The girls are here!

Discussion in 'General' started by twinkler, Aug 30, 2011.

1. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Well, I can't believe that I'm joining this particular forum.
    I'm writing this on my cellphone so this note will be very short.
    Had emergency c/s yesterday as baby A's heartrate was flatlining. She was doing fine after birth with some assisted breathing but last nite they noticed she was having siezures, so after medication, her brain activity not very good. Just wait and see, she is very doped up. I have only seen her twice since her birth 29 hours ago, asleep each time.
    Baby B was born with a blocked oesaphagus and will be needing surgery. She was whisked off to a surgical pediatric hospital the other side of the city, 5 hours after birth. I got to hold her for 5mins.
    So here I am, in maternity with c/s pain, baby A one level and 3 long corridors up, and baby B half the city away.
    And all I can do is wait and see.
    The positive is that baby a's weight was 5lb8oz and baby b 4lb6oz which means they are in a fighting fit position to handle all the rigorous tests they are both going thru.
    I will write the full story when I get home.
    The staff are trying to move baby a and I to a hospital closer to baby b.
    I will try to update when I know more.
    Please keep my babies in your prayers.

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Tas, congratulations!! :wub: I'm sorry that you don't have your babies with you right there... I will be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Please keep us updated on their progress!!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh Tas, I'm sorry they can't be with you right now.

But very healthy weights and I'm glad that you were able to get them delivered as soon as they found an issue. You'll all be in my thoughts.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Tas,

Congrats on the birth of your babies. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear that they are in separate hospitals and you aren't able to see them as you'd like. :(

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am thinking of you and your beautiful girls.

6. twinkler

Baby B (Sierra) having throat surgery tomorrow 8.30 to join her oesophagus to her stomach.
    I can't believe this is happening, It's all surreal.

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your babies! So good to know that your doctors reacted immediately once they discovered something could be critical and also good to see the hospital system trying to find a way for the three of you to be close together again as soon as possible. Both babies need you and you need to recover from the c-section, so travelling all over town sounds dreadful.

We will be keeping your girls and your whole family in our prayers!

9. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Tas-I am thinking of you all!!! I hope that VERY soon you are all together and recovering well. Please keep us posted when you can. Take care, and know that we are all pulling for you and your girls and hoping for the very best!!

10. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: My thoughts are with you & your little girls - I also hope you'll all be together & recovering well soon. Keep us posted as you're able. :hug:

11. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Sending good thoughts to you and your family!

12. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Tas, congrats on your girls arrival!

Please keep us updated on how they (and you!) are doing. We'll all being thinking of you.

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wub: Congrats on your babies. I'm sorry you are all in different places right now, I know that's not easy. :hug: They are good weights. I hope Sierra's surgery goes well tomorrow. :hug:

14. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats on your babies....

Hoping surgery goes well. Keep us posted on how they are doing...will keep them in my prayers!

15. twinkler

I'm trying to pump colorustum every three hours.
    Baby A (Liara) will hopefully get the 4mls i've managed so far. They want to wait for her to grow a bit more over the next week when they will do an MRI. She is the one to most worry about even tho Sierra is the farthest away.
    I feel lost and helpless.

16. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations on the delivery of your girls. I am sorry that it didn't go well, but take heart in the fact that both your girls are getting the treatment that they need. Do what you can to be with them, and take your down time to rest and recover so you have the energy to take care of them when they come home. Keep us posted on how things are going :grouphug:

17. ECUBitzy

I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

18. Tamaralynn

I am so sorry Tas. I have been "stalking" this post all day for updates. You, Liara and Sierra are in my thoughts.

19. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I will be thinking of you as well... praying all goes well.

20. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How did Sierra's surgery go this morning? and how is Liara doing today? I continue to think of you girls.
    I am sorry you are feeling lost and helpless, :hug: but just keep in mind they are getting the help they need right now.

21. twinkler

Sierra had surgery yesterday to fix her blocked esophagus and it was succesful. Liara is stilll experiencing some electro seizures but came off her sedatives today to see how she will cope. She goes for an MRI next week.
    Expressing every 3 hours.

4 people like this.
  22. Tamaralynn

I am glad Sierra's surgery went well. Hoping that Liara has a good day. You and your girls have been in my thoughts.

23. twinkler

Liara feeding 5mls every 3 hrs. Sierra to start feeding Sat, when I get discharged AND I will get to have skin 2 skin finally!

24. twinkler

Thank you for thinking of us. Wish I could write more, still using my cell phone.

25. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

Glad the surgery went well, I too have been stalking to find out updates on your sweet bables!

26. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations for your girls and I am so sorry to hear about your trials with them :(. I am glad to hear the surgery went well, and I hope the seizures will stop also. You and your girls are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you will recover quickly to be there for them in your best shape. Good luck with everything!

Ah, and I forgot to mention, I love their names.

27. Tamaralynn

Yay about Skin to Skin! They wouldnt let me do that with William when he was in the NICU and I was so angry about that. I believe it helps a lot!

28. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Good to read that the surgery went well for Sierra and that Liara is doing a little better too. We will continue keeping you all in our prayers!

