people and their dumb comments/questions

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by KeriU, Dec 17, 2010.

1. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

Before I had the twins I was reading in several posts about the stupid questions and comments people make to mothers of twins. I guess it still didn't prepare me for the dumb questions I would be asked...they have totally thrown me off guard.
    The most annoying one is "Are they identical?" This question always comes after it has been established that they are boy/girl twins. The first time I was asked it I looked at her like she was an idiot and said, it is a boy and a girl and she said "yes, I know, so are they identical?" Seriously!!! My mom told me that some people just are educated about twins. What exactly is there to be educated about when it comes to boy and girl anatomy and the obvious fact that it is impossible to be identical. Just venting...I know it shouldn't annoy me so much, guess I just wasn't prepared for some peoples stupidity...and I am sure from reading on here that I have many more years of dumb questions and comments to come.

2. Chrissy2010

Chrissy2010 Well-Known Member

My guys are 5 months today.. At the beginning I didnt mind the questions and talking to every person that comes over to take a look.. Now I try not to make eye contact and walk faster! Not being rude but if Im out shopping and they babies are sleeping, I dont have much time to get what Im doing done.. I dot have time to stand and chat I got to go!!LOL

3. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I used to not mind the questions either, but now I walk faster the other way as well. Sometimes, though, it makes for a good laugh. DH and I took the girls shopping last weekend. It started pouring rain when we were in the store, so he pulled the car up front. I've got the girls covered in blankets as we're trying to quickly load them in the car, and a bell ringer a good hundred feet away yells, "Are they twins?!" I'm thinking, "Really?! Right now? Can't you tell I'm in a hurry?" I almost yelled, "No, I like to keep my purchases bundled in two car seats."

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

It is extremely annoying. I no longer make eye contact when I am shopping with the boys. Easier that way. As to G/B Id twins:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art58216.asp

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I don't know...they are just curious. The only questions I get annoyed (or irritated at) are the questions that imply I must be suffering because I have all boys. Like, "Oh you poor thing, no girls?" and "Too bad one of your twins wasn't a girl!". :( And they have the nerve to say those things in front of my boys! :headbang: I'm thrilled to have all boys, couldn't imagine it any other way. :wub:

As far as the twin questions, they don't bother me. Just people who are curious and fascinated with twins. In the scheme of things, just not a big deal in my book! :)

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I have 3 boys as well, and I get the "oh to bad one wasn't a girl" comment as well. Or my fave, "Are you giong to try again?"

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

The comments don't bother me either, and actually, I've never gotten asked if I'm sorry one isn't a girl. :unknw:

It was funny, though, because DH rarely goes shopping with me - usually when he and I take the boys somewhere, it is to see family, church, etc., since he is at work most of the day. We went out on a short shopping trip yesterday while he was off due to snow and he couldn't get over all the comments people made. I guess I've just gotten used to it by now! :)

8. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL!!!! THIS is the question that annoys me the most! I have B/G twins and my sis in law asked me the same question, and I know I looked at her like "Uhhh, do you HAVE a brain???" That and the comment that they look exactly alike, they look NOTHING alike!! And I also hate it when stangers ask which is the boy and which is the girl. Lucy always wears frilly, pink, purple stuff, abd Ike is always in sporty navy blues, grays, etc... UGGGHHHH :grr:

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

the good news is that the questions and comments slow way down after a year or two. we don't get asked much anymore... of course maybe it's because I don't go out as much these days... I do think that people are more intrigued with babies.

10. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The twin comments didn't bother me so much. But at the same time, I never gave eye contact and kept on walking. I knew I was being stared at, I could feel holes being burned in the back of my head! Most people are curious. And honestly, I want to say, most of the people who ask if my duo are twins, are ones who are either twins themselves, or had twins. I got those responses way more than the, "Identical? No, they can't be twins? He's taller than him." etc etc.

And honestly, if my two weren't dressed the same, no one would ever know they were twins!

11. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

I hate being asked if they are identical when they know I've got one of each...but lately it's started to make me even madder when DH and I take them to the mall and people say "Mom must be busy." UH, DH is pretty busy too! I make a point of saying we both are pretty busy. Oh and my absolute favorite - "Well you must be done now."

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah...lol...I will say, the comments about me having one of each sex are kinda annoying. When I was pregnant with Annabella, and we didn't know the sex, it was, "Oh, well I hope it's a girl!!! Then you can be done." Who said I wanted to be done?!?! And if it's not a girl-who cares?!?! I want healthy. Healthy trumps sex.

So then lo and behold, Ms. Annabella comes along... And now it's, "Oh, you have two boys and a girl. That's GREAT! Oh, that's wonderful! Lucky you! One of each!"

Three healthy kids. More than I could have ever imagined! :wub:

13. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Ditto... the comments don't usually bother me but I've found that I'm in stores twice as long if I stop to talk to every person that tries to initiate contact. Plus, I'm just tired of answering the same questions all the time.

14. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

If we all had little information cards to hand out with sex, ID or no, and age, maybe trips would go faster! I also find that trips to frequented places, like our regular grocery store, go faster because I get greeted warmly instead of getting bombarded with questions.

15. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My grocery store knows me better than I do, I think. If I bring the boys, the cashiers ooh and ahh over how big they are getting. If I don't bring the boys, they why I didn't bring them. The weirdest thing I had happen was once when I didn't have them with me (I was alone in the store) a mom came up behind me and asked if I had twins. I literally looked around and said yes, I do. She said she sees me all the time at the store and thinks my boys are really cute. What I found odd was that I don't ever remember seeing her or talking to her before. This means that she (and probably others) know me yet I don't know them at all. I found this soooo strange!

16. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

That would have freaked me out a bit!

I get comments ALL the time. The girls look nothing alike but I am asked constantly if they are identical. I guess since they're both girls I don't get as aggravated. If they were b/g I don't know if I could hold my tongue sometimes. I have only smarted off to strangers twice since having them. One day I was in the restroom at Target. Everyone did their business and we were leaving. Someone lady asked how I tell them apart. I wasn't feeling all that friendly so I replied...I look at them! Last week when I went to Wal-Mart I was pushing the twins in the stroller and pulling the cart with DD2 in it. The other two were walking. They were all being good. Some lady passed me pushing a manual wheelchair with who I assume was her husband in it and pulling a cart. She says "wow you have your hands full!" I replied back "um, so do you!" and kept on walking. Not one of my nicer moments.

17. Eribour

Eribour Well-Known Member

Many times I just want to look at the people and give sarcastic replys. When asked if my twins are both boys (b/g twins) I always want to reply that I really wanted a girl so
    I dress one in pink. The worst was that someone actually asked if I used fertility or invetro! Come on that's personal!! And no I did use either one.

18. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At first I thought that people gave that kind of attention to every baby.. until I started going out with my friend who has a singleton the same age. I would get mobbed all the time and no one would even pay attention to her kid. She was always amazed with how much attention we got. I have heard every dumb comment around, but I think for the most part people are just genuinely interested.. so when I am not in a hurry I am glad to entertain their curiosity. Some people have no boundaries though.. my worst instance was in the middle of me negotiating a new cell phone plan and I had this mother and daughter come up to me while I was at the customer service desk talking to the rep and interrupted me to ask me 3248925 questions about the twins. Like, c'mon!

19. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I had someone fight me when I told them that they weren't identical. First of all, yes, they are boy/girl but I agree with your Mother in that, some people just think that identical means their faces look a like, and that they don't think about their "parts".

20. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

I get most annoyed when the dumb questions come from family. My MIL asked us again about a week ago how we tell the boys apart. Um, if you look at them you can see the differences. Do we have to go over it again???