Dumb Quest., Doc V. OB

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Katheros, May 31, 2011.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask so here goes. I have a suspicious mole on my back, my husband took a look at it and thinks I should have it checked out. So do I go to my "regular" doctor or mention it to my OB at my next appointment? (And by "regular" doctor, I mean whoever they tell me to see at the Navy clinic.)

With the twins, I never had any health problems so I'm at a loss! TIA!! :D

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'd just mention it to the OB and they can refer you elsewhere if it warrants an extra look. I had all sorts of "unusual" going on during my pregnancy and not one thing required a post-pregnancy follow-up or referral! ;)

3. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Mention it to the OB, they usually know what looks suspicious also.

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree with the others and if they feel you need to look into more they'll refer you to a dermatologist. :good: I did read that moles change during pregnancy sometimes :bad:

5. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

I had a cancerous mole (not serious) removed during my last pregnancy. My family Dr. took care of it. I did mention it to my ob to see if it was safe to have it removed during pregnancy with the freezing agent they would use. He said it was fine and to get rid of it.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would make an appointment with a dermatologist or family dr tomorrow. I would mention it to the OB if my OB appointment came before the navy clinic could get me in but I would make an appointment with the navy clinic ASAP.

7. Katheros

I can't make an appt with a Derm until I get a referral, that's just the way the stupid military insurance works. And I'll do pretty much anything to avoid going to the clinic in the first place. Most likely, even if I called today, I wouldn't get an appointment before my OB appointment in two weeks. The only time I've ever gotten a speedy appointment was when I had bronchitis and intentionally went inside the clinic and coughed on their front desk. :lol:

I'll stick with my OB for now. Thanks for the advice once again!

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Whomever will see you first is the correct answer!

I went to my primary care doctor one time when I was pregnant, and that was to get a tetanus shot. I called the OB office and they recommended that I go to my primary for that. So the OB will tell you whether it's something that they feel comfortable about or have the resources for and if not, they'll send you to the other doctor.

9. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Can your OB refer you? I would mention it to her if she could. Otherwise, go to your PCP.

10. Katheros

Ya know, that's a good question that I don't have the answer to. Usually with Tricare, whatever I do is wrong. :rolleyes:

11. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Yeah, having seen them in action, I would say that is the case. For normal insurances, as a woman, your OB is considered a PCP. However, tricare probably has different rules. I'd suggest calling tricare to find out but making an appt with your physician might be easier.

12. Katheros

I can think of so many things that would be easier than calling Tricare... like making my husband wear a dress to work or having the twins eat a healthy, well balanced meal or shaving my cats.. :rotflmbo:

I have an appt with my OB next week so I'll check with them. The girls that work there usually know how to deal with Tricare better than I do! :lol:

1 person likes this.
  13. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I don't miss Tricare! I did practically everything through my GYN when I was young, so I think that they will refer you. I never had a PCP (do they even ALLOW a primary anything??). But yeah, I bet the girls at the clinic will know more than you'd ever be able to pull from the Tricare people.

It once took me three months to change Tricare regions. We won't talk about the number of hours on the phone!

14. Katheros

Where we are stationed now, I have to go to the clinic on the Navy base and I get whatever NP is available. I'm supposed to have one main person but I've never seen the same person twice in over 2 years of being here! I am not allowed to go out in town for anything that is provided at the clinic. I even tried to see a GYN in town for a yearly and they refused me a referral because they have a GYN at the clinic one day a week.

Last summer I found out from Tricare that they had been denying every single claim for me and the twins for the previous THREE YEARS. Because the three of us used to have Aetna insurance before we were on Tricare. That was a massive cluster-you-know-what. Know how I got alerted to the problem? I got a letter from my eye doctor threatening to send it to collections.