, because it's like nails on a chalkboard to me when someone pronounces it (foi-yea). It's sounds so snobbish, to me, that way.

7. mkcondrey

mkcondrey Well-Known Member

When people end questions or sentences with a preposition: Where's he at? (Grrr!) And, when people use "good" and "well" incorrectly. Ex: How are you? I'm doing good. (instead of I'm doing well). "Good" is an adjective; "Well" is an adverb.

8. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Prolly. UG! And it's even worse when people actually type that instead of probably. Do they really think that's a word? Along with that are "libary" and "samwich."

And foyer is one of those words that has multiple acceptable pronunciations: foyer at dictionary.com

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Ain't - that word makes me crazy!

Misuse of the following words in the written word make me cringe:

their/there/they're

your/you're

except/accept

10. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I can't answer this thread because I am SO guilty of saying things wrong/different .. not because I don't know any better .. but because it's part of my personality. I use ain't and prolly ALL the time .. as well as OMG .. and puter and fo sho. Eh ... it's all good !

Oh wait .. THIS drives me crazy .... I just copy and pasted this from my facebook .. its a post by my niece ..

"mayb this is wat happwna when a torndao hits a valcano...."

What is that ?? I see this all the time from others too ! She graduated from HS and isn't a dumb person .. I just don't get it.

11. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

Supposably.

Double negatives. Drive. Me. Nuts. (DS preschool teacher taught him these. Still untraining a year later with little success).

Kid's school director: Cattle-pillars (did you know they moo?) and crystal-ises (they sparkle!)

There's more, but my brain is dead.

And I say foy-er.

ETA: As editor-in-chief of a quarterly market outlook publication, I have forbidden the word impacted. "The drop in scrap prices has impacted the price of plate." Teeth and bowels can be impacted. Steel markets, not so much. Technically, it can be used that way, but I think it just sounds bad.

Also, as a mathematician, I do not like the current use of mirrors as a trend that looks the same as another. "The nickel market mirrors the copper market." To me, mirrors means opposite. Makes me stop and really consider what they want to say. I get a lot of flack about this, because it is commonly used meaning the same trend. But to me, it's ambiguous, and should be avoided.

12. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

I hate when people say "acrosst" or "acrossed"- I don't know how to spell it because IT'S NOT A WORD! "Across" is a word, though!

13. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

That's the one I was going to say. My FIL, whom I love dearly, uses this all. the. time. Drives me crazy

14. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have students who will write that someone has "past away." No, they passed away.

I'll come back and revisit thread later when I'm checking papers. I'll have a laundry list of common errors.

15. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

My girls say this!!! :crazy: Honestly, I don't know where they get it. I do ask them to say it the right way and they just can't yet. It's so emabarassing. :laughing:

Oooh yes, this drives me nuts!

This one is nails on a chalkboard to me. :( (Not picking on YOU because you said it, just highlighting because a lot of people say it and using you as an example!) My SIL's mother was in a motorcycle accident and is 50 years old now living in an assisted living facility because she will never live on her own again because of her brain function limits. So when people say this it definitely bothers me.

Another one that drives me nuts...should of or would of. Ummm...it's would HAVE or should HAVE people. I don't know why, but I've seen a lot of it from some on my FB friends list right now.

16. AlphaBeta

I'm truly sorrry for your sister's MIL. I bet you hear it a lot though, and is probably very grating each time. Having gone through Alzheimer's with my grandmother, and currently with my FIL, I understand what you must be feeling. Obviously, the phrase does not bring out the same feelings for me, but sorry to have scraped my nails down your chalkboard.

17. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

"that's gay"

should of, instead of should have

then, instead of than

drownded instead of drowned

1 person likes this.
  18. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How about "flustrated?" Are they flustered or frustrated?

19. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This isn't really a speech thing for me, I'm sure I've committed a couple of these offenses :blush: but the thing that grates me is when something is to be spelled with an 's' on the end it's replaced by a 'z' (i.e. kidz).

20. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Thank you for apologizing, but there's really no need. :hug: I was not upset with you just using you as my example. :hug:

Oh yes!! That's another.

So I never noticed the past/passed thing when refering to someone passing away...until this morning. I went onto a group on FB and a bunch of people were talking about someone I went to middle school with that "past". Yikes!

21. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

There are too many to post!! Irregardless, there/their/they're, your/you're, etc all bug me like crazy. Down here people interchange sell and sale and I want to smack them! You SELL something at a yard SALE. You do not ever have a yardSELL. Oy! To show just how much of a grammar geek I can be, my sister and I had a long running Facebook post about how the A's is a ridiculous name for a team because the apostrophe makes it possessive. A's what? See? :laughing:

Disclaimer: Just because these things annoy the bejeezus outta me doesn't mean I don't make errors or type "lingo". These are just things that bug me when I see them. Rarely does the error leave a lasting impression about the person that used/made it. Only once has that happened. On another mom site someone posted the thread title "bought life insurance for yourselfs or your kids". Yes, she really typed yourselFs and meant it that way (she did it again in the body of the post). That has stuck with me for some reason. Yes I'm a dork. :FIFblush:

22. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

oh boy. My mother was an English teacher, so many of these things really bug me, so I'll limit it to the top 5.

"FebRuary", not "Febooary"
    "LibRary", not "Libary"
    "Your" vs "you're", if you can't figure out which version to use, don't use the contraction and spell it out.
    Another vote for "Flusterated"
    Miscellaneous apostrophes, especially at the grocery store. Apple's $.99

23. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

Sometimes my MIL will say "how are yous doing?" instead of (obviously) "how are you doing?" or "how are you all doing?". It makes me laugh every time I hear it!

24. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh, how I hate the word ain't. I just think it makes people sound uneducated.

All of your other examples bug me, too.

Other examples: yous (hi, the plural of you is, you guessed it, you!), prolly, irregardless, saying "I seen" instead of "I saw", using the word learn/ed instead of teach or taught.

I'm sure there are lots more. I will have to think about it a bit.

25. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard that. Or if I did, I just chalked it up to one of those moments when you have a brain sneeze and you're thinking of 2 words and they come out mixed together.

This is another one that I think might be regional, or something. I've heard that, but I think only on TV or a movie.

26. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

congradulations instead of congratulations

I am not a perfect speller by any means, but for some reason that one bugs me.

27. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

"Nucular" instead of "nuclear".

And this isn't a spoken thing, but it drives me crazy when people misuse quotation marks, especially in signs. e.g. Lemons on "special" today! (They're not really on special they're just on :db: special :db: ).

28. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Everyone has posted some really good ones.
    I think someone using brought, instead of bought bothers me the most. i.e. "I just brought a new tv" No, you BOUGHT a tv.
    It also drives me crazy when people misuse the their/there/they're and your/you're.
    I also dont understand why people shorten words by one letter or use the 'z' instead of 's'. I have noticed that a lot on FB and it is really irritating. As in a pp, why would you type "mayb" instead of maybe. Its one letter different! lol
    Oh, and another typographical irritation is when people randomly make letters in the middle of their woRdS CaPitaL LikE tHiS. I dont get it.

I correct people a lot when they are speaking.. Oh! When people say conversate, instead of Converse, that drives me crazy too. :)

29. Deb C

Deb C Well-Known Member

Saying something like that don't work. It should be that doesn't work. Drives me nuts!

liberry instead of library
    warsh instead of wash

My husband says "back in the day" a lot. Drives me bonkers! I know there are other things he says that bothers me, but I can't think of any at the moment.

A little off topic, but it really bothers me when someone says back slash or forward slash. Maybe it's just that I have to really think about which is which and usually get it wrong. But it only really matters when you are online, right? LOL

30. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

:good: :bad: :rotflmbo:

ETA: Asked my hubby's opinion of people who pronounce ti "foi-yea" and he said "your sister." I love her but she is pretentious!!!

31. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

Back slash is primarily a computer symbol but saying backslash and forward slash is perfectly correct. I always say back slash and forward slash because in most cases where I use the term, it is very important which one I mean.

32. AlphaBeta

Valentimes. I've even heard a florist say this incorrectly.

Might could've. (together, as a phrase)

33. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

"Very unique". Something is either unique or not.

34. blessed momma

blessed momma Well-Known Member

Many of these bother me also, but I think 'I seen' bothers me the most.

35. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

Rather then, instead of rather than.
    Different than, instead of different from.
    Your instead of you're.
    Should/could of, instead of should/could have.
    Off of, instead of just off.
    And, it's nuclear, not nucular.