Does it matter to you?

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Aug 20, 2010.

?

Let's say Obama is Muslim, do you care about his religious affiliation?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    80.5%
  3. Other and explain

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So I was thinking, would it really matter if he was Muslim? Athiest? Christian? Assuming there were no lies or dishonesty associated with his spiritual "coming out."

Frankly, I don't care if he is or isn't, religion or lack of religion, isn't that big of a deal to me and I respect his vagueness, The US is founded on separation of church and state (remember the Anglican Church?), it was one of the main reasons that immigrants came to the US. It was neglected in the original constitution but the founding fathers found it so important that it was part of the first amendment--right along free speech and free press.

1 person likes this.
  2. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Is s/he a scientologist like Nancy Cartwright or like Tom Cruise? If he can do his job and keep it to himself, fine. If s/he's going to be out there making statements that possibly endanger people's mental health because they now feel uncomfortable pursuing appropriate treatment, then that's a problem.

As long as the POTUS doesn't feel God is talking directly to him/her, why would I care? And my concern in the case of the direct conversations has to do with mental health. ("God told me we had to bomb China." This is what I mean by "talking directly.")

3 people like this.
  3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

As long as he can do his job (and he can!) and keep the separation of church and state while doing so, I don't care one iota what religion, if any, he practices. His business, not mine.

I honestly don't get why people would care if he was Muslim. Aren't Muslims people too? But I get all these creepy emails (from a cousin) stating that Obama is a Muslim as if it's some scary thing to be a Muslim. :rolleyes: Ignorance, plain and simple. YOu know, I really wish people would at least try and see things from another POV. Do they ever stop to think that for some people being a Christian might be a "scary" thing?

2 people like this.
  4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I don't care about his religious affiliation, but if he's a scientologist, I might care a litte. But that is because I'm a psychologist and see scientologists as my arch enemies :laughing: :tomato:

3 people like this.
  5. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Bex, I thought posting something similar but was too lazy. :D

I voted NO NO NO & NO, but I do agree with this:

I don't understand why some people think religious association (in particular Christian) is some type of guarantee of good character or a way of "knowing what you're getting". There are plenty of examples of "good Christians" committing horrible crimes, from Melissa Huckaby to Scott Roeder a slew of Catholic priests. Gov Sanford and many other politicians whose affairs became public scandals are "known" to be Christians. Sorry folks, just because someone is a regular church attender of _________ (fill in the blank with an "acceptable" Church) does not mean they have the same values as you. There are also many Christian office holders that have voted to uphold Roe v Wade, so no (as mentioned in the other thread) just because someone is a Christian does not mean they will vote against abortion.

1 person likes this.
  6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I voted no for all of the above.
    I personally do not care about the President's religious beliefs or lack thereof, I feel like as I long as I can worship as I please, so can he and his family

3 people like this.
  7. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I care. Religion, if a person is actively practicing, tends to effect the way a person thinks and looks at life. Different religions teach different things about life, ethics, morals, and our purpose. If a person holds true to those teachings, then their outlook and the choices they make will be effected. Certainly there are plenty of people in all religions that say, "Oh, I'm a ________" but it make little impact on the way they act and think. However, if a person truly holds to the standards, teachings, and life-view of their religions (ie, truly, actively practices that religion), then their choices in everything, including matters of the state, will be effected. So, yes, I care.

Most people vote for someone because the candidate represents their views and ideal. I am no different. A Christian is more likely to represent those things for me. Especially since the most fundamental and important beliefs that I hold are based on Christian scriptures.

Now, this does get a little trickier when looking for a candidate who professes to be a Christian. ;) After all, how many politicians looking to go beyond local politics don't claim to be a Christian? So, I look beyond their words. Do their stated beliefs and actions line up with scripture? Are they living a life that lines up with Christ himself told His followers they should do? I don't expect perfection (I'm not perfect!), but I do look for what the Bible calls "fruit" - specific things that can help you tell if a person is truly a Christian. (Matthew 7:20, "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.")

Now, I didn't vote for Obama in the first place. But, knowing his religion might give insight into his most basic beliefs. This would give me insight into choices he might make. Obviously, since he is already at the helm, there isn't much we can do to change the direction he chooses to steer us, but it would be nice to know where he is taking us. Any information as important to a person as their religion would be nice to know.

BTW, I'm just telling you my person beliefs. I don't expect to change anyone else's beliefs about this and would appreciate not being attacked for my own (only said because it has happened plenty in the past). I'd be happy to discuss this, but please remember I am talking about the fact that *I* care, not that anyone else should.

4 people like this.
  8. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

I agree.

I also agree with this comment from Bex:

"The US is founded on separation of church and state (remember the Anglican Church?), it was one of the main reasons that immigrants came to the US. It was neglected in the original constitution but the founding fathers found it so important that it was part of the first amendment--right along free speech and free press."

