half time show

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I don't really like the black eyed peas but that was a fun half time show even with the fluke mistakes

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I do like them, but the sound was just awful. I didn't care for it at all. I'm still wondering why nobody has commented on Christina's national anthem. She messed up the words! I wish she didn't do so much with it as well.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, I was looking forward to the halftime show...and they were horrible. I don't know what she was trying to do with her voice....yuck. And I do like them.

And Christina messing up the National Anthem is all over the internet.

4. twin_trip_mommy

I was going to make a thread but then decided not to. It has blown up on a Yahoo news article and I am sure on other internet sites. She really seemed like she was trying to over compensate for her mess up. I liked one quote I remember reading earlier "She overcompensated by turning single words into full paragraphs after she messed up" She is usually a good singer but she like others seem to have to make the song their own and she failed.

Back to the half time show. It was not just the sound (mikes not turned on in the beginning) but the lighting was off also on the V

5. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

You know I cannot imagine the pressure of getting up in front of the world and doing the National Anthem so I am not going to give her a hard time. I am sure she feels like a big enough loser. There was someone on a show the other night that messed it up, so it happens alot I am sure.

BEP are not my favorite band but fun to dance to. They are family friendly, so hey they were entertaining at least. And I guess they sang live so that is something.

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I didn't hear the National Anthem, but thought agree that the half time show sounded bad. I thought Fergie sounded sick, and wondered if she was fighting the flu or something. She didn't seem to have the energy she normally does and just sounded bad.

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I, too, was disappointed with the BEP! :( I'm a fan of theirs and love most of their music but Fergie (especially) sounded BAD!!! WTH??? I did love when Slash made an appearance :wub: only because I love him!! And wish GNR were still together. :lol: I could have done without USHER though... he was just there to dance. :huh:

1 person likes this.
  8. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Worst half-time show ever. :bad: Horrific sound. Not really a big BEP fan anyway but I expected much better from them. And I got quite excited when Slash appeared until Fergie opened her mouth and ruined one of the best songs of all-time. :eek: It just failed on so many levels. :(

But will.i.am is such a great guy irl. Very generous. So they had a bad night. I won't hold it against him.

As for Christina Aguilera, yeah she messed up but I can't imagine the nerves!

2 people like this.
  9. Mama_Kim

Just wanted to add, I usually love Fergie's voice but she was way off tonight. I've even heard her do Sweet Child o' Mine with Slash before and do it well. I wonder if she's sick or something?

10. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Yeah I love when our anthem is sang..always gives me goose bumps. But Christina really did a bad job..I hope she can get over it though.

The halftime show was horrible I thought. From the beginning when Fergies mic wasn't on..to her voice. Maybe she is sick..The sound was way off. But they are a good group usually so i wont hold it against them.

Overall I told Bob I want a glow suit for next Christmas. LOL
    Brandy

11. Mama_Kim

12. twin_trip_mommy

Yes the glow suits were awesome. I am really not a listener to todays music so I cannot say anything to the BEPs performance but the show as a whole was full of energy (maybe not as much "energy" as Fergie usually has) so it was fun to me.

I totally understand that singing in front of the nation is probably nerve wracking but she has had numerous concerts in front of (probably) a million people. She is a professional and imo she tried to over sing it to put her own sound to it and it was okay but because she tried to spin it to a paragraph per word she missed a line and then over sang the rest. She has a very pretty voice and the National Anthem is a beautiful song, gives me the goose bumps also so I just cannot understand why people have a need to change the way it was intended to sound. She could have sung it with the notes it was intended to have and a little stretch here and there and she could have nailed it like what Steven Tyler has done.

13. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more! I thought the BEP were terrible, but when I heard the chords to "Sweet Child of Mine" my DH and I both said, "Good, here comes some real music." Suddenly we realized Fergie was going to sing! Scott looked at me and said, "He might not be as good to look at, but I was really hoping for Axel." Fergie sounded awful.

14. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I admire the nerve but honestly they should all be used to singing in front of lots of people. I would never expect perfect but that was awful.

15. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

As a vocalist I am trying to be sympathetic because it is nerve-wracking to perform in front of large groups, no matter how many times you've done it. And the National Anthem is almost a two octave range song, which is difficult. But the vocalist in me is also very critical because we all expect more from someone singing it for the super bowl. And she did a great job at the NBA finals last year!

16. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

She had to be sick or something, her voice just wasn't there last night.

17. Chrissy Nelson

But Cheryl, don't you think she realized she messed up and figured she might as well just keep going with the performance or run off the stage in embarassment? Even professionals mess up now and then.

Here is her statement she released...

"I got so caught up in the moment of the song that I lost my place. I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."

