CROCK POT cookers! Share your favorite tried and true recipes

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Oct 1, 2011.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I know that every season can be crock pot cooking season but I feel that this time of year when the weather is getting cooler it is a great time to put the crock pot to good use.

Can you please start some topics with your favorite tried and true recipes for a main course, side dishes and even desserts for the crock pot and can you put "crock pot" in the topic description.

[​IMG]

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Can we just put them in this thread?

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would say definitely just put them in this thread. :good: I love my crock pot & can always use some new ideas!

1 person likes this.
  4. rrodman

Carnitas

Put a 3-4 pound pork shoulder roast in the crock pot, dump a packet of taco seasoning on it, and add a 1/2 cup of water. Let cook all day on low (8-10 hours), then shred pork with two forks. Use for build your own tacos or serve over rice.

This is super easy. No big deal if it cooks for longer. It's usually 11-12 hours for us.

5. rrodman

Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken With Ginger and Yogurt

1/3 cup tomato paste
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    1 tablesppon grated fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 10)
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
    1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
    2 scallions, thinly sliced

1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the tomato paste, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, and ¾ cup water. Add the onion and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.

2. Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).

3. Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.

4. Just before serving, add the yogurt and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.

I LOVE this one, and it's pretty easy in the morning.

ETA: Same deal on the cooking time. We've done 11-12 hours. Anything I post, assume I've gone 11-12 hours with it with no problem.

6. rrodman

Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak

2 pounds lean ground beef
    1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 (1 ounce) packet dry au jus mix
    3/4 cup water

In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs, and milk using your hands. Shape into 8 patties.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the patties in flour just to coat, and quickly brown on both sides in the hot skillet. Place browned patties into the slow cooker stacking alternately like a pyramid. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, au jus mix, and water. Pour over the meat. Cook on the Low setting for 4 or 5 hours, until ground beef is well done.

This one I have NOT cooked all day. It's really good, but a little on the fattening, greasy side.

7. rrodman

Slow cooker potato soup

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 lb of thick sliced bacon
    2 medium onions, chopped
    10 medium (not large) potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
    4 cups of chicken stock
    1 pint of half and half
    Salt & Pepper for taste
    3-4 sprigs of thyme
    2 bay leaves

DIRECTIONS
    Peel the potatoes and chop into one inch cubes
    Place potato cubes into a large bowl of water and quickly add a few squirts of lemon juice to the water. This will prevent the potatoes from turning brown.
    Cook the bacon until crisp. Then dice up the bacon.
    Remove the bacon from the pan but leave the fat in the pan.
    Add the chopped onions to the bacon fat in the pan and heat the onions until they become translucent.
    Take all of the ingredients except for the half and half and bacon and put in the Crock Pot.
    Cook on low for 10-12 hours
    After 10-12 hours add the half and half to the mixture and stir it in real good. There is no need (don’t do it) to cook the half and half.
    At this point decide if you would like the potatoes in cube form in your soup or you would like creamy potatoes in your soup. If you would like creamy potatoes get out the masher and go to work.
    Ladle the soup out into soup cups and sprinkle the cooked bacon bits on top.

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Rachael, that recipe sounds absolutely divine, and right up my alley! We use the crockpot 2-3 times a week.

I do like Rachael does with the pork, but I use chicken. I put in 4 frozen chicken breasts, a packet of taco seasoning and a cup of water. Cook on low 8 hours and shred it for some great taco/burrito stuffing. You can also use salsa, but my kids don't luck any chunks of tomato showing!

I also do meatball sandwiches a lot on sports nights. I throw a bag of frozen meatballs in when we get home from school (3-3:30). I cover them in a jar of pasta sauce and cook them on low for 3-4 hours until we get home from practice. Throw them in a roll with some sliced mozzarella and you have a yummy meatball sandwich!

Our favorite though is White Chicken Chili: 4 frozen chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, 4 cans of white beans, 1 can of chicken broth. Cook all day on low (8 hours); shred the chicken with a fork and serve with cheese and tortilla strips. So easy and so yummy.

I do buy the large bags of flash frozen chicken breasts for crockpot cooking. They are cheaper (although have more sodium) and I just find that they tend not to dry out as fast as fresh, thawed breasts.

9. rrodman

Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken with Rice
    Ingredients
    1 package (1 pound 4 ounces) bone-in skinless chicken thighs
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice (2 limes)
    1 1/2 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 cup uncooked instant rice
    Chopped fresh parsley, if desired

Directions
    Place chicken in 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except rice and parsley.
    Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours. During last 15 minutes of cooking, stir in rice.
    Remove chicken from cooker. Place cooked rice on each serving plate. Top with chicken. Spoon any remaining juices over chicken. Garnish with parsley.

Yummy and light.

10. rrodman

LOL. Which one? I went a little crazy! The curried chicken on is one of my favorite recipes period.

11. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My favorite is a version of Italian Beef.

