Wall Street Journal Front Page

Discussion in 'General' started by Cristina, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I work at a church and the senior pastor is an identical twin. We get the Wall Street Journal here which he reads cover to cover every day. He brought me the front page that has an article about fraternal twins and identical twins at Twinsburg. If anyone has a chance to read it, it's interesting. I can't link it because the WSJ charges for their website.

Anyway, the premise was the notion that fraternals are often not considered "real" twins and how they feel less than important in Twinsburg every year. How identicals get all the "stuff." It also included quotes from parents who are told their twins aren't real since they are fraternal.

I have told my twin cousins to go and compete in the least alike contest every year, they live in Ohio, but they said the same thing. The one time they went, they felt very out of place and standing up competing in such a competition would make it even more uncomfortable. I went with my boys and they had a blast, but they are identical.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

That is an interesting premise. My sister & I (Identical) participated in a twin event when it was up in Duluth, MN. Of course there were contests and surprisingly we won for our age group! I can definitely see where fraternal twins might feel left out.

3. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It is something we do hear about and something they try hard to deal with. The president of the festival is the m half of m/f twins. I personally feel that fraternals are more free to be themselves at Twins Days but then, I am in the identical crowd (though in terms of media presence we aren't interesting - they go for the good looking/cute/unusual ones - we are the faceless numbers)

This year the fraternal group in the parade wasn't done because the frat set that usually did it wasn't there. (Karen is big in Ohio Irish culture and it was the big Irish festival and she had to be there)

There are fraternal contests but not as many as the identical ones just based on previous numbers attending and entering contests. (we have to count how many sets enter each one)

4. Kendra

you can read it here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904140604576496073704987498.html

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I live in Ohio and probably wouldn't go based on that perception.

6. Kendra

Fraternals are a big part of the festival (and no one there would say they aren't "real twins" - that is idiotic) but again, the perception is towards the identicals.

Most of the research studies are for identicals (and specifically female identicals - a breast study and ageing study) but there are the odd ones that do include fraternals.

Here are some that have come all their lives.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2258532460748&set=o.2204884897&type=1&theater

Nick and Nicole, Rachel and Matthew, Natalie and Nathan, Allison and Shawn. (N&N and A&S were princes and princesses one year all together)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1883022282100&set=o.2204884897&type=1&theater

and this really says a lot

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1487605584703&set=o.2204884897&type=1&theater

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We get the "well they aren't real twins" comment more times than we should. :pardon:

The first time I heard about this festival (being on this site, through Kendra) I instantly thought it was only for identicals. Thankfully, Kendra cleared that up for me. I would totally love to take the girls some year!

My girls were conceived, carried, and birthed at the same time. I'm told in the medical world that means they are twins. :lol: Wish I could say that sometimes. :blush:

1 person likes this.
  8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

That's just weird. Why in the heck would you put that on a shirt?

9. Kendra

In general, if you see what looks like a similar aged couple who don't look like siblings (like Joe and Jamie there) hanging around together your mind goes to dating not twins. It happens from time to time according to m/f sets I know.

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

You know, you can give lip service to it not being about identicals, but even the pictures you post Kendra are all about identicals. It's not a festival about my b/g fraternals. And that's okay. It's not my thing anyway. But protesting too much that's it's not about identicals feels condescending and actually makes it feel more alienating than it otherwise would if that makes sense. It's not the kind of thing I'd do anyway because it feels weird.

1 person likes this.
  11. Cristina

Thanks Kendra, I couldn't find it without having to pay for the subscription.

12. Cristina

I will admit that the one time we went, it felt like an identical festival. My boys were a little freaked out that so many people looked alike, and they are identical. It did help them see how others perceive them. I will say that I don't know if I would be interested if I had frats just because it does feel like an ID get together.

13. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I've even had a parent of fraternal twins comment that I "had the real kind of twins" since my boys are identical.

I think there is just more "mystery" and intrigue regarding identical twins, so they get more attention. It certainly doesn't make them any more of a twin than fraternal twins!

