Strep

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Jul 19, 2011.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So I had a nasty case of strep a few weeks ago. Now Roycie has it, and we had Alice start on antibiotics too because her throat is getting red and irritated even though her strep test is negative today, so hopefully it doesn't turn into a full-blown case. (They sleep in the same bed, they're always hugging and kissing each other, eating each other's food/drinks, etc.)

So my question is, how long does this stupid bacteria live? And could I catch it again?

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We are a strep house, so I feel your pain. For us, I know in one week if someone is coming down with it. Last month Sarah got it, exactly one week later Allison came down with it, then another week after that my husband got it. Knock on wood I never did. And yes, you can catch it again. My brother and his family could not get rid of it and their family doctor ended up putting the whole house on an antibiotic even if they weren't showing symptoms because it just kept going around to each of them. That finally did the trick.

3. becasquared

Oh yeah, I remember you guys had it right before we did. It's so bizarre! It's totally NOT a summertime illness, but it's crazy in my county right now. So many people are coming down with it.

4. Utopia122

It's a nasty sickness. I swear I think some kids are strep magnets. Geesh, I hope you guys get rid of it quick. I feel for your babes, Allison and Sarah both ran 101 to 103+ for three days even after we got them their antiobiotic. The sickest they have ever been.

5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

It is going around these parts as well. I have one with a low grade fever and a "my throat hurts" that I am doing the watch and wait game with.

6. becasquared

He's running a fever again, 103. Alice is fine though, I think my husband is going to take her to school once Roycie wakes up. My husband has to get his car fixed today and I'm thinking only dealing with one kid would be better than dealing with two at the mechanics.

7. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I feel your pain - my DS had strep about a month ago and then a week after finishing antibiotics, all four of us got it!! We all four did a round of antibiotics and we are taking them back in a couple of days to test them again to make sure it's gone. What a mess.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Strep is the worst! I am prone to it and the kids have both had it twice already. It does seem to circulate around a few times. Hopefully Alice doesn't get it, but maybe see if you can cut out the contact for a few days so she's not passing it back to Royce.

9. becasquared

Be nice to me Jen, I still have your address and I might mail you a package laced with bacteria!!

mwuhahahahaa

10. Rollergiraffe

Biological Warfare! That's not even covered in the TOS... I have no recourse! Keep your germy packages to yourself. Or send them to your least favourite local politician or something. ;)

11. becasquared

Maybe I should make him lick his hands and take him on a tour of the Capitol. I can get in all the cool places with my badge.

Actually I was looking online (boredom, something happened to my project) and it says that some people carry the strep bacteria in their throat without symptoms, so if you get it all of the time, you might have a carrier in your house. Find out who, get *them* antibiotics, and it could all go away.

12. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We get it often here too. Ugh, it is so hard to get rid of once someone gets it! Make sure you are replacing toothbrushes every time someone gets it, I found that to help somewhat.

13. Utopia122

That's freakin hilarious!!

14. becasquared

Well, here is a weird thing.

Alice never had a positive strep test, but because of her proximity to Royce, we had her start on abx. That was Tuesday. Today is Saturday, and she woke up screaming at 6:00 this morning with a fairly high (103ish) fever and stomach ache. The stomach ache went away once she ate (she didn't eat dinner last night, so I think she was hungry).

Do you all think that this is the strep being jerky? Like she caught it before he started on antibiotics, and it took this long to make her sick, or do you think she has a virus?

Basically I want to know, is this some new disgusting sickness that we're all going to catch or is it just the strep throat that I already know is going around our house?

15. Rollergiraffe

Could the antibiotics have made her stomach upset? that doesn't explain the fever, but I know whenever anyone is on antibiotics around here there's tummy troubles.

16. becasquared

Update!

Alice is now on steroids because she's allergic to Amoxicillin. I went to pick them up from daycare and she had a rash from her head to her knees. Not raised (yet) so I stopped at Walgreens, picked up some Benedryl, gave her some, then drove home and realized that it would be easier for us to go to Urgent Care tonight than to try to make an appointment for the pediatrician tomorrow plus the benedryl was taking forever. So, no more amoxi, a quick course of steroids, and hopefully that's it.

Eff Ewe Strep throat.

17. Utopia122

Bless her heart! And yours!!

18. becasquared

I'ts just been a sucky sick cycle.

She looks 1000x better after the benedryl and prednisone started working. She still has spots, but maybe 1/10 of what she had. Her poor face was red and swollen when we got to urgent care, so I know I made the right decision to take her in. By the time we left, she was doing much better (benedryl kicked in at that point) and within 20 minutes of the prednisone, she looks almost normal. And her face isn't swollen anymore. Definitely going to be a "check on her once she's asleep" night though.

19. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'm allergic to amoxicillian as well and that seems exactly like my reaction to it. Poor chick. I'm sorry y'all have been on such a sickness bender. Get better!

20. Rollergiraffe

Yuck.. Austin had an amox reaction in the spring. Sucks! Glad she's feeling better though. One thing after another, isn't it?

21. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Bex, Emilie is allergic to amoxicillian as well. She took it when she was 2 for strep and got the rash as well, it was mainly on her face though.

:hug: to Alice and you.

22. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

It's not common knowledge but lots of times a child/person will not test positive on a strep test ESPecially a rapid test- and still have strep! We had this happen here. IT was HORRIBLE. I KNEW Gabe had it and he suffered for a month and then ended up almost choking to death from the tonsils and puss pockets and ended up having to stay in hospital all cuz TWO strep tests (even 24 hr) showed up neg! I know if ONE person in the house gets it- everyone will. (Well, except me cuz I have no tonsils.)

And to answer your question, yes, people and animals can be carriers of strep. These are the people who NEVER truly get rid of it. I was a carrier and had strep 18 times in ONE YEAR when I was 11 before my dad's insurance would pay to yank them! It was HORRIBLE! I was a carrier tho so I always had it and therefore, so did my brother and sister.

Strep is a wildfire illness that will spread to all it touches unless a miracle happens. UGH.

If my kids get it more than I like- we'll be removing tonsils! GL!. I feel for you!

23. lianyla

The stomach thing was likely from being on abx w/o eating. That'll do 'er. As far as the fever, it's prob just her body fighting off the strep. If her throat looks bad after 3 more days, take her in again this strain may be resistant to particular abx.

24. becasquared

Ahhahahahaa. I love this.

25. lianyla

LOL. We have STREP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Amelia had it last week too. I think we all got it from Bex.

27. becasquared

:lol: I'm not laughing at your misfortune, just laughing at the timing.

See what I started Aimee??

28. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I had Strep for 4 days, didn't know it (cuz I never had it before) and no one else got it - not even Tony!

29. Rollergiraffe

Oh man, we're screwed if it's strep communicable by internet! I am going to block you all just in case ;)

30. becasquared

Is there a "lick" emote?

1 person likes this.
  31. lianyla

Adults don't get it like kids do. You don't always know that you have it. And most people do not know that puking is a probable sign of strep throat. I'm thinking my kids had it for over a week before their breath knocked me down and Nic had 103 fever. Gabe NEVER presented and I just knew he had to have it (that's how we roll) so I took him in and HE HAS IT! So.. anyway, I had strep throat 11 times in 14 months as a kid. Back then insurance would not cover unless you basically had it non-stop. I used to get sooo sick I missed almost all of my 3rd and 4th grade year. Turns out I was a carrier. Anyway, long story short. I don't mess w/ the strep. I C K! Let's just say it has been and likely always will be my "kryptonite."

I hope all of your kids that have it are feeling better. Mine are good now but YIKES! I have NEVER seen Nic sooo sick. He couldn't swallow, eat or drink for 24 hours. Oh and last time GAbe had it we ended up in the ER w/ his throat swollen shut from a neg strep test (wink wink) that was actually POSITIVE for ten days! :)

32. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

I woke up with strep throat the morning the movers came to start packing our house to move across the country. At the beginning of June - I was stunned. The sore throat I could've dealt with, but I don't remember strep making me feel like I'd been steamrolled before. I hadn't ever felt so horrible just all over. Fortunately, antibiotics are amazing, and the symptoms cleared up in a day, and I was careful enough that no one else in the house got sick, which is a wonder to be sure.

Hope everyone's feeling better soon, it really sucks to be side swiped by sickness like that!

33. becasquared

WTF? My husband has it now.

First me in June, then the kids in July, now my husband in August!

34. Rollergiraffe

Jeez louise. Strep is a jerk. Maybe just start gargling with straight lysol?

35. lianyla

OH NO!! That's why I make sure we treat everyone at the exact same time. EEK! Hope you don't all get it AGAIN!!