I throw in a bunch of potatoes and carrots. I put in a roast. I top that with a jar of mild banana pepper rings, juice and all. Two beef buillion cubes and enough water to almost cover. Then I sprinkle with Italian Seasoning and a little cayenne pepper.

I tend to use this for Sunday afternoon after church. So I start it Saturday night on low right when I go to bed (11ish). Then, in the morning I cut up the meat and put it back in the crockpot and leave it on low till we get home from church. It's incredibly tender and everybody loves it. We walk in the door and eat.

Marissa

12. twin_trip_mommy

Thank you for going a little crazy.

I am going to have to try these

13. rrodman

Slow-Cooker Creamy Chicken With Biscuits

3/4 pound carrots (about 4), cut into 1-inch lengths
    2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
    1 small onion, chopped
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    6 (store-bought or Easy Drop Biscuits; see recipe), split
    1 cup frozen peas
    1/2 cup heavy cream

1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, toss together the carrots, celery, onion, and flour. Place the chicken on top and season with the poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the wine and broth.

2. Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours (this will shorten total cooking time). [Also not a 10-12 hour one!]

3. Thirty minutes before serving, prepare the Easy Drop Biscuits (if using).

4. Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, cream, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more.

5. To serve, place the bottom halves of the biscuits in shallow bowls, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining biscuit halves.

Easy Drop Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
    1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 cup whole milk

1. Heat oven to 400° F. In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, baking powder, and salt; pulse until pea-size clumps form. Add the milk and pulse just until moistened.

2. Drop 6 large mounds of the dough (about ½ cup each) onto a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.

This one is pretty easy around the holidays when you can buy prechopped veggies.

14. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Blueberry Cobbler

Ingredients

1 cup flour

1 1/2 cups sugar, divided

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

2 eggs, beaten

2 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 cups blueberries

1/2 cup water

Directions

1.Combine flour, ¼ cups sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
    2.In another bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil. Stir into dry mixture until moist. Spread over bottom of slow cooker.
    3.In a saucepan, combine blueberries, water and remaining sugar. Pour into slow cooker. Cover; cook on High for 2 hours.

I have also used half blueberries half raspberries

15. Tamaralynn

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Ingredients for the meatballs:

■1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    ■1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    ■1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    ■2 cloves garlic, minced
    ■1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    ■1 egg, beaten

Sauce:

■2 tins of diced tomatoes (I usually use the herb seasoned ones
    ■2 tins of tomatoe paste
    ■1 tin of tomatoe sauce

Season it like you do for your usually spaghetti sauce
    Directions

1.In a bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, onion, and egg. Shape the mixture into 16 meatballs.
    2.In a slow cooker, mix the spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes, and tomato puree. Place the meatballs into the sauce mixture. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

16. Tamaralynn

THis is the recipe of Beef Stoup, I made it with Chicken, and of coursed used Chicken broth instead of beef broth.

1 sm bag of baby carrots

3 roughly chopped parsnips

1 sm bag of mini potatoes, washed and halved

4 celery stocks, roughly chopped

1 medium onion, sliced

3 cloves of garlic

1 can diced tomatoes

1 C beer or red wine (optional, if not used replace with beef broth)

1 or 2 bay leaves

1 sprig of Thyme (optional)

2 C beef broth

2 lbs stewing beef

3 tbsp olive oil

3 tbsp flour

salt / pepper to taste

Turn on your crock pot. Throw in your carrots, potatoes, celery and sliced onion and bay leaves.

Trim the fat from your stewing beef and heat oil in pan to medium-high heat.

Mix the flour, salt & pepper on a plate and dredge your stewing beef before putting it in the hot pan.

Brown the beef (do not 'crowd' your beef or it will get soggy).

Put the meat in your crockpot on top of your vegetables and put in your garlic and other spices.

Put all your liquids in your pan over medium heat and scrap up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan as the liquids reduce a little.

Once you notice your liquid reducing and thickening up a little, add it to your crockpot. Walk away.

17. Tamaralynn

Guinness Stew

•1-1.5 trays of stewing beef, cut into half inch chunks.

•1 gravy sachet

•1-2-3 tablespoons of Bisto gravy granules to flavour the beef (DO NOT worry about thickness at this stage, you'll worry more after it's been stewing for a couple hours, THEN you can add stuff to thicken.)

•2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce

•2 tablespoons of soya

•2 tablespoons of balsamic

•2-4 carrots, cut into little 1/2 inch chunks or round circles, preference based.

•turnips- dice them into wee almost dissolvable bits, say 1 or 1/2 centimeter bits.

•1-2 onions, same as turnips.

•leek, wee again like the onion/turnips

•celery, little bits too.

•shallots- leave chunky, or whole if they're small. They get so yummy and tender when just stewed whole, like a little treat.peas- optional.

1. Put cut up beef into pot

2. Sprinkle with all the dry ingredients, ie. gravy, oxo cube, Bisto, stir so it adheres to beef.

3. Add wooster, soya, balsamic to pot, and leave at room temp in pot for an hour to get happy. Use this time to cut up your veg.

