my LO's havent slept through the night in almost 2 weeks

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Apr 20, 2011.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

the kids whine, scream, moan. there is nothing i can do to console them short of picking them up and just bringing them back to bed with me so i can sleep. i dont get it - my kids are great sleepers. they nap for about 2 hours a day and have never awaken in the night like this. not sure what to do.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At that age, we started having dreams. I'm not sure what the dreams were about, but they were upsetting enough to Alice to wake her up. We used to just tuck her blanket around her, and make sure that she had her pacifier and a sippy of water. She would eventually settle down and fall back asleep. We never put them in our bed when they woke up in the middle of the night because we didn't want to create a pattern that we didn't want to deal with.

3. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

Any teeth coming? Funny that its both kids. Or maybe one is waking the other? My husband always jumps up right away to see what is wrong and it usually bites him in the butt. I let them cry/whine for a bit and most times they will settle back down by themselves. I've found in the past if we start messing with the sleep routine (exp. picking them up, going in numerous times to check on them), then we pay for it with sleepless nights/weeks until they get back on track.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I wonder about teething, too. My nephew is about their age and he just got his 2 year molars. You could try giving them tylenol or motrin when they go to bed and see if that makes any difference.

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

TEETH! I hate teething! whenever I look back, they woke b/c of teething. UGH! hopefully it's over soon.

6. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

WOW! Am i jealous much?!!

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

One of my twinnies has only STTN once!!!!!!!!!! The other one sleeps through maybe 60% of the time.

HAving said that, i have to agree with pp, in that it's probably teeth and/or dreams (night terrors). Beats me what they dream about at that age, though its probably more of a feeling of fear rather than actual dreams. Goodluck!

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Teething was a huge sleep-disrupter in our house too; between that and separation anxiety, Jack had several months of night-waking early on in the second year. Have you tried talking to your LOs before bedtime? This *really* helped Jack. I told him what to expect from night-time, that we're all right here, and that if he woke, he needed to try to go back to sleep. If he woke up, then I'd rock him for a few minutes, and tell him that Mama needed to go back to sleep, and it was time to go back to bed.

You could also try dosing them with some ibuprofen before bedtime and see if this helps.