1 person likes this.
  14. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

This is interesting because when I read this article (on FB, before seeing it here) I immediately thought about an old thread where we joked about the hierarchy and how b/g frats "win" from the parent perspective.

I can't imagine going to Twin Days for myself, but I would take the girls if they ever felt strongly about attending.

Edited because I can't spell on my iPad.

15. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Actually, the WSJ also has video from the festival that's accessible at this URL:

http://online.wsj.com/video/fraternals-vs-identicals-at-a-festival-of-twins/5B646803-BE9D-4306-AEB5-9BB63AB9986C.html

16. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I'm guessing because they get that question or suggestion a lot. My brother and I lived together before I got married. Sharing an apartment, hanging out a lot, going to concerts together, etc. people who didn't know us well often thought we were dating. I wouldn't have worn a t-shirt like that, but if you wanted an outfit for twinsdays, I guess I could maybe see it.

17. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Having grown up in the area and seen coverage of the festival over the years, I can TOTALLY see how the media coverage of the event is definitely slanted towards identical twins. I can't relate to the perception of fraternal twins or parents of fraternal twins regarding the festival, but having attended it as a parent of twins I didn't feel a separation between the two types of twins. In fact, I quite enjoyed seeing all kinds of twins of all ages. But I am guilty of playing up their identical twinness by dressing them the same, which I hardly ever do. I read the article and saw the video and it was very interesting... I would have never thought that and I will be more sensitive to that perspective in the future!

I am not one to get overly worked up, but if I were... I got one comment that kind of raised my eyebrows. I have three boys (2.5 year old twins and a 1 year old singleton) that I was carting around in a Choo Choo Wagon. I overheard a child say "look mom, there's triplets" and his mom said "no, that's just a baby." Made me feel kind of bad for my youngest son... poor choice of words, Mom! My twins are usually the ones getting attention, it was weird to have my son's singleness pointed out!

18. Cristina

Really? I have been told by fraternal twin moms the opposite. Funny how people's perceptions can be so different even though we share something in common.

19. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

It was a pretty funny thread. I'll find it.

It seems like everything kid-related comes down to a contest for some people. All of it is pretty silly to me.

20. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

My twins are fraternal and I have never been told that my twins arent' "the real kind".

My girls love to go to Twins Days. We have been there several times and had planned to go this year until my father-in-law passed away. Now the girls are counting down until next year. They even won least alike for their age one year.

My girls love to see all of the twins dressed alike wheather or not they are identical. It does seem like the identical twins get more attention but that is just because it is neet to see all of them. My girls don't feel left out. Maybe that will change in a few years, I'm not sure.

21. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I think when people think of twins their mind automatically goes towards identical. Look at movies you really only see identical twins.

I think it is neat the girls are twins, but I have seen the toll that being identical takes on them the older that they get. Zoe even wishes she looked different so people would not get them mixed up. This even caused Zoe to want to grow out her hair so they looked different.

Identical or Fraternal twins are twinsregardless of how anyone looks at it.

1 person likes this.
  22. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

We've always liked it when we've gone -- never gave a second's thought to whether identical/fraternal was better or not. Twins are twins, to us! I don't even know if my kids are identical or not.

The first year -- we missed the "Youngest Twin" contest by an hour (the twins were six weeks old, and we were late to everything those first few months, years, well you know.)The winners were a couple months old, I think. But, all in fun. Now, if the organizers had had a "Last To Get Here" contest, no competition!
    The second year -- the boys danced on the stage during the vote tally. We didn't win (I think it was one of the most alike contests), but they had fun and made the audience laugh!
    The last year we went -- we were in the parade. We went with my friend, who has triplets. That was the first year we actually were on time for the parade, since punctuality has never been our strong suit.

The point is -- it's a great time, full of contests(if you want) and just neat to watch all the twins and their costumes!The idea that fraternals feel singled out for any reason is surprising to me. I can understand why the media makes a bigger fuss about twins that look alike than twins who don't, but people who know twins know better.
    MIL sent me a link to that article. My reaction: :woah: