New to TwinStuff

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jzimmerman, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jzimmerman

jzimmerman Member

Hello all.

My wife and I found out awhile ago that we are pregnant for the second time! (Our son will be three in November.) Not long after that, we discovered we are having twins! :blink:

I'm on that pendulum that swings back and forth between excited as hell and shock/near panic. I think my wife has both feet planted solidly in the shock/panic area.

I started doing some reading a couple of weeks ago and came across this great site. Any thoughts/suggestions on what I can tell my wife to convince her that we CAN do this? :unknw:

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ummm.. too late now!? Just kidding.. you can totally do this! So many folks here have a single kid and a set of twins and while there are definitely challenges ahead twins are incredibly rewarding and fun. We only have a set of twins and I can totally related to the feeling of shock and panic. They're two now and I am not sure that I have fully recovered yet. But, watching them grow up together is pretty special and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

You've found the right resource.. people here have been there done that on just about anything you can think of twin related. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! And welcome toTS!!!!!

I think most all of us have been in that same boat!! My twins were the result of IVF and we transferred 2 embryos so I knew I may have twins but on the day of my first ultrasound I was in total shock!!! They are 4 now and it is the coolest thing ever. They have a bond like I have never seen before and watching the 2 of them grow up together has been priceless. :youcandoit:

When is she due?

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to TS & congrats on your twins!

Shock/panic is totally normal.

I think you just do the best you can and leave it that. There are some time & sanity saving tricks you can do which will help like ordering diapers from Amazon Mom's subscribe and save which are dirt cheap and come to your door. Or having a rotation of people in place that will bring you a meal on different nights for the first couple of months.

5. jzimmerman

jzimmerman Member

Thanks, all! I appreciate the messages. Michelle, I'll look into that Amazon's Mom idea. I've heard it's a good idea to start looking for sales on diapers and stocking up now. Hadn't heard about that though.

This site seems like a great resource/support group. I told my wife about it, but don't think she's really looked at it yet. I'm sure I'll get her on here before too long.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

We would love to have her on here too!!!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to TS and Congratulations to you and your wife!
    You can do this and feeling shock, happy and terrified is perfectly normal. My first suggestion to you especially while being pregnant is not to google anything. I don't know how many times I freaked myself out over the course of the pregnancy looking up stuff. And if people offer help, take them up on it. Especially those early days after the twins come home from the hospital.
    Wishing you and your wife a happy and healthy pregnancy!

8. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome! Having twins is hard work sometimes, but it is so much fun too. If it was so bad we would have been done having kids. It is kind of one of those situations you sort of grow into. Every stage you figure out the easiest ways to do things. I agree with pp. Take help if offered. You both can do it. You will have to pitch in quite a bit more. My husband quite enjoyed the twinfant stage. He felt so important. With this pregnancy at the beginning he thought I was going to have twins again because I looked so big, and he was kind of hoping for it. Oh yes, don't google. I spent a lot of time worrying for nothing. Try to enjoy the pregnancy.

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to Twinstuff!!

I think shock/panic is normal when finding out you are going to have twins. One thing I would say is take any help you can get from anyone. Whether it's food, helping with babies...anything, take it!! Twins are challenging, but some how you figure it out and figure out what works best for your family. :good:

10. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations & welcome! I agree - shock/panic, totally normal. ;) But as everyone has said, you figure it all because you have to. And there are many moments when you'll look at your two babies/toddlers/preschoolers/etc & think "Man, having twins is the best thing in the world!"

I always recommend looking into hiring a postpartum doula for that initial support period. For more info on what doulas are, what they do & how to find one you can check out DONA. They can be especially helpful if your wife is planning on breastfeeding as that pretty much becomes her full time job for the first little while. Having someone else there who can help with everything else & who has breastfeeding support training is invaluable.

11. ward

ward Well-Known Member

congratulations!!!!!!! AND welcome to TS!!! I totally get where you and your wife are coming from. My husband and i have a 2 1/2 year old and this past February found out we were expecting twins, didn't even realize i was pregnant. The pregnancy its self is SO different (for me at least) from when i was pregnant with my son but this site and the lovely people on it have helped SO much. Very supportive and positive and really will tell you straight forward answeres what worked for them and so on. The shock/panic is still there and we are almost at 31 weeks pregnant. My husband still asks can you believe we are having twins lol i just laugh and tell him i don't think it will set in till they are here.

Try and get your wife to get on as soon as possible. This site has helped me through some rough spots and some not so rough spots as well. Hope your wife is doing well. :youcandoit:

12. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

COngrats and Welcome to TS! Feeling shocked, excited, scared and all the other emotions is completely normal! I found out at 10 weeks I was going to have twins, and to be honest I wasnt all that surprised myself. I had a feeling. I thiknk everyone else around me was more shocked, paniced, scared then I was! I do have to say it doesnt really feel real until you are holding 2 babies that belong to you. Yes having twins is challenging but like a PP said watching they grow up together and the bond that they have is unlike anything I have ever seen. Even my boys are almost 19 months show empathy towards each other and they are forever loving on each other. They have their own language and totally understand each other, which to some peope is bizzare, I thought it was at first too I admit, but it is very cool. Just try to relax and enjoy this pregnancy with your wife as much as possible! I know how how it is with an older child, my oldest was about 19 month when I found out I was having 2 more. It was crazy, still is, but I am doing it! You can do it too!

13. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

She can so do this!! And you are in the right place! I agree with everyones ideas so far! She might want to see if there is a local Mother of twins club! They are great for local help! And great sales! She already has a one up on me, I have 7 week old twins and they were my first! Goodluck and welcome!

14. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! We also just found out it's twins. I'm amazed that you sound so calm about it. My DH is still firmly in the denial/surreal stage lol. I guess I kind of am too, although it also veers sharply in panic. My #1 will be 18 months when these two are born. When are you due? I'm due mid february (can't remember exact date sorry).

15. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Shock is totally normal! I was in complete shock/panic/denial for a very long time...sometimes I still am and they are almost 18 months old ;). It took me a long time before I was even ready to tell anyone there was 2 i there...something about speaking it out loud that made it more real ;). DH was extremely happy so he held it together for me (he wanted 3-4 kids, I wasn't sure I wanted more than 1) although he still did have freak out moments despite his happiness. Just like the PPs said it can be crazy and very challenging at times but watching the bond they are developing with each other and their big brother is amazing :). Congrats and GL!

16. SC

SC Well-Known Member

It's the best and hardest job you'll ever have. We were also both excited and terrified.
    The first few months are an adjustment for sure and then you'll settle into a routine. I'd recommend getting as much help as you can when you come home from the hospital... family, friends, post-partum doula. We worked with a post-partum doula who specializes in multiples and she was a lifesaver (several hours a few days a week). She jumped right in without any learning curve and gave DH and I some desperately needed rest. Also, get the babies and yourselves on a schedule as soon as possible. It's the only way to control chaos.
    I hope your (wife's) pregnancy is uneventful. Best of luck.

17. jzimmerman

jzimmerman Member

I appreciate all the encouraging words, guys. Congrats to you too, 3under2! I do find myself staring off into space sometimes ... wondering how it's all going to work. But then I look at my son or watch him play with one of his friends and I can't wait to have a couple more running around with him.

The doc said my wife is due January 25 ... so predicted it will most likely be early January.

18. kudos

kudos Member

Finally some topic i can relate to. I'm 13 weeks pregnant with twins and my singleton boy turned 3 last week. boy, am i panic? Being the only child in the family, i never imagined that i have more than 1, let alone 3. Still panicking..