I think belief, interfaith discussion, and our supposed right to freedom of religion, is a really fascinating topic though, and so I would probably be interested in it from that perspective. regardless of his/her belief. I would be curious to see how the media portrayed the president's faith and how people reacted to it. I am still saddened by the lack of contextualization that was present in many news reports when the whole Jeremiah Wright (Obama's United Church of Christ minister)was all over the place.

9. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

Thankyou!!!
    Why do people think that Christian morals/values are so superior? Why can't we just have human morals and leave the religious affiliation out of it. I have found that it comes down to good people and bad people and has nothing to do with what church or lack of church they go to.

10. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Great poll!

In general, I strongly dislike the way religion is used as just another part of a politician's image.

I voted that I don't care if he were Muslim or Christian. I would care if he were an atheist or a Buddhist, simply because I'd find it very refreshing to see someone outside the US mainstream in public office. (Though perhaps I should have voted yes to Muslim too for the same reason.)

Scientologist: I would be concerned mainly because Scientology is known for siphoning large amounts of money from people, and politicians have a lot of influence over large amounts of money.

1 person likes this.
  11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I realize that the Scientology question is a bit off putting since it isn't a normal religion, but living in Clearwater for a couple of years really opened my eyes to how normal and unobtrusive *most* Scientologists are (to the rest of the world, what they do to themselves I couldn't care less about.) But now that you mention about the huge amounts of money thing, I should go see if I could change my vote!

12. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I have to agree with StacyA here! It matters to me. But I have also learned that just because someone says they are something doesn't mean they live it. So I look more at the issues they support than what church they are going too. Brandy

13. efmolly

efmolly Well-Known Member

I had to think long and hard about the last question, I don't know why. My first reaction was to say yes, but then I thought of the qualified candidates who are members of my faith and how they have been discriminated against before and how unfair that is- so I ultimately voted no. The only question I said yes to was Athiesm. In my experience, everyone I have met that doesn't believe in some higher power thinks those who do are "brainwashed" and "dooped". I feel if we had an Athiest president he/she would not be sensitive to the vast majority of this country. I don't care what they believe in as long as they believe in something.

During the last election I was working on this 92 year old client who was always a little grumpy. She was talking about the candidates and said "I really like 'So and SO', but I just can't vote for him because he is a ______, and I can't trust him because of that." I laughed inside and thought, I wonder if she knows her hairdresser is a _____ too?

14. MeredithMM

Wait though. I don't know much at all about scientology other than that it quite often gets a bad rep in news coverage ... and that same news coverage gives a bad rep to people of many other different belief systems.

Are you sure this is an accurate statement about the average believer in Scientology? Yes, situations have happened, but does that represent the faith as a whole or just how the faith has been portrayed in the media? Are these events sanctioned by the average believer or is the average believer as troubled by them as the rest of the populace?

How is that not somewhat similar to saying Christians are "known" to be intolerant of people who are unlike themselves or Muslims are "known" to have terrorist connections?

Why it more acceptable to be skeptical of Scientology? To me, Scientology is a bigger mystery than any of the other systems of belief listed in the poll. But because I know very little about it I am very hesitant to make assumptions.

15. Mama_Kim

Or on the flip side, just because they don't talk about it publically, doesn't mean they don't live it. Some don't wear their religion as badge of honor, but rather quietly practice their faith through their daily actions and words.

I also don't think one has to have a religion or faith in God to live by good moral standards.

5 people like this.
  16. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'd like to say it doesn't matter but really, who are we kidding? A politician who is an extremist in any direction would be concerning to me because try as he might, he couldn't possibly keep his personal beliefs separate. And really, I'm not sure I could respect a person, no matter how bright and well-spoken they may be, who believes whole-heartedly something that I find absolutely outlandish. I tend to favor a moderate for any leadership role because they come the closest to representing all sides fairly. That's not to say that I like a weak or indecisive candidate but rather that they are willing and able to consider others' viewpoints while they make the tough decisions.

3 people like this.
  17. MeredithMM

I agree. And I agree that a person's does faith certainly does play a role in who they are, but that does not mean that faith alone would make them credible or not credible as a fair leader. It's one thing in a list of many that plays a role in who a person is and how open-minded they are with the populace.

But in this poll I thought we were talking about different faiths, based on the assumption that they would be moderate believers because, after all, you can't uphold the COnstitution if you are a religious extremist, regardless of what faith underlies the extremism.

Extremism is ....well, extremism. If you are extremist you are not going to support separation of church and state and therefore have no business running for president in the first place.

I think most of us would agree we would want a moderate of any belief system because, as you say, they need to be able to represent all sides fairly.

IMO, a presidential candidate must be able to engage in interfaith/belief dialog because they will be the political leader for people of all faiths and belief systems, and they need--- actually I think they must--- be to able set a tone for our nation that people of different systems of belief (from atheist to Mennonite) can live together in diversity.

ETA: fix grammar. Thoughts flow faster than my slow editing. ha.

18. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I prefer moderates as well and the religion a person claims to have hasn't affected my vote.

I have a whole separate issue with Scientology as a religion, but I find the people to be just as nice as anyone else.

19. MeredithMM

I am very ignorant about the details of the Scientology belief. It's not something I have reed much about, and I have never met anyone personally that has that belief system. I am getting really curious though, and I would love to know more about it. If I knew more I might have more of an opinion about it. Can someone direct me to more information? I am not being argumentative or anything. I am sincerely curious.

Sorry to get off on a tangent with this post. If anyone has reading suggestions I would love to hear them. You can send me a PM.
    Once again, sorry to sidetrack the discussion. Just want to learn more.

20. Mama_Kim

This was the commercial which aired for one of our gubernatorial candidates in the recent TN primary: Zach Wamp: "Here's My Heart" :bad: Aside from the fact that I wouldn't have voted for him anyway, this commercial was a real turn off for me. Personally, his "heart" doesn't really matter to me, it's where he stands on the issues and how well I believe he could perform the job. He did not win the primary.

21. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Just like with anyone I could care less about his religious background. I just do not hear about it and I do not want it to affect me.

22. rubyturquoise

Oh, I know, blech.

23. efmolly

efmolly Well-Known Member

To quote my dad: What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Meaning, I don't see how what he said has anything to do with running a state. What is he going to do about education, immigration, taxes? That should be a candidate's platform.

24. Mama_Kim

Exactly!! And what about the fact that you are alienating an entire portion of the population? It has absolutely zero to do with the issues. Pointless.

25. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I hope you're not asking me because I'm certain I would give biased information. :FIFblush: I'm sure one of the other lovely ladies on this board can help you. :give_rose:

However, Wikipedia is always a good jumping off point.

26. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I agree with Brandy.

27. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

It's funny, because I went through the poll questions like NOPE NOPE NOPE...and then paused at the Scientology one before answering NO. Here I was thinking I was all without bias, but apparently I've seen too many Tom Cruise interviews. :laughing:

But of course, I'm guessing Tom Cruise doesn't represent an entire religion any more than I represent all Catholics, or my husband represents all atheists.

It really doesn't matter, unless The President goes around making his religion the law just because he likes it so much, and I don't see him doing that!

28. rubyturquoise

Actually, this illustrates my problem with Huckabee. He seems like a nice guy to have a beer with, but I can't stomach him as POTUS because I can't see him keeping his religion separate from his governance.

29. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I know 99.9% of you guys and gals disagree with how I chose my president but I look mostly at abortion. I don't care what religion a president is. If he/she is against abortion then usually they will get my vote. If he/she is Muslim but speaks out against abortion, I will vote for him/her (as long as I agree with other things). I am in some prolife groups with people of all different religions. I don't care if our preseident is Jewish, Muslim, etc etc etc.

30. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

I've always wondered how those who are not Christians, feel about always voting in a Christian president?

2 people like this.
  31. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

ITA here!! The President's religion does not matter to me as long as he is not trying to force them onto everyone else in the country!!

I know ALOT of ppl that were not going to vote for Romney b/c he is LDS (Mormon). Who gives a flip?!? Just b/c he is LDS doesn't mean he is going to tell everyone in the country they have to stop drinking, smoking and having sex before marriage! :D I personally voted for him b/c I thought he would be a good President...still do. If he was Catholic or Muslim or Buddist or Athiest and had the same political views...I would feel the same.

ITA here too!!

32. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Ditto this.

I have voted for years and now that I think about it, have never considered the candidates religion when voting (local, state, and national)!

33. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Well, many mainstream religions also get large amounts of money from their followers, and it's all tax-free to boot. <_< The LDS require 10% tithing, Jewish congregations have a membership fee, other Christian churches might not require tithing and offerings, but it's certainly encouraged.
    I don't know why Scientology gets singled out as being a weird religion. Their beliefs are no more strange than others. Guy rose from the dead and claims to be the son of God. You get your own planet when you die, but only if you are a man; women get to tag along on their husband's planet, or their father's if unmarried. You can't eat meat and cheese at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  34. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Christa I am not sure why I got a private message from you warning me about my reply. I did NOT disobey any TS terms or rules by my post.

35. Massato

Massato Member

For me it is not that important. It doesn't matter if you are muslim or christian, what is the color of your skin and where you live, you still can be a good person. And I just can't understand why do so many people ignore this fact. I mean, cases of descrimination are still extremely common these days. Especially racial descrimination. I myself had to hire a racial descrimination lawyer from mosheslaw.com a few times already.