Perhaps the dumbest formula question ever

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carrie-, Sep 18, 2011.

1. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

Ok. We formula-feed our girls. We also make the bottles right when we need them, we dont make ahead & refridgerate (so we can use warm tap water).

So, we measure 5 oz of water in the bottle (for instance), add 2.5 scoops of formula, then shake. The amount of liquid in the bottle is now somewhere around 5+3/4th ounces.

How much is that bottle considered? I honestly feel so dumb but I can kind of see it being 5 oz (the amt of liquid I used) OR 5+3/4 oz (the total volume after powder is added). Anyone know for sure?

2. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

Not dumb! I had the same question when we were formula feeding our twins :) The way I eventually thought about it was the amount of liquid used before adding powder. We used to make a batch of formula for the day using 32 oz of water and 16 scoops and it would make about 36 oz of formula. But I figured that even though it was 36 oz of formula, they were getting the nutrition from the 16 scoops/32oz not 18 scoops/36oz. So I used to say they took 32oz of formula a day. I'm not sure if that's correct necessarily, but that's how I used to think about it.

3. ward

ward Well-Known Member

i actually think what ever the volume is after the formula is added. So we normally do 4 oz of water to 2 scoops and end up with about 4 1/2 oz sometimes we do a little over the 4 oz and get 5 oz after the formula is added. You have to figure that the amount after the formula is added is truly what is filling up those little tummies.

4. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

Ok at least I'm not the only one who can see it both ways. I might call the formula company to ask them, if I can ever find 10 minutes. Thanks!

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always took the total amount, after the formula was added. At one point the two of them were taking 70 oz combined per day :faint:

I always hated mixing up 8oz bottles by shaking, because 8oz of water plus 4 scoops of formula didn't fit in the bottle right to mix it up! Drove me CRAZY! :lol:

6. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

Nope had the same question here we used to count what it was mixed now we just refer to how much water we add. At 4 months they are eating about 6 oz each (almost 7 with formula added) but we stopped caring when they got over 4 ozs. I guess we thought why does it matter really, what matters is that they are full and happy when done eating. PS we do the same thing mix as we make the bottles, hate the warming up if its cold. Had to do it with the breastmilk but I stopped BFing a couple weeks ago.

1 person likes this.
  7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hint: (We used to do this, it works out faboo.) Get an electric tea-kettle. Make a pitcher of double strength formula. Babies get hungry, turn tea-kettle on, prepare bottles, pour double strength to half of what the ounces should be, then fill up the rest of the way with the now boiling water. Perfect temperature and no bubbles from mixing it right before they drink it. Alice couldn't handle the bubbles from shaking at any small amount, bad reflux.