29. twinkler

Back home again, but without the bubs :(... Liara and Sierra still both at different hospitals, it's hectic and I'm running on adrenalin going between the two hospitals every day since discharge on Saturday...

Sierra is recovering really well from the surgery but the poor darling is so hungry as she is only allowed 2mls per hour but that is now increasing 1ml per 6 hours until she reaches 13mls hopefully by Thursday when she can get the boob!!

Liara back on sedation as she is still experiencing seizures BUT I have been able to breastfeed her which she took to naturally.. still waiting on the date and time for the MRI.

Hopefully Sierra will be moved to be with Liara sometime over the next few days if that hospital has a cot spare for her, until then rush here to there and pump in between...

They probably won't be home until at the earliest end of next week.. I'm so busy that I don't have time to think, which in itself is a good thing.

Thank you all for keeping us in thoughts and prayers - I cannot tell you enough how much it meant to me to read all your wonderful words of support when I was feeling lonely and alone in my hospital bed... it really helped me through those awful days..

Love to you all and another update as soon as I have an extra five minutes to spare lol!!

Tas, Liara and Sierra xxx :hug:

30. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update- I hope they can do the MRI soon and give you some answers. I hope they can move Sierra to be with her sister soon too - maybe if they can put them together it will help sweet Liara. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. How is your oldest child doing through all of this?

31. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, what a roller coaster! Congrats on the birth of your babies and I'm happy Sierra's surgery went well:) I will say a prayer for your family that you are all reunited and home soon!! Please remember to take care of yourself as well!

32. Tamaralynn

Thanks for the update. You and your girls have been on my mind since I read your first post. The girls and yourself will continue to be in my thoughts.

33. ECUBitzy

Tas, how are you and the girls doing?

34. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for the update Tas - you ladies have all been on my mind & heart a lot too over the past days. :hug: I hope the girls are able to be at the same hospital soon to take some of the hectic out of life for you. :hug:

35. twinkler

Hello everybody - thank you again for replying to my updates, it's nice to come back online and see your lovely messages of hope :)

I've managed to get into a routine, expressing a couple of times during the night, up at about 7.30am, spend some time with Aliah before she walks herself to school, arrive with DH to Liara's hospital by 9.30, breastfeed 10am, express, leave at noon, have lunch, do errands, drive to Sierra's hospital to arrive 2-2.30pm, express, spend time with Sierra, leave about 5.30pm to arrive home by 7pm - I've been so fortunate to have an amazing Mum who arrives at my home at about 3pm to meet Aliah (DD) after school, she does the laundry, tidies the house, and prepares dinner for us!

Now that we have a routine, it hasn't been too bad. I've been very conscious to spend the evening with her and some of the morning also (although she still watches cartoons so usually I'm in her way lol!). While I was in hospital it was hard because that hospital is where Liara is and they are very stringent on infection control, so no siblings or children under 16!! She still hasn't seen Liara yet but she has spent quite some time at Sierra's hospital because that's a children's hospital and quite a bit more relaxed.

We still take her to her Scouts meeting and this weekend she is off to a Scouts camp, so even though it has been hard and I miss not hanging out with her and my girls together, I want to make she doesn't feel that she is missing out on things because of our hectic schedule. I'm very blessed really as she is a beautiful soul.
    ------------
    Liara had her MRI today and we will find out the results tomorrow. Apparently it all went well and she slept all through it!! Yay..
    She's now 2.64kg (birth weight (2.66kg)
    She's taken to the breast really well and her suck feeds are going well also although this morning she had a few dips in her heart rate while feeding which is her forgetting to breathe while she is gulping?..(I don't know if anyone has had something similar happening - perhaps I will post about this separately?)
    She is ready to come home soon.
    ------------
    Sierra's temperature has been down but today she was asleep our whole visit which although a shame is actually a good sign as it means that she is not as hungry as she is now up to 10mls per hour. She's now 2.13kg (birth weight was 2.09)
    No news on her transfer as yet, still waiting on a cot to be available at Liara's hospital.
    ------------
    I'm doing okay, my back is killing me, all these really uncomfortable chairs at hospitals plus still finding that I hunch over because of the c-section. Not in pain, just uncomfortable.
    ------------
    DH goes back to work on Monday, so Mum will be coming over to take me to the hospital, hopefully by then they will be at the same one!
    ------------
    We have spent nearly $300 on parking and toll fees in one week - can you believe it? It's incredible, huh? And that doesn't even include the fuel driving back and forth.
    ------------
    I've been so lucky to have my mum's help, I don't know what I'd do without her, especially as the teacher's are on strike tomorrow so no school! So tonight Aliah is with her and tomorrow being taken for a hair cut, so something special for her. I so badly need a cut myself, but oh, where to find the time!

All in all, it's still playing out as a day by day thing.. we are coping, what else can you do in this situation? Too tired to think about expending energy getting upset or angry. When it's all over and they are home, in their nursery with all their things about them, people can come and visit and we can be a family again, that's all I can aim towards, for now... little steps...

1 person likes this.