Memory foam mattress for kids?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I know many of you have switched to twin beds by now... what type of mattresses did you buy? I always assumed I'd get a Sealy or Serta mattress (or some other regular mattress brand) but in doing some research, there are well rated foam and latex mattresses for similar prices. I'm hoping these mattresses will last for quite some time so I don't mind spending a little more to get a nice supportive mattress, but don't want to spend more than $400 each if possible.

What does everyone think? Go with a traditional innerspring? Tempurpedic foam-type? Latex? What have you done for your kids?

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about this as well, so I'll be interested in seeing the replies you receive.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We have kid foam (I think). They are very comfy and don't require box springs so they aren't as talk. The girls mattresses are actually pink.

4. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i wouldn't get memory foam or latex for kids, the chemicals used in those type of mattresses can be harmful to kids. Honestly I probably wouldn't get one for myself either - but i tend to be an extremist on trying to avoid chemicals, etc...

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

wow! things I never think about!!!! now that's one more thing to add to my research... I love our mattress and it has a memory foam topper... hmmm

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Most mattresses are treated with chemicals for various reasons. Memeory foam or not. We have viscokidz foam

7. akameme

I know, and that's why we went organic - when we got their mattresses.

The chemicals used to make them fire resistant also worry me - as an aside, loose fitting pjs have similar chemicals to make them flame resistant. For this reason we have switched to snug fitting - no chemicals.

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Akameme - good point! We've only used snug fitting pajamas to avoid the chemicals, and my girls have organic crib/toddler bed mattresses... but I didn't even think about chemicals for kid mattresses. How quickly I forget!

Do you like the organic mattresses you purchased? Can I ask the brand? Thanks!

9. akameme

We bought from this company Lifekind - i think the kids mattresses are amazing, we got the Shasta...it will be awhile before we can replace our mattress though :(

They are not cheap and I would encourage you to call and speak to them and read more about their products.

10. akameme

check out this link from lifekind for more information...