4. Add cut veg and can of Guinness.

5. Add 1 of the Oxo/Knorr beef broth cubes diluted in about a cup of boiling water. You want the liquid about 3/4-1 inch above the

ingredients * however, you want to keep the waterline at least 1 inch BELOW the top of the pot for boiling clearance.

6. Cook on low for 8 hrs. Veg should be squashable with the back of a spoon against the side.

Extra Guinness: sub another can for the beef broth.

You can't really mess it up- if after cooking it hasn't thickened, dilute about 1/2-1 tablespoon of cornstarch into a couple tablespoons of COLD tap water, and THEN put it in (if you don't dilute in cold water, the hot temp. will lumpify the cornstarch, and then everyone will be able to tell you had to add cornstarch to thicken it and that you're a rubbish chef!)

I have also made this without the Guiness and it is just as good.

18. Tamaralynn

Whole Chicken

1.5 to 2 teaspoons of Salt
    2 teaspoons of Paprika
    1 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon of onion powder (I never put the onion powder in, I chop up an onion and throw it in with the chicken)
    1 teaspoon of thyme (optional)
    1/2 teaspoons of garlic (I used the minced garlic)
    1/2 teaspoons of pepper.

Mix everything together, accept the minced garlic. IF you are using garlic powder, then of course mix that in as well. Rub it onto your chicken. Put in the crock pot, cook on high for 1 hr and low for 5-7 hrs. I usually cook it for 8 hrs altogether. I have also done this with a frozen chicken, I jus cook it on high for 3 hrs before I turn it to low. If you are using minced garlic, sprinkle it on top of the Chicken after you have rubbed the spices into it. I add potatoes and carrots to it with 3 hrs left to cook.

19. twin_trip_mommy

would this work well with halved and pounded chicken breast or maybe pounded and diced chicken breast?

20. twin_trip_mommy

oh this sounds good.

What is the skin like when finished? Is it something I should expect to be soggy-ish?

21. Tamaralynn

It's not really soggy, well the top of it anyway. The chicken pretty much falls off the bone. I make soup with it afterward

22. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just learned this recipe and it's one of my new favourites.. can't get enough!

Cassoulet style Italian Sausage and White Beans

2.5 lb of sweet Italian sausage (or any kind of sausage will do)
    3 pints cherry tomatoes halved(or a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes will do)
    1 large onion cut into chunks
    4 large cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp thyme
    3 bay leaves
    3 cans of white kidney beans/canellini beans

Brown sausages and onions. Add sausages, onions and remaining ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 8 hrs. Done!

23. twin_trip_mommy

another yummy one we will be trying :good:

24. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

25. Tamaralynn

Can you tell I use my Crock Pot a lot? haha

1 person likes this.
  26. twin_trip_mommy

Mmmmmmmm Maybe tomorrow for this one.

Can the recipe be doubled in the crock pot?

would the cooking time change?

27. rrodman

I think it would be worth a try. Particularly if you could keep it on the low end of cooking. A lot of slow cooker recipes use thighs because they hold up better to long cooking without drying out.

28. rrodman

Wow this sounds fabulous. Yum!!!!

29. Tamaralynn

I've never doubled it. I would think you could, and you would prob have to cook it longer. The top goes like cake and the bottom goes like a pudding. If you have ever had Chocolate pudding cake, this is pretty much the same thing but with fruit. I have a recipe for chocolate pudding cake in the crock pot too somewhere

1 person likes this.
  30. twin_trip_mommy

share please!

31. twin_trip_mommy

:) dh really liked the sound of this one also so we will be trying it soon

32. Tamaralynn

Chocolate Pudding Cake

Ingredients:
    •1 cup packed brown sugar
    •1 cup all-purpose flour
    •3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    •2 teaspoons baking powder
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •1/2 cup milk
    •2 tablespoons butter, melted
    •1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    •1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    •3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    •1 3/4 cups boiling water
    Preparation:
    Spray the crock-pot or slow cooker with baking spray.
    Mix 1 cup brown sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in milk, margarine and vanilla. Spoon batter into bottom of crock pot (dough is very thick).

In another bowl, mix together 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Do not stir.

Pour boiling water over the top. Do not stir. Cover and cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the crock-pot (pudding will be bubbling through).

Serve immediately with ice cream or whipped topping if desired. Or let set for 10 minutes and then invert onto a plate. Spoon pudding left in the pot over the cake.

Makes 8 servings or slices of chocolate pudding crockpot cake.

I do have some left over on the ODD occasion, you just need to put it in the fridge and I zap it inthe mircowave the next day.

33. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I use that rub and then smoke the chicken in our smoker. I've done the rub (times 2 or 3) and done a turkey in the smoker with it. Very good.

Marissa

34. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

Just read another page where you mentioned this recipe - thanks, I'll def try it out!

35. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

LOVING this thread! :Clap: I am crockpot hesitant. :laughing: I want to use it, but I'm afraid of it not turning out right. :blush: I'm definitely going to be using some of these to try it though!

So...how come all those other recipes are single-posts and not in here? :search: