harnesses

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by tri159, Nov 9, 2010.

1. tri159

tri159 Well-Known Member

Hey Everybody!

Quick question about harnesses before I head off to work!

The last couple days I've been frustruated with the girls, wanting to take them for walks, but they won't hold my hand or walk safely beside me...so is this the time to get some backpack harnesses?? I've never really looked into these before, but if they'll allow me to walk down the street with the two of them, then I'm all for it!

The girls are 16months...is this a normal age to use a harness? Will they be like a dog or cat, and fight it at first? Are there different kinds? Should I be looking for something specific?

Sorry so many questions!
    Gotta run, TIA for all your input!

Melissa

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two did not have a problem with using harnesses, I think I started with them around 18 months old. I got the Eddie Bauer Animal Backpack Harnesses (a pink dog for DD and a monkey for DS). I first practiced with them around the house, so the kids could get used to wearing them (and if they freaked out at first, they would be at home) but they did really well. Good luck!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two didn't know what to do with them at first, so I totally agree with having them practice around the house at first. I mainly used them for backup, if they dropped my hand while walking, they couldn't get any further than the leash would let them.

4. leighkdavis

leighkdavis Member

We've got the harnesses, too. Our babes are also at 16 months and DD is the only one who is walking (or should I say running) at this time. We've been practicing around the house with it and she really likes it. We got the Jeep brand (from Amazon or Target)....a sheep for DD and a little doggie for DS. Now our only problem is that when Miss Priss sees the actual dog harness, she points to it and wants to wear it, too. :laughing: Good luck!

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i like this idea too - you still try to make them walk holding your hands, because eventually you'll want to go out without the backpacks & this way they'll be used to it. also, by having them still hold your hand you don't have to worry about them getting tangled in each other's harnesses.

when we were teaching the girls to hold hands, we would do outings with the stroller. they could hold my hand or sit in the stroller. those were the only two options. if they dropped my hand & took off, it was instantly into the stroller. if they threw a fit, we went home. GL!

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started using them in the spring, shortly after my 2 turned 13/14 months old. My oldest son had baseball games that lasted a minimum of 90 mins, and there's no way the twins would stay in the stroller for 90 mins. The baseball diamond was near a very busy highway and it was impossible to keep both of them in front of me at all times.

I preferred the leashes without the backpack, because I keep them in my diaper bag all the time so I have them handily accessible. I use the munchkin black ones with the chest straps, but they are just plain black nylon. I also make them hold my hands while walking, and they now will walk into things like walmart, or mcd's, while holding my hand without running away. The leashes are reserved for outings like baseball/soccer with my kids, or the zoo or museum and such.

7. mpittman

mpittman Active Member

I just started using the backpack harnesses for my LOs last week and they LOVE them! They bring them to me and beg me to put them on so we can go on a walk. I was hesitant because I am sure there are people who will have negative comments, but after seeing how much my girls enjoy being able to take long walks in our neighborhood, I am not worried about what others think! It is the only safe way for me to walk on the sidewalk alone with them at this age.

I bought them at Wal-Mart for $9.50 each...well worth it already! :good:

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

everyone said it all!

we had the Eddie Bauer ones, they backpack part is bulky and can't fit much... but they love them!

and yes, we use them as training, and make sure that they hold our hands even when wearing them.

I bought an extra set that are monkey's and they actually have a bigger backpack part and they aren't so bulky... but you could actually use it as a storage spot.

anyway, yes, get them! I will say that I mainly use them when I'm by myself. Its a challenge enough to get the kids in the car let alone by myself and have to be in a parking lot or other place that's dangerous.

9. tri159

tri159 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

I went out after work and bought a couple...two monkey ones...seemed appropriate :)
    Tried them today at home for the first time, and didn't go great.
    They enjoyed wearing them in the house, just walking around and looking at the "tail" dragging behind them. But then we attempted to go outside and one was pulling one way, the other going the opposite way, and then dropping down on hands & knees when they realized they couldn't go any further! We had to give up and come back in after about 10mins!

They're still young, and not particularly advanced for their ages, so it will probably just take time!

Really appreciated all your advice, Thanks again!

Melissa

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I always ask them to hand me their "tail" and then also hold my hand... so that they aren't actually able to get to the end of the leash... ours liked it because it meant that we got out and about a little more - we went for a few neighborhood walks with them on them. its easier if you can get your husband to take one and you take one while you break them in to learning how to walk with them. good luck!