18. Mama_Kim

Well, we can't all be Steven Tyler. He is a consummate professional. :wub:

Fergie is beautiful, no doubt. Axl not so pretty (especially these days) but a stellar voice. So no comparison. Unfortunately for Fergie. But, I have heard her sound much better so am still wondering if she was ill or something.

Hoda and Kathie Lee talked about Christina's performance this morning. Kathie Lee brought up a good point. Often, they want you to pre-record and lip synch (to avoid just this sort of thing). Christina obviously sang live! So, she messed up. That wasn't my issue as much as I didn't care for her rendition of the anthem.

I thought this was a good statement from her. She must be feeling so mortified right now. I also saw where Bill Maher tweeted that she looked like a negative image of Elvira! :rofl:

19. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I liked it (all of it). :tomato: I realize that it is live, its huge to pull off and I commend them for not lip syncing...of course they sound better on a recorded CD but live they did well.
    I am pretty sure you will NEVER find a performance where everyone is happy...

Overall it was a fun game to watch!

20. Chrissy Nelson

See I think Fergie is not so beautiful, nice body not so pretty.

I was hoping that we would get a surprise Axl appearance.

21. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Awesome, awesome game but oh the halftime show .... :blink:

Not really a BEP fan and really thought it was a BTDT performance!! Over it! I missed out on some of the anthem but what I did hear sounded, um, like Christina Aguilera... :hush:. I can't imgaine the pressure of singing in front of millions of people but it was really bad.

22. twin_trip_mommy

There is no doubt she loves her country. She wanted to sing the National Anthem at the Super bowl. I never said she should have run off the stage in embarrassment. That would not have been the right thing to do.

I had not seen her statement before now. It says what I have been thinking/saying, She got caught up in the moment OR way she was singing the song with her own speed and extra inflections. She lost her place.

We all know she can sing veery well and this song also. She just did not do it well this time.

23. Mama_Kim

24. Chrissy Nelson

25. Mama_Kim

My favorite (surprise!) was U2. I also loved Bruce and Tom Petty (who didn't make the list) and of course Paul with his Live and Let Die pyrotechnics.

26. Hollie24

Hollie24 Well-Known Member

What Kim said! I am not a BEP fan but had some hope when Slash appeared--and right after Fergie opened her mouth I flipped over to the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet until halftime was over. As for Christina Aguilera, I am sure she was nervous, but that rendition will not go down in the annals of great versions of the national anthem.

27. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

Our kids loved the show so I do think the halftime show appealed to the younger crowd. I thought it was fine - the Black Eyed Peas are never about the singing anyway. Have you ever heard Fergie sing Big Girls Don't Cry live? I think her voice is totally studio enhanced myself. The Usher/Will I Am duo was cool - Usher might have been a better choice to do the whole show. I suspect we'll see someone like him or one of his rivals next year as the NFL strives to reach the younger generation for the halftime show at least.

28. Mama_Kim

I think Usher would have been an awesome choice for the show. Maybe Fergie was lost without autotune? :lol: I actually have heard her sing live and sing well though. I still think maybe it was the sound issues throwing her off or she was under the weather.

29. Mama_Kim

30. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Mine too, and I remember my dad being all hyped about it as well.

31. Chrissy Nelson

The Superbowl is in Indy next year so I put money down that we go with John Mellencamp :bad: or some horrible country band (sorry folks can't stand country one bit). I am betting Kenney Chesney or something like that :nea:

Now although I am not a fan I think somebody like Jimmy Buffet would be good times. But deep down inside my heart I would love to see David Bowie get up there and do some C-C-C-Changes.

But in reality this is Indiana and we are not going to make it fun, and since Henry Lee Summers is in and out of jail on Meth charges John Mellencamp it is.

32. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I see H-town made the list with Janet Jackson. Which, by the way, merits a mention that she is returning next month to Reliant Stadium (site of the 2004 Super Bowl) for the first time since that infamous wardrobe malfunction as she plays, of all events, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Anyway, thanks for the link to top 10 halftime performances. It was neat seeing that U2 Tampa performance again - a richly-deserved #1.

So which of the following has not performed at halftime of the Super Bowl?

Mickey Rooney
    George Burns
    Indiana Jones
    Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill
    Chubby Checker
    Up with People (3 times)
    or Elvis Presley ?

(answer below - keep scrolling)

(this answer is going to hurt)

The answer is Elvis. There was an Elvis impersonator but not the King himself. The others all performed at one time or another.

33. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Sometimes, when you'r on stage even with the careful soundcheck before the show, you cannot "hear" your surrounding the singer cannot hear the way she/he should. It could put them a half a note or completely off even with great voice. Does not happen often, but it does. I think in her case that's what it had to be.
    I did not care for the halftime show much, I was a bit disappointed and as much as I love Christina's voice I wasn't happy with her performance either.