A Song of Fire and Ice Series

Discussion in 'General' started by kingeomer, May 27, 2011.

1. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Now that there is a show based on these books on HBO, I'm wondering if anyone has read the books and would like to discuss them.

I've read all four (Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows) and enjoyed them immensely. Even if my favorite characters have died :cry: And I cannot wait for a Dance With Dragons to come out on July 12th. I hope having the show on HBO will help George RR Martin finish the series faster because I cannot think of how he can possibly end it when there are so many possibilities on how it could end.

And just like show, in the books, I still want to punch Jaime Lannister. :laughing: He could save my mother from a speeding bus and I would still want to punch him.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm reading A Storm of Swords right now.

Let me just say how hard it is at work for me when my boss said to me two weeks ago, "Lord Stark didn't die, right? He just got hurt when Jamie Lannister fought him in the street."

me: "Nope." And the whole time I'm thinking, "Oh are you going to be shocked how main characters die."

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dang it! I shouldn't have opened this. I started the first book but I've got too many hobbies right now and not enough time so I'm only on the 2nd chapter. I will come back after I've finished the first book. I hope Lord Stark doesn't die! :escape:

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, Nancy! This sounds like something I would really enjoy reading. I think I'm going to stop by the library and pick one up on the way home!!

5. kingeomer

Rachel, it is slow going at first, especially trying to figure out all the characters and why they are important but once you get into it the book is awesome!

6. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

I'm just reading Feast for Crows right now and looking forward to the new one coming out.
    It does constantly shock me how no character seems to be safe.

7. becasquared

Congratulations on the name change. :p)

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Well, I had to put it on hold, but I'm excited to start a new series.

9. kingeomer

My DH has it on hold at the library too..he's 37 on the list. He did not want to read it when I had the books, now that he's seen the show, he wants to read them. And he keeps asking me about the fate of the characters and I tell him to either read the books or be patient with the show.
    PS: Jordan, to piggy back on what Bex said, Congratulations!

10. becasquared

It's one of those books for us that we're going to read and reread, so we bought the first book in paperback (I have all four on my nook, but I'm not giving him my nook.) With all of our coupons, it was $5.66 at Borders.

11. becasquared

Okay, I'm halfway through the third book now. The wedding scene? Amazing!!

12. kingeomer

Oh man, that was some crazy stuff wasn't it? I was :woah: and :cry:
    I am thinking that I am going to have to get up off of it and buy the books because I can see both DH and I going through the books again, especially since I feel like I need to visit the Fire and Ice Wikipedia to refresh my feeble memory (I just read the 4 of them between Christmas and April).

13. becasquared

I was seriously shocked and tried to not cry on the bus at 6:00 a.m.

This is one very excellent set of books. Even if I don't like each part of the plot, it's an incredible reading experience.

14. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Sorry to get off track, but can't you share books on your Nook with DH? That is one thing we love about the Kindle that we can share since our account is linked. He sees me get hooked on books and then has to read them himself.

15. becasquared

I could share books on the Nook with him but he doesn't have one. I can share books with friends via email if they have a Nook, but I haven't gotten one for my husband. And probably won't.

16. kingeomer

My feelings exactly. I liked that Sean Bean described George RR Martin as an evil genius...he makes care about the characters but has them break your heart at the same time. Counting down the days until July 12th!

17. becasquared

Me too. When we get paid again I'm pre-ordering it for my nook.

18. kingeomer

I'm trying to talk myself out of a Nook (we don't have the money and are going to need another car soon, so no Nook for me. I have to keep reminding myself that) but I know the new book is going to be huge. I believe GRR Martin said in his blog that the manuscript was 1500 plus pages and I don't want to tote around a big book at the beach (lazy, I know). I am excited for a Dance With Dragons and I hope the following 2 books to wrap up the series won't take as long as this one did to be released.

19. becasquared

Alright, finished the fourth book. I wasn't expecting Stoneheart to reappear. That threw me for a loop. And I totally need to read the next book.

20. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first book - I have to say, so far I'm annoyed as heck with Eddard. :laughing: I will add the caveat though that I prefer my favorite characters to be the ones who are 3 steps ahead of everyone else, and he, well, he is definitely not.

Also, I want to punch Sansa. Idiot.

And I'm not sure who I actually like yet, but I can't put the book down! Am looking forward to seeing how everything develops. :D

21. kingeomer

Glad you like it Rachel! I always attributed Eddard's lack of skill in Kings Landing to his personality (someone as honest and noble as him could never think like they do in Kings Landing) and a culture clash...he's been up in the North for 15 years doing his own thing and pretty unconcerned about what's going on down there. Shame Westeros doesn't do job interviews/resumes :laughing:
    I always think of Sansa as the spoiled, teenage girl who needed a total reality check.

22. becasquared

Re-reading them, hopefully I'll have them all read twice before the new one comes out in two weeks or so. Almost done with the first one again.

23. AimeeThomp

I just read the wedding scene in book 3 today. :cry:

I'm so shocked! And I was liking Sandor Clegane more and more and now I'm not so sure. I sure hope Arya is still alive.

24. becasquared

Are you my husband? He read those parts today too. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  25. AimeeThomp

:spiteful:

26. miss_bossy18

I just started book 4 - I really, really, really like Jon Snow so I'm positive he'll be dead any moment now. :gah:

And I hated the Red Wedding scene - I kept wanting to yell at Catelyn "Trust your damn instincts woman!" :blush:

27. kingeomer

I've finished book 5 and will say nothing about it other then it's good. Not as good as book 3...but good.
    Rachel, I felt the same way with Catelyn leading up to the Red Wedding. And Robb leaving Grey Wind behind. I was like, "NOOOO ROBB...TAKE THE WOLF WITH YOU!!!!"

Jon Snow is my DH's favorite character. He just finished Book 1 and is ready to read book 2. He still doesn't understand Theon Greyjoy after watching the show and reading the first book :laughing:

28. AimeeThomp

I'm hoping Theon Greyjoy is dead but I have a feeling he's not...

29. miss_bossy18

Me too!

30. becasquared

I liked book five, but book three is the most jaw dropping of them all.

1 person likes this.
  31. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I'm on Clash of Kings right now. I am trying not to read this thread but I wanted to say that I am finding myself not wanting to read the book because I don't want my favorite characters to die. I guess if I don't read it, it won't happen, right?

1 person likes this.
  32. miss_bossy18

I got about half way through book four & needed to stop for a couple of weeks. :laughing:

33. AimeeThomp

I hope you're not implying one of my favorites is about to die! I'm about 40% done with book 4. It's boring compared to the third one.

34. miss_bossy18

No - it was more a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop that I couldn't take anymore. :laughing:

35. becasquared

The pacing is definitely off in book 4. But you won't be disappointed